Making a Daily Driver F150 SCrew "expedition" ready on a budget

I grew up in the outdoors of Idaho basically doing "expedition" stuff my entire childhood just not knowing there was a fancy name for it. Spending time in the backcountry was part of hunting, fishing, finding a new hiking trail or called family summer vacation. Fast forward a few too many years, and I now live in the "rust-belt", got an office job that keeps the roof sealed and the table populated with food, and 2 kids that I want to enjoy the outdoors like I did. Unfortunately, I don't live on the edge of BLM lands like when I was young, so I can't just run out whenever I want in the truck or on a motorcycle. (Oh how I miss public lands!) Therefore, any camping trip has to be considered an expedition, and I need to be able to quickly convert the truck from daily driver into an "expedition"/camping rig. Also, with young kids, keeping things on a reasonable budget is required.

Vehicle: 2016 F150 SuperCrew 2.7L Ecoboost 4x4 Sport
Plan: Add simple features that will improve off road capability and back country fun. There is currently is no plan for a RTT (I'm 6'6" and my son is expected to be taller then I am) or other 'fancy accoutrements'.
First major trip: 1 week of adventure, waterfall hunting, fishing and camping in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

After picking up the truck, I got some of the immediate things taken care of right way. It has a 1 3/4" front leveling kit, trifold soft tonneau cover (it at least keeps the prying eyes away even if not 100% secure) and Husky full coverage mats.

Here is the rig:
20161104_074409_1490374922937.jpg

The F150 comes with Ford branded BoxLink tie down points in the bed. Interestingly enough, etrack accessories will fit in place of these tie down points. Since this is a brand new truck, I really don't want to be drilling holes in everything or hacking it up too much. I've built multiple cars and bikes thru the years that involved major surgery, but I'm not ready to do that to the truck yet.

I need a place to mount things like an axe, shovel, maybe a hilift in the future (not even sure if I am going that route or not). I built out a frame from scrap I had in the garage along with the etrack 2x4 mounts that will allow me multiple options for mounting. This is test fit, but will be removed and hopefully stained and sealed this weekend.

20170321_192929_1490374924289 (Medium).jpg

Since the etrack brackets weren't 100% tight in the BoxLink mounting holes, I just made some "gaskets" out of an old camp mat. The goal here is functional, and use as much of what I already have on hand as possible.

Since the weather has been up and down so much, I also started work on other projects that were needed. I am building a chuck box, but I wanted a rollup for the utensils. Had some leftover fabric from past projects and I use a lot of paracord for projects - so this came to be:

IMG_20170312_185722_1490374923842 (Medium).jpg

Also have my etool (folding shovel) that I didn't have a case for. Had some duck cloth left over from a messenger bag project and voilà! After I made it I realized I didn't put any straps on it so that I can attach it to a Molle system, so I'll probably just use some heavy duty snap fasteners and add those later.

IMG_20170312_170201_1490374923465 (Medium).jpg

I am currently working on trying to finish the structure for the chuck box, then once I have test fit everything I will sand, stain and seal it. I also have scepter 5 gallon jerry (costco!) and 2 of the walmart version of the scepter 6 gallon water jugs that I need to build a structure for. The plan for that one is to use aluminum and build a simple bracket/harness assembly and then mount that to another one of the etrack adapter brackets on the other side of the truck.

Also I need to identify a simple storage solution for the tent, sleeping bags, etc. I have a get home sling bag in the truck at all times with emergency gear in it, but on the longer trips I will also be carrying a larger more equipped bag. Still determining portable on board air solution (I have a viair 92c from one of my motorcycle air ride projects that I might use), toolkit and jacking strategy. It is interesting though when I think back to all the "way the hell and gone" places my dad and I explored thru the years without all of the equipment that now we consider almost essential as a "just in case".

I'll continue to update this thread as projects get finished. As of now I have a OneNote project list with waaaaay more items unchecked then checked.

p nut

butter
Nice truck. I've got the same for my family as well. Awesome road trip/expedition machine. I'm all stock, though (minus 33" tires and tonneau cover), but gets me to all the places I need to go (so far).

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
We have one as well, 4x4 CC w/ E-locker, and gotta say the easy button is really nice!! I too have been building rigs 'just right' for far too many years- like 40+. This time, just focusing on comfortable, reliable and capable (aka single track beach access, fire service roads, etc) -shy of looking for obstacles.

I tried the trifold soft cover, but went to a bifold aluminum cover realizing the benefit of good load capacity on top of same, as well as secured storage (love that the central locks now lock the tailgate!!). I also considered mounting equipment to Boxlink anchors similarly to OP, but am considering the pull out tray instead. Right now I have less used items in the front end of bed and that is fine, but the thought of such easy access is tempting. Under $1k with some options, including shipping...

Did a 2" leveling kit, and 35" Falken A/T tires on previous generation Raptor Ford SVT 17" wheels. Was able to come out money ahead after selling the 20" set from factory! I like the look of the new Raptor but not to the tune of $80K!! So, I have the 5.0 V-8 with Raptor clone look- pic below. I have since added Yakima tracks to roof enabling crossbar fitment for kayak/ boards/ etc. And a set of Hella 4000 Compacts behind the lower front grille.

Hope I didn't hijack your thread- just love the truck, and think many more folks will see the light so to speak! So much of the time and money spent building ultimate expedition rigs can be used for a nice comfortable rig and get out there traveling!!
Cheers- and hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours!!

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 78
Mine unfortunately does not have the fx4 package like yours RoverTrader. So I just added hill descent for 15$ and forscan and will live without the rear locking diff. I like the Paramount grille and bumper, I've been debating doing either that or the Galaxymoto. When these tires wear out I'll jump up to 35s.

As for the build, just put a couple of coats of stain on the rack and will hopefully work on the water and fuel setup tomorrow afternoon. If the rack dries out like I want, I'll throw the verathane (sp?) on it tomorrow as well.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
welcome from a fellow buckeye!!

we should be having a meet and greet up your way next month!...midwest overlanders on facebook

I would say an arb type awning with the room (that has the floor) and 2 cots that will let you and your son sleep without feet hanging off..stealthy and removable when not in use..

my rig is a Daily Working Driver..so I cant do too many crazy things and cannot afford to damage it...good tires..good driver...smart choices....that will get you almost everywhere you wanna go!!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
awesome...that's cool stuff....make your regular F150 stand out from the crowd without going over the top! I like!

Mfitz

I love what the OP is doing here, I have the same goals/ limited budget for my '15 F150 SCAB 4x4. I'll be watching closely as I have a few weeks before I start building my setup!

Thanks for getting us back on topic Mfitz! Here was the progress from the weekend.

First of all, I got the axe/shovel tool mounts done. Thanks to a friend for providing the quickfists he just had laying around, I'm less then $10 into this.

IMG-20170326-WA0002.jpg

I also made a lot of progress on the grub box. After getting it cut out, I tested it to see if everything would fit. A flat skillet would not, so it will either stay home or go in the dry goods box.
20170325_162159.jpg

Then I glued/screwed everything together and got the doors assembled. I still have to do a lot of finish work on it and add handles, but here is how it sits this weekend. I basically have a skill saw, an inability to run said saw straight, a couple of squares, long straight edge, dull pencil and some time. It isn't anywhere near furniture quality, but it is camping quality. Once finished I'll weight it out.
20170326_203647.jpg
20170326_203605.jpg

Also this weekend got the larger of my 3 ground tents out and set it up. Went thru everything on it and found on of the fiberglass rod pockets needed some repairs so I stitched it up with some dental floss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior