Add Extended Filler Neck To DEF Tank?

Hey everyone,

I am a new Fuso owner.

I have a 2014 Fuso FG, with the fuel tank on the drivers side, and DEF tank on the passenger side.

Right now, the DEF tank is under my camper box and kind of a pain to fill.

I was think about adding a new Filler Neck and routing the neck to the drivers side.

Any reason why this would cause an issue?

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

Decanter

Adventurer
Welcome! IIRC the neck is plastic. I would be careful putting any stresses on it. Otherwise as long as it's downhill and sealed so no debris enters the tank I can't see why it wouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure how you would tell if the tank is full so you would likely end up with DEF in the filler neck you fab'd up. If there is a breather in the tank and you had a long neck with DEF in it the pressure might cause problems with weeping or possibly a code. Not sure about that. Just throwing stuff out there that might cause a problem. My 2 cents.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I think I'd just add the filler neck to the original side, might be fewer issues. You might also look at the builders guide and see if there's anything in there.

Are you using the 1 gallon jugs, or the box wine style?

dlh62c

Explorer
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on being a FG owner.

It's the tipping upwards of the container to pour the DEF into the tank, I bet your having difficulty with. If you move the fill port to the other side you won't be able to see the clear level tube on the tank.

Even with the included spout on the 2 1/2 gallon jugs, your still having difficulty?

You can fill the DEF tank at bulk filling stations at truck stops. But most are located on the wrong side of the fuel island. Be warned, the nossle just fits, there isn't much room for the air to escape. Keep an eye on the level tube as the tank fills fast.

If anyone cares, DEF has been spotted on shelves at AutoZones in Mexico.

Something else, your truck has a Diesel Particulate Filter. The API CJ-4 Engine Oil specification is important to reduce ash buildup in the DPF.

Last edited:

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello Brandon:

As others have said, "Congratulations & Welcome."

Personally, I wouldn't extend the filler across the width of the truck. I see a couple of potential problems:

1. If your driver's side fill isn't considerably higher than the OEM filler on the DEF tank (see #2) you could have some low spots that might hold DEF. Our experience with our 2014 FG suggests that some of the trucks (at least ours!) have extremely finicky sets of sensors that may be sent over the deep end if they get crystallized or "out of bounds concentration" DEF in the system. I'd be afraid that a long run of hose with low spots could send those sensors into a tizzy. We've dealt with sensor "tizzies" more often than I'd like to admit and our current successful strategy has been to keep them comfortable, feed them only the best, etc. However, others here have had no problems at all. Hopefully your truck will be one of those.

2. If your driver's side fill is considerably higher so that there are no low spots and the fluid runs smoothly and rapidly into the tank I think you will overfill the tank frequently. One of the sensor interactions that caused a tizzy for our system was an over fill condition. The system apparently monitors the level an doesn't like to be below a certain level, nor above a certain level.

We have a fairly simple set up that works well for us. We purchased the 2.5 gallon boxes a couple of times and we saved the hose funnels from those boxes. Those hose funnels also thread onto the 1 gallon jugs which we prefer to use (they store better for us). We try to let our tank get down to where it will take 2 gallons (we have our sight tube marked at the full, one gallon down and two gallons down levels). When we're two gallons down (usually about 100 miles after three of the level lights go out) we put in two gallons from two separate jugs using the hose funnel. When done we rinse the hose funnel in water and store it for the next time. We're getting about 450 - 500 miles per gallon or 900 - 1000 miles per filling. So while this process occurs more frequently that I'd like, it isn't something we have to do every day.

Good luck!

Howard

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94