Mitsubishi Monteros few questions from future owner.

Deshet

Adventurer
I have always liked the last version Mitsubishi Monteros not the sports. (available in the USA)
I debated between getting one and a Landcruiser a few years ago
They seem to be similar to the Landcruisers but a much cheaper price.
I always find Sports with Engine Problems. I know they share the same engine but the few ads I find for the Montero don't seem to have the same problems
What are the problems and issues to look out for? (transmission, transfer cases, axles)
Should I focus in on certain years?
They seem to be pretty capable off road.
The interiors seem to hold up well for the age.

Is a diesel swap realistic and do they bolt in? (I know anything can work with enough money and time but is this a weekend bolt-in job using factory mounts)
(no emissions in my area)

I apologize if these questions have been asked but most forums make information like this a sticky.

Thanks everyone

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
"... Is a diesel swap realistic and do they bolt in? (I know anything can work with enough money and time but is this a weekend bolt-in job using factory mounts)
(no emissions in my area)"

No, & no.

If your piggy bank is rather large, then anything is possible. To do such in a weekend means one must have one very sweet shop.

Why a diesel? If it's only for fuel considerations you would likely have to drive it for ever and a day to see a return on the investment [and perceived "fuel savings].

Honestly, I suspect you could easily rebuild two complete engines before even coming close to the cost of a diesel swap. Or buy two Monteros in perfect condition, and drive them on alternate days... it would still be cheaper.

As well, if you are not a decent mechanic, then you will realize that for every 100 gas mechanics you may find 1 decent diesel mechanic. And diesels ain't cheaper to work on than gas engines - if you ain't the mechanic.

Anything can be done... how much you got?

Researching diesel Monteros; info. can be found in Canada, Australia, Aisa, & South America... basically anywhere but the U.S.

KyleT

Explorer
The mechanical 4m41 nearly swaps itself. If ou can locate a engine or parts. Both my 03 and 06 average 15-22mpg depending on driving. Not worth it to swap.

No emissions doesn't mean you can ditch the federal emissions and they weren't certified as a diesel in the US so you technically break federal law.

I would swap a MIVEC V6 and try to get 300hp in it. Economy isn't what it needs, more power is what it needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deshet

Adventurer
I have swapped many engines that did not start life in the USA. It isn't illegal in my state. "This vehicle would be used on my private land offroad and for show purposes exclusively."

I see JDM diesel swaps on ebay for $1500 or less. I have seen these overseas with diesel engines. I would assume that a diesel swap would bolt in with changes to the exhaust and fuel system....and a few other odds and ends. The sellers make it seem like they are bolt in swaps. I prefer diesels. I have been considering importing a diesel Landcruiser from Japan, but I know that the Fuso parts are readily available and figure that they engines probably share some components that will make life easier in the long run. I figured that someone here would have already done the swap.

Thanks,

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
It's a matter of care not the engines as far as Sport vs Montero.

There are Sports with 400k+ on the stock engine.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I have swapped many engines that did not start life in the USA. It isn't illegal in my state. "This vehicle would be used on my private land offroad and for show purposes exclusively."

I see JDM diesel swaps on ebay for $1500 or less. I have seen these overseas with diesel engines. I would assume that a diesel swap would bolt in with changes to the exhaust and fuel system....and a few other odds and ends. The sellers make it seem like they are bolt in swaps. I prefer diesels. I have been considering importing a diesel Landcruiser from Japan, but I know that the Fuso parts are readily available and figure that they engines probably share some components that will make life easier in the long run. I figured that someone here would have already done the swap.

Thanks,

Are you looking for torque or better mileage? Or something else?

KyleT

Explorer

Thanks,

The gen3 is very simple. Gen 2/2.5 even more so. Importing a factory truck is much easier.

Diesels are SLOooooW.

Google 4m41 that's the motor you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I live right across the border from British Columbia, where JDM vehicles abound. I talked to a Mitsubishi mechanic up there about importing a 4M41 from Japan and slipping it into my '01. It makes no sense from a cost-benefit perspective. As was stated above, you could buy a couple of nice rigs for the same money, and there will NEVER come a time when the fuel economy difference would come up to the break-even point.

The Montero is known around the world for durability, reliability, and off road prowess; its running gear is stronger than any Landcruiser's or Land Rover's. If you have your heart set on a diesel, you need to be looking at one that's 25 years old and thus importable.

Now, fiddling with gear ratios is a different matter altogether; that's fairly straightforward.

Deshet

Adventurer
I am not really asking about the longevity of the 3.8 or if it makes financial sense. Almost nothing on this site makes finical sense. These are cheap enough that it doesn't really matter either way.

Does the 4M41 or the 4M40 come in any of the US Fuso box trucks? Does anyone know if the US Monteros have the same transmission and rest of the drive-train as the JDM Diesels Monteros?

Thanks

Swank Force One

Adventurer
4m40 and 4m41 don't come in Fusos that i've seen, but i've also not seen either of them for anything remotely resembling $1500, so there's a first for everything.

In Gen2, they use the same trans for the 6g74 and 4m40. Different bellhousing and i think there's a crossmember change. The swap itself seems extremely easy. I decided against it because i could find things i'd rather spend $4-5k on.

Deshet

Adventurer
4m40 and 4m41 don't come in Fusos that i've seen, but i've also not seen either of them for anything remotely resembling $1500, so there's a first for everything.

In Gen2, they use the same trans for the 6g74 and 4m40. Different bellhousing and i think there's a crossmember change. The swap itself seems extremely easy. I decided against it because i could find things i'd rather spend $4-5k on.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-MITSUBI...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I see them from time to time on ebay. There is an engine importor near me and he has everything. I believe that the engines can be had for a fare price. I occasionally see old fusos with transmission problems for under $1500.00. There is a front clip on Ebay for $3000 now.

Is the 4D56 a no go?

Thanks,

Last edited:

Swank Force One

Adventurer
I'm lost now. We're talking about Gen3 Montero, right?

If you don't want to have a bad time, you'll want to stick with motors that came in your chassis, set up for your chassis.

If you have the capability to get around that easily, the these questions aren't super relevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles