Mitsubishi Monteros few questions from future owner.

Tundraguy81

Observer
Did the op ever say why he wants a diesel? It would probably be just as easy to swap in a 3000gt twin turbo engine or a 3.8 eclipse GT engine for increased performance

Deshet

Adventurer
I don't care much about horsepower. It looks like the 4m40 is the exact engine that would have been put in a diesel montero if they were available in the US. It doesn't seem like it came in anything industrial that Mitsushbsi sent to the US either. Can anyone confirm this information?

Thanks

Swank Force One

Adventurer
I don't care much about horsepower. It looks like the 4m40 is the exact engine that would have been put in a diesel montero if they were available in the US. It doesn't seem like it came in anything industrial that Mitsushbsi sent to the US either. Can anyone confirm this information?

Thanks

The 4m40 (in turbo form) is what they put in the Gen2. From my research (limited on the Gen3, because the 6g75 is pretty nice anyways), the Gen3 would have a 4m41 turbo with direct injection. Ergo: expensive nightmare of a swap.

Deshet

Adventurer
The 4m40 (in turbo form) is what they put in the Gen2. From my research (limited on the Gen3, because the 6g75 is pretty nice anyways), the Gen3 would have a 4m41 turbo with direct injection. Ergo: expensive nightmare of a swap.

Check out this link and go to the 4th pictures. It clearly says 4M40 and that is a 2001
2001 Diesel factory 4M40https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/royal-park/wrecking/2001-mitsubishi-pajero-nj-nm-2-8l-manual-for-wrecking/1137746364

I have a line on getting the 4M40. I have a deal on a Montero Limted that needs and engine.

Thanks

KyleT

Explorer
4m40 was in the 00-01 NM Pajero/Montero/shogun

4m41 is vastly improved and of
You are doing the swap I would do the 4m41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deshet

Adventurer
What I am not 100% clear about is if the 2001 4M40 has a turbo. It seems that earlier versions did not have a Turbo charger.

Thanks,

Deshet

Adventurer
Thanks for the quick answer.

Does the transmission computer for the 3.8 need any information from the engine to shift properly? Does the transmission have it's own computer? Does anyone know if the bellhousing and torque converters are exactly the same? I would assume that some things would be built a little more stought for the diesel setup. Should I spend extra to get the automatic transmission, transfer case, and it's wiring harness?

Thanks,

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Diagrams i've looked at in our 3.8 truck suggest that the trans and engine are on same computer.

If i were to attempt this on the electrical behemoth that is a gen3, i'd want literally an entire donor truck.

Bellhousing for sure will not be the same.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
What I am not 100% clear about is if the 2001 4M40 has a turbo. It seems that earlier versions did not have a Turbo charger.

Thanks,

The Gumtree auto wreckers ad you linked specified that the 4M40 in that '01 was a turbo.

KyleT

Explorer
3.8 has more electronics but iirc the 3.5 has less. Maybe look at a transmission from a NM XLS with the 4 speed, I think those are less computer controlled than the 5 speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deshet

Adventurer
So I found out that the 4m40 has some support in the US. CAT uses them to power their mini excavators. CAT isn't known for having cheap parts but they typical support thertheir equipment for a long time.

http://www.catauctions.com/for-sale/Excavators-Lot-410-2011-Cat-308D-CR-Mini-Excavator-Texas/725955

I started thinking in detail about the transmission and the likely differences. I thought someone posted earlier that transmission were the same between a gas and a diesel. I will need to invest some time into figuring this out.

Thanks

Swank Force One

Adventurer
So I found out that the 4m40 has some support in the US. CAT uses them to power their mini excavators. CAT isn't known for having cheap parts but they typical support thertheir equipment for a long time.

http://www.catauctions.com/for-sale/Excavators-Lot-410-2011-Cat-308D-CR-Mini-Excavator-Texas/725955

I started thinking in detail about the transmission and the likely differences. I thought someone posted earlier that transmission were the same between a gas and a diesel. I will need to invest some time into figuring this out.

Thanks

I posted that, but that was in reference to a Gen2. I was thrown off at the time because of mention of $1500 swaps, which is far from likely in a Gen3, but maybe somewhat possible in a Gen2 if you're ok with a non-turbo 4d56 or something. In Gen2, they're same other than bellhousing. I'd expect the 01-02 Gen3 4 speed trans to follow the same trend, assuming the 4m40 Gen3s had the 4 speed. I have a PDF somewhere with the Gen3 5spd info, i'll try to track it down and see if they're also the same. I would not be surprised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke