Yey, another lighting thread....ha ha..need some advice

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am getting ready to purchase some aux. lights for the patriot. I think I'm going with IPF's new LED system. I am wondering should I get one driving and one spot or two spots. I think the driving on the right side and spot up the road on the left...

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
I'd get a pair of Driving Beams, but that's because I don't think there's much purpose in having a fixed-spot beam on the bumper. You'll get better forward-facing coverage from a pair of the driving beams. However, if you were mounting it to your A-pillar or roof, I'd suggest a Spot Beam to reduce glare from the hood or fenders.

DRIVING-BEAM.jpg

SPOT-BEAM.jpg

Last edited:

chasespeed

Explorer
IPF? Get the 950SRL. Best of both worlds, no ice build-up on the lense, etc etc.

I would personally tailor my lighting toward driving habits/vehicle.

Jeep needs a good fog light. Too slow to get me in trouble. Only vehicle driven in crappy weather.
Charger has fogs, and is getting changed over to a longer beam pattern(live in the woods, and I DRIVE this car).

Chase

kojackJKU

I want these lights for moose spotting on the highways and roads. Fog is not a concern since I will have a separate set for that. My last pair of HID hella were awesome. But I am interested in the IPF LED lights. Just looked at those SRL, they are very interesting.

kojackJKU

They look interesting bill, only thing is, if they are steel housings. They are done for in a year here. I am after having pro comp, KC, etc metal housings and there is so much salt used on the roads they fall apart in a year. Its brutal. I know the IPF led lights are aluminum housings which will stand up better to our climate. From what I have seen, the IPF also puts out a stronger beam as well. The Cibie looks a lot like the Piaa LED setup. I may say ****** it and put another set of hellas on. They work really good and perfect for our area. I need something though. I have been doing a lot of night driving again, the stock lights do not have it. Should have kept my lights off my JK. opps.!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The Cibie's beam is elegant....

Did you ever see this in action?
http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-fog-light-bars-model-9049-3m/
Legal in US & Canada for use on-road, supplementing highbeams of course.

I still maintain my fetish for the Hella 4000 with a 100w bulb and Eurobeam. Good old halogen melts the snow.
But they're just so piggish on the power consumption.

I mounted a set of 16-LED Chinese lights that a friend gave me. Stinkloads of light, 16 3w LEDs with a mini projector in front of each. With rudimentary optics; they actually throw a beam pretty far. Not all that focused, but very impressive none the less.
Not sure if this is actually the animal I have but they look like these: https://www.amazon.com/16Led-Spot-W...&qid=1490813817&sr=1-6&keywords=16led+48+watt

kojackJKU

NO I have not seen the cibies....think they can handle the salt? Plus, snow is not a concern on my driving lights....since I would never use them during snow.

TxJprs

Observer
For me, about the only time I can use the extra light is when I can run my high beams. I've got JWS 8700's so my headlights are good, plus the high beam is decent. Not much fog in my area so i replaced my fogs with a pair of Baja Design driving lights and have them wired off a relay to go on/off when I cycle my high beams on/off. Easy peasy and between the 8700's and the BDs I light up 2 lane Texas highways pretty darn good to see deer at night.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-r-pro-led-driving-combo.asp

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
This thread perplexed me and I wasn't 100% informed before my prior comment.

I'm still not versed 100%, but I did some reading on lighting patterns and locations and found the following to be a functional commonality:

Level: Pattern
High Level: Spot
Lower Windshield: Spot/Flood
Headlamp Level: Combo
Low Level: Flood

The idea is to position the patterns at the proper heights to maximize the amount of your light projection contacting the road and terrain ahead of you, without losing a lot to the atmosphere.

Ex. If a flood pattern is high, a lot of the pattern is shown on atmosphere.

Ex. If a flood pattern is low, a lot of the pattern is shown on the ground and reflected back to the user.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94