Gen 5 alternator replacement

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I have a dual battery system in my '11 T4R. I had it professionally installed. The alternator never impressed me with just the original battery, but now with two under the hood it is really appearing anemic. Both batteries are AGMs and the alternator cannot keep either one near a full charge. Battery #2, a Sears Diehard, is well, dying. Driving the vehicle all around town and it barely shows 11.1 volts. A one time it held no more than 12.4 v. It is less than two years old.

Are there any aftermarket alternators that will help me out here?

D

Deleted member 13060

The stock Toyota Alternator doesn't put out enuf voltage to keep AGM batteries happy. AGM's require 14.1 to 14.5 volts to fully charge.

The Toyota Alts in the newer trucks run around 13.6 to 14 volts. Good for economy and emissions but bad for batteries.

You can try something like this https://www.hkbelect.com/ and see if the slight increase in voltage solves your problem....

YMMV RON

AaronK

Explorer
What are you loading the batteries with? Even with an underpowered stock alternator, they should be higher than 11.1v. How professional was the installation?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I'm running a NOCO onboard charger to occasionally top off my single 31m battery

shawkins

Adventurer
You could get in touch with a custom alternator builder such as Singer. Someone like that should be able to help you get sorted out.

http://singeralternators.com

I have not purchased an alternator from him yet, but everything I read and seen about his work says that it is top notch. I have emailed back and forth with him quite a few times figuring out the alternator options on my dual alternator Super Duty. He is quick to reply and very helpful.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I just ordered a 270 amp replacement alternator. Pricey, but well worth the investment if it keeps my two AGMs happy.

The second battery was installed professionally. I run additional LED lighting, an ARB 400 watt inverter, a 2 meter ham radio, etc. The fridge is the biggest drain, especially when the rig is not running. I also have a Goal Zero 30 watt solar panel that I will be carrying and using to top up the batteries when camping.

The new alternator has the same footprint as the original. I'll let everyone know how well all this works out once I receive it and get it installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier