Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The "SoCal" Crew Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Marutuk View Post
    For those showing up on Saturday morning, you may not have a spot with the main group. Think about arriving around 6am instead (based on past experiences)
    Thanks for the info

Just spoke to the Forest Rangers (7-11-14, 10:00 am.) regarding the forest access gate for Silverado Canyon Road (Santa Ana Mountains) located here: 33.747571, -117.583301 and it is open. I asked if they anticipate this gate and all of the other gates being open for the near future and he said yes. I specifically asked if there is any current closures of any other gates and he said they were all open. This means that you should be able to access all of the trails for some driving if you are interested. If you have never driven on these local trails you should give it a try. Any Montero will do great, even if you are running completely stock. Obviously if there are ruts or rocks that have recently come loose from rain or other drivers abusing the trail it could be more difficult so come prepared and you should always travel with a buddy who can assist with recovery if needed. If you enter from Silverado Canyon and take this trail up Main Divide Road and along to Bedford Motorway which drops you down onto Knabe St. which is a frontage road for the 15 Freeway in Corona. Just north of here is the Dos Lagos shopping center where you can go grab lunch after your trail ride. You can make a quick drive back to OC or go back over the mountains if you prefer. Check traffic since the 15 and 91 can be screwed up anytime.
    I might do this drive pretty soon. I will post up some pics and update on trail conditions when I do.
    2003 Montero Limited
    3.8L V6 6G75 5 Speed Auto
    Roof Rack, Kumho- AT-51's LT265-75-R16E, Air Lift rear bags, skid plates, rear recovery points added on, modified spare tire holder for larger tires, 2" home made front spacer lift.

1984 Isuzu Trooper II, LWB, 3 Door, SOLD
    1986 Toyota 4x4, 31-10.5's, SOLD
    1992 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L, SOLD
    1993 S-10 Blazer 4x4 4.3L Vortec SOLD

Just did Main Divide from 74 to 15 last weekend. Nice little half day jaunt. I'm in Riverside.
    2002 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4x4 North Face Edition: Cut, drilled, trimmed, strengthened, beefed, wired, and sooped. A lot done, but more to do as I learn. Capability, Reliability, Survivability Recoverability.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder106 View Post
    Just did Main Divide from 74 to 15 last weekend. Nice little half day jaunt. I'm in Riverside.
    Thanks for the info. I have not gone from the 74 to the 91. I know you said "half day," about how many hours would you say? Might take my wife and kids but don't want to burn them out on a drive that is too long. Thx
    2003 Montero Limited
    Roof Rack, Kumho- AT-51's LT265-75-R16E, Air Lift rear bags, skid plates, rear recovery points added on, modified spare tire holder for larger tires, 2" home made front spacer lift.

Southern California related:
    Saw in another thread a mechanic recommendation: 5 Star on Yelp, Van Nuys, CA. I have not been there but the owner-mechanic is said to have been a Mitsubishi Master Tech. Just FYI, use at your own risk.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/c-and-a-aut...tm_source=bing
    2003 Montero Limited

My monty has been sitting since memorial day weekend, getting pretty depressing. I'm pretty deep in the I.E. for all these O.C. recommendations but a mitsu master tech could probably have the job done fairly quick and easy. The job being a complete re-gasketing of my poor 3.5. Thinking of limping it down there
    think for yourself, question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by DONT_TREAD View Post
    My monty has been sitting since memorial day weekend, getting pretty depressing. I'm pretty deep in the I.E. for all these O.C. recommendations but a mitsu master tech could probably have the job done fairly quick and easy. The job being a complete re-gasketing of my poor 3.5. Thinking of limping it down there
    Don't Tread- That is a bummer. Anyone know of a Master Tech (or good honest mechanic) in the Riverside/San Berdo, CA area?
    2003 Montero Limited

John at All4Wheel. His shop is a few miles south of the 91 off the 15 freeway. He works on all makes and models, but focuses on 4x4 rigs. Very talented mechanic.
    "Occupy National Parks!" - gabepari
    ------------------------------------------
    TreadLightly! Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid certified
    KI6PFO
    Off Road Photography: www.nwoods.smugmug.com
    @4wdphoto on Twitter & Instagram

For those of you that haven't seen it yet, There is going to be a San Diego Meet and greet on August 5th at 10am at Fiesta Island. All are welcome.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678