The "SoCal" Crew Thread

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Well I just noticed that the ExPo Mitsubishi site has a lot of users from the SoCal area so I thought I would try to start up a group and threw out the invite. We are still building momentum. I think we never really got a group for this coming weekend for Cleghorn. I may go to Azusa OHV on my own if no one shows interest in Cleghorn. I would encourage you to just schedule a meet up in a very large parking lot or maybe next to a coffee shop and give it a month or two so word can get out here on ExPo. I will throw out another meet up for the SoCal folks in a couple months.

DONT_TREAD

Observer
I've got a million seals and gaskets to replace (drinking almost a quart of oil a week) maybe we can postpone cleghorn until we get a big regatta going?

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I've got a million seals and gaskets to replace (drinking almost a quart of oil a week) maybe we can postpone cleghorn until we get a big regatta going?

Good enough for me. I might get a short local run someplace but let's call Cleghorn off and will post up when it is rescheduled.
And just to be clear I am not at all "in charge" of anything regarding SoCal I just wanted to start some talk and get some get togethers and trail runs posted up since there is a ton of Montero owners in this area. So if you are going on a local drive anytime and you would like a group or trail buddy please post it up so a few others can join in if you feel like being social. I am on the verge of getting all new tires and I will be willing to get out a little more often. (Not to be cool but mine are dangerously worn down and unsafe for trail work) I am trying not to do the, "as soon as I do this next vehicle mod I will spend a bunch of time off road," syndrome.... It is easy to get stuck in that rut and next thing you know you are never getting out...

Oso

Forest Defecator
Hey, guys I'm a Norcal Montero and there is no Norcal Montero group. (Sad face) but anyways I was wondering if anyone was planning to go out to the Overland Expo this May.. I'm planning to meet with the AZ group out there. (Happy face)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

there's a NorCal group on facebook that's trying to get off the ground. thought i was the only NorCal person on here. i'm up for getting together
for some trails.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Some local trail info:
Last report I heard from early April 2017 was that the gates on the Orange County side and the Riverside side (Bedford Motor Way {contrary to the name it is just a dirt trail ok for 4x4}, Near Weirick Road and the 15 Fwy) of the Santa Ana Mountains is open for vehicle travel. There are some good dirt roads and trails out there to explore.

Link to some Forest Road Closures:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/c...telprdb5340229

Link to map of Santa Ana Mountains:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...en&FORM=HDRSC4

Route from OC over the Santa Ana Mountains:
1. Silverado Canyon Road (must make sure gate is open, US Forest Service controls the gate and will close due to fire danger or road wash out due to rains)
2. Silverado Road (different than above, see map)
3. Silverado Motor Way/ North Main Divide Road.
You can drive around on the Main Divide road once you are up here. You can also work your way over to the Ortega Highway and various other places and decide where you want to come out. I would have this figured out ahead of time in case you decide to take an exit where there is a closed gate causing you to backtrack or do some path-finding in a unfamiliar place.
4. Now where Silverado Motor Way becomes a separate road from the North Main Divide Road keep right (East) and work your way over to Bedford Motor Way and stay on that. This is about 3-5 miles of dirt road that will drop you onto the frontage road for the 15 Freeway in unincorporated area of the City of Corona (Knabe St.) You are now next to the freeway and can get anywhere fast unless there is traffic which can be horrible and take hours. You are also near the Dos Lagos shopping centers with various restaurants if you want to reward yourself and your better half for enduring a treacherous trail ride (easy drive with some bumps...)

Unofficial trail report as of 4-1-17: My buddy at work sometimes takes this instead of the 55 Fwy, 91 Fwy, 15 Fwy due to bad traffic in the evenings in his almost stock Jeep (slightly larger than stock tires and nothing else, so it is almost as capable as your typical Montero) and he said the gate was open and all associated trails, fire roads, etc. were in good shape and he gets through comfortably. I think it will take you 1-2 hours if you just go without any sightseeing. Good trip for kids or wife/girlfriend and if everyone is having fun you can stay up there a bit longer to explore. You will see others in 4x4's and hikers but there is usually room to pass/pullover.
---Variation is to stay on North Main Divide Road and follow it along the ridgeline West/North until you get to the area of Green River Road at the 91 Freeway. I have not done this route but another Jeep guy at work has and says it is good. I do not know the road/trail conditions for this trip and do not know if any associated gates are open or closed. If you do this route please report on both of those items.

Last edited:

Marutuk

KK6WFB
I can recommend the Santiago Peak as a good trail - it takes just a couple of hours tops, there are no huge challenges (never tried it while it was raining though). I mainly did it from the Imperial Highway entrance though, never the Silverado canyon one. :)

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I can recommend the Santiago Peak as a good trail - it takes just a couple of hours tops, there are no huge challenges (never tried it while it was raining though). I mainly did it from the Imperial Highway entrance though, never the Silverado canyon one. :)

That is the one over by 91 and Green River (Right by the 71-Imperial Hwy?) It is a fun spot right in the middle of OC.
I might do this one this weekend. Maybe start off the 15 or the place you mentioned and finish in OC by Silverado Canyon....

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Might as well put up these links as well….
Bear Valley OHV – Down south near San Diego County
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cleveland/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=47404&actid=50
Corral Canyon OHV - Down south near San Diego County
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cleveland/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=75023&actid=93
Wildomar OHV Riverside Area
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cleveland/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=47680&actid=93

Any of these would be good for a SoCal Montero trail run….

Marutuk

KK6WFB
The area you get into the Wildomar one is opposite of the North Main Divide road for when you want to get onto the Santiago peak :)

tyty13

Adventurer
Mitsubishi Owners Day at Mitsubishi R&D, Cypress CA

Who from SOCAL is going to Mitsubishi Owners Day at Mitsubishi R&D, Cypress CA?

DONT_TREAD

Observer
Can anybody recommend a shop in so-cal to do my valve stem seals. I don't want to pay a small fortune. I'm mechanically literate but I don't trust myself to pull apart my valve train. Thanks in advance.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
My friend at work has been going to a local mechanic for many years and this guy comes highly recommended. They grew up together and he is known to be honest and won't try to oversell you anything you do not need. He also has a 5 star rating on Yelp with 7 reviews. He is friendly and likes to carry on a conversation. I HAVE NOT PERSONALLY BEEN TO THIS GUY. My friend at work swears by this guy.
The shop is:
Pacific Coast Automotive
17922 Gothard St.
Ste B-8
Huntington Beach CA 92647
714-848-0911
https://www.yelp.com/biz/pacific-coast-automotive-huntington-beach

Another place that I HAVE been to here. Pete did a transmission fluid flush/replace on my Gen 3. I provided him with Mitsu parts and he did it perfectly. He has also worked on some other ExPo Monteros and has done a good job.
OC Offroad and Auto Repair
17871 Sampson Lane
Huntington Beach CA 92647
714-847-2800
http://www.ocoffroadandautorepair.com/

Good luck and please report how it goes.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
I can recommend OC Offroad and Auto Repair - been taking both my Gen 2.5 and Gen 3 to Pete for quite some time now and he's been great. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne