80 series too old for expedition?

Box Rocket

They may list for that $50k. I highly doubt that anyone, except for wealthy corporate types who don't care about overpaying, are actually paying $50k for a 4runner, especially considering that the base models go for much lower, as you pointed out.

You can play around with the options on Toyota's website, as you can for any manufacturer's website, but in reality most 4runners sell for $36k-$45k

Yep, but who (at least on this board) is going to leave it 100% stock as purchased. Without blinking an eye you're into a 4Runner over $50k without doing anything beyond maybe suspension and tire upgrade.
Regardless I think the point that was intended was that the 80 series at ~$50k in the '90s is at a different level of build quality than a $50k 4Runner of today. Still something to be said for current technology and the 4Runner is a fine vehicle. The 80 is a difficult one to beat for rugged durability, versatility and capability.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Exactly what Box Rocket said.^

The Land Cruiser in any form is a whole next level of engineering and build. Every thing on the Land Cruiser is made for the long haul, way less consumable design goes in to these trucks. Remember there is a reason the mines and NGOs buy Land Cruisers for their operations. Sure, our trim levels are plush but the core design and engineering is still the same on every Land Cruiser that comes off the line in Japan.

Any vehicle you buy will require maintenance. No sense in buying a new one just to be in the same boat in a few years. The actual value you have in the Land Cruiser is pretty much non existent in today's auto market. Hang on to it if you got one, cause we'll never see trucks like that sold in the US Ever again.

Silverhorse

Adventurer
good points! two items I have not touched- the transmission and t-case both with 290K any suggestions on these two items as far as service, rebuild etc...

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
My 80 beater still thinks she new and runs like it

Last gas stop this weekend getting to Chuckawalla Mountains. Mileage sucked at 13.66mpg and I was babying it too

Attachments

• IMG_8498.JPG
    IMG_8498.JPG
    389.2 KB · Views: 47

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Taking it to the dealership and getting the transmission flushed with the machine they have is worth the money, made a big difference on mine. Transfer case can be a simple drain and refill in your driveway.

It seems like second nature to send every one over to ih8mud for tech info, so be sure to search the 80 section and FAQ, but be careful there is a metric ton of info on there and very easy to fall down the rabbit hole.

Box Rocket

good points! two items I have not touched- the transmission and t-case both with 290K any suggestions on these two items as far as service, rebuild etc...

The good news is that the trannys in these trucks are incredibly reliable. I can count on one hand the number of blown 80 Series transmissions I've ever heard of.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Can't buy em new on this continent anymore! Keep it...maintain it...and don't join the ranks of the IFS FANBOYS!!! :victory:

Nothing wrong with my 100. It goes all the places I've asked it to, and with more comfort and more power than my 80 did. I'd like one of each, and a 60 as well, but if I can only have one, I think I'll stick with my 100.

Dalko43

Explorer
Yep, but who (at least on this board) is going to leave it 100% stock as purchased. Without blinking an eye you're into a 4Runner over $50k without doing anything beyond maybe suspension and tire upgrade.

That's one reason why it is a better idea buy a moderately used 4runner (or any vehicle for that matter) to modify, rather than a brand new one.

Regardless I think the point that was intended was that the 80 series at ~$50k in the '90s is at a different level of build quality than a $50k 4Runner of today. Still something to be said for current technology and the 4Runner is a fine vehicle. The 80 is a difficult one to beat for rugged durability, versatility and capability.

Not sure on that. Certainly the LC 80 was of better build quality than most of its contemporary 4x4's, even other Toyotas. Better than a modern 4runner? I guess the subjective definition of "better" and individual performance criteria will dictate which platform is truly better. The 5th gen 4runner is pretty damn good and reliable. Same for the Tacoma and Tundra and newer LC models. With the exception of the SFA w/ optional locker, I'm not sure what a 20+ year old LC 80 is going to give me that a 3 year old Toyota 4x4 won't (I'm talking stock vehicles here). I would certainly expect more engine issues with the LC 80. IMHO, LC 80 owners tend to be a bit cultish about their platform (I wanted to say fanboyish, but I know that will piss them off). And I suppose that unwavering loyalty is somewhat warranted; the LC 80 certainly set a benchmark for the 4x4 category in the same way that the BMW M3 set a benchmark for the sports coupe/sedan. That said, 4x4's have come a long way since the 90's and there is growing competition between the different manufacturers. Yes, the SFA means the LC 80 is still a very unique platform, even in today's 4x4 market. But there is a lot more that can go wrong with a 1995 LC 80 vs a 2013 4runner. That shouldn't be an inflammatory statement in any sense, but I fully expect to take some flack....:coffeedrink:

JLee

Adventurer
That's one reason why it is a better idea buy a moderately used 4runner (or any vehicle for that matter) to modify, rather than a brand new one.

Not sure on that. Certainly the LC 80 was of better build quality than most of its contemporary 4x4's, even other Toyotas. Better than a modern 4runner? I guess the subjective definition of "better" and individual performance criteria will dictate which platform is truly better. The 5th gen 4runner is pretty damn good and reliable. Same for the Tacoma and Tundra and newer LC models. With the exception of the SFA w/ optional locker, I'm not sure what a 20+ year old LC 80 is going to give me that a 3 year old Toyota 4x4 won't (I'm talking stock vehicles here). I would certainly expect more engine issues with the LC 80. IMHO, LC 80 owners tend to be a bit cultish about their platform (I wanted to say fanboyish, but I know that will piss them off). And I suppose that unwavering loyalty is somewhat warranted; the LC 80 certainly set a benchmark for the 4x4 category in the same way that the BMW M3 set a benchmark for the sports coupe/sedan. That said, 4x4's have come a long way since the 90's and there is growing competition between the different manufacturers. Yes, the SFA means the LC 80 is still a very unique platform, even in today's 4x4 market. But there is a lot more that can go wrong with a 1995 LC 80 vs a 2013 4runner. That shouldn't be an inflammatory statement in any sense, but I fully expect to take some flack....:coffeedrink:

Not really, unless you're referring to things that can go wrong due to age and mileage. Landcruisers are expensive for a reason - they're a different breed.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/why-the-toyota-land-cruiser-is-so-expensive-1715003811

If I could easily get an 80 with a 2UZ or 3UR, that's probably what I'd be driving right now. The 1FZ is just too underpowered for me.

justbecause

perpetually lost
You can take it to a specialty shop and have the entire thing rewired for less than buying a new vehicle.
You could even take it to a specialty shop and diesel swap it with a 5speed and depending on the engine you choose, could have a vehicle that only needs 3 wires to run, for less than the price of a brand new 4runner.
then you just have consumables like bushings, bearings, seals, brakes, lines etc. Is it too old to be made reliable? No. Are there better vehicles available? Absolutely. Can you make an 80 into the most reliable best overland vehicle on the planet? Sure, it just takes money.

Box Rocket

For me at least it's not about a "cultish" type loyalty to the 80 series. I said before, the 4Runner is a fine vehicle. I like them a lot and have even shopped for one. The Tacoma and Tundra are excellent vehicles as well. I have owned a Tacoma, and I drive a Tundra as a chase vehicle for the Baja 1000 so I'm pretty familiar with that too. In no way am I saying that any of those are bad vehicles. Nor am I saying that a 20 year old 80 series isn't going to require some upkeep. What I can say is this, the Land Cruiser has always been Toyota's flagship SUV and the build quality is beyond any other vehicle they sell. That's a fact, and part of the reason the Cruisers have been their most expensive vehicle.
I loved my Tacoma and it was very reliable. But my 20 year old 80 still felt tighter and more solid with far fewer squeaks or rattles than the Tacoma that was 10 years newer. A good friend that spends as much time offroad as anyone I can think of currently drives a new Tundra. He got the Tundra to replace a 200 Series Cruiser. Prior to the 200 Series, he had a 100 series cruiser and an 80 series Cruiser along with a 60 series and a 40 series. He loves many things about the Tundra, but he has said numerous times, "It's just not a Cruiser".

Comparing a new vehicle to a 20 year old vehicle of course will have some differences. But the reality is that the Land Cruisers are on a higher level than the other Toyota SUVs (and any other brand for that matter). That higher level of quality is going to make them last longer. There is a reason so many people are still driving 20 year old 80 series rather than buying a newer vehicle. They just last and in spite of not having some of the latest and greatest technology, the feel much newer than they are because of how they are built.

Upland80

Adventurer
Sorry but a seasoned 80 guy would of taken the line over the boulder with ease and zero drama.:victory:

Right! Hilarious...
Can't wait till Friday when my new radiator arrives (just replacing as PM...still going strong) so I can get off this computer, onto some trails, and quit messin with the hundy crowd! 23 year old engine right here folks...maintain it and it will do you right! :cool:

2017-03-29%2013.23.49_zpsfbhurq5x.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles