80 series too old for expedition?

Silverhorse

Adventurer
So I have two 80's, a 94' and a 95'. the 94' has 280K but rebuilt motor top to bottom, new engine harness, everything else new or re-built. the 95' is not running but has 140K on it.. (rust issues and no motor).........
My question is about reliability... you can re-build the drivetrain but it's the wiring gremlins that concern me. I have already dealt with starting issues due to the starter/ignition wiring. I want the rig to be able to go wherever ,whenever... I love the 80 but---

Do I need a newer rig?

T4R@DNA

Observer
Yep, CAN'T AGREED MORE WITH Upland 80. My 80 read 194k on the clock. Never hesitant to take on the road trip with family. Just came from Death Valley (1,000mi) trip. Went to Mojave National Park last year logged in 1,200mi. Of course like any vehicle you must do your maintenance. Cooling is critical on the 80. Or for a peace of you can go ahead buy a new vehicle such as 4Runner, $50k. Still have to maintain like all other vehicle when it aged. The 80 has more capability being solid front.Death Valley : Lippencott Rd.jpg

Upland80

Adventurer
Sorry..tried to edit and ended up deleting, but basically there isn't a vehicle out there that can match the 80s reliability, capability, and style. Maintenance is key though...sounds like you're is good! People have to remember that the 80 series was a nearly 50K truck in the mid 90s and that wasn't for a fancy stereo or nice seats! These trucks were built to a standard that far supersedes the disposable crap that's out there today. Maintain it and it will take you wherever-whenever!

Dalko43

Explorer
Or for a peace of you can go ahead buy a new vehicle such as 4Runner, $50k. View attachment 393124

In what realm is a new 4runner, even a TRD, selling for $50k?

Nice truck by the way. I like the LC 80 of all the LC's out there....I don't know if it's as reliable as a newer vehicle, especially a newer LC or Toyota 4x4, but it's a good vehicle. I suppose OP needs to figure out if that kind of rig suits his purposes.

Summit Cruisers Jr

My 1992 doesn't skip a beat on long trips, and I rarely doubt it's reliability. Most trips are usually 1000 miles minimum. Last week I got back from a 2000 mile trip through Colorado and Utah.

IMG_4061.jpg

Silverhorse

Adventurer
thanks for the input gents... I'm REALLY partial to having a solid axle anyway...... :) I have no experience with the 100 or 200 series but that would be the only other rig i would consider....

Upland80

Adventurer

Nice truck by the way. I like the LC 80 of all the LC's out there....I don't know if it's as reliable as a newer vehicle, especially a newer LC or Toyota 4x4, but it's a good vehicle. I suppose OP needs to figure out if that kind of rig suits his purposes.

Age and mileage never lend itself to improved reliability. The Land Cruiser in any series somewhat buck or at least lessen the downward trajectory of the hypothetical bell curve in that the base you're starting with includes the finest off road vehicle produced in its respective era. 40s, 60s, 62s, 80s, etc. will far outperform in both capability and reliability standards versus anything else Toyota or otherwise produced during that time frame. I just dropped nearly a grand updating nearly every component of the cooling system...not because I had a failure of any kind in A 23 YEAR TIME SPAN, but to be certain that the standard is kept using only OEM parts that are still available for the 80. I would confidently drive it to Alaska tomorrow...no problem other than fuel. If the OP want the ultimate...keep the 80! If OP wants something other than that...there are many options.

JLee

Adventurer

With TRD wheels, TRD Pro suspension, TRD skid plate, and four season floor mats:

QKDYbbb.png

Of course, you can get a lot cheaper....but my goal was to build a $50k 4Runner. It is actually possible. The absolute cheapest I could build one was $36,890.

Upland80

Adventurer
thanks for the input gents... I'm REALLY partial to having a solid axle anyway...... :) I have no experience with the 100 or 200 series but that would be the only other rig i would consider....

Can't buy em new on this continent anymore! Keep it...maintain it...and don't join the ranks of the IFS FANBOYS!!! :victory:

Mayne

Explorer
53EF8D06-6881-4E3B-8112-CF3D3C3E130B.jpg 310k on the clock. Replaced the motor because the motor was just barely in spec for oil consumption. I don't hesitate to take it anywhere.

MichianaFZJ80

e946ab5297ffb2bb3c2e1c0704d9713d.jpg

286k and counting. Regular oil changes, diff and birf maintenance. Upgrade basic comforts like radio and some nav gadgets as well as coms and your set! Gas consumption is around 9-16 depending on tires, gearing and if your loaded or towing. Most people use the 80 if their needs lean more towards extreme off road conditions since they're more off road capability vs highway. If your adventures don't require an aggressive off roader then you may want something more economical. Either way maintenance is key with all vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upland80

Adventurer
A factory 80-series with the 3UR-FE would be amazing...

Oh man...dream truck right there! Not swapable from what I've read. Many LS3 swaps going on right now, but I'm content with the 1fz-fe. Last of the proprietary Land Cruiser engines available to the US market and the old school straight six has its benefits. It gets the job done and is quicker off the line than my Prius! :)

Dalko43

Explorer
With TRD wheels, TRD Pro suspension, TRD skid plate, and four season floor mats:

QKDYbbb.png

Of course, you can get a lot cheaper....but my goal was to build a $50k 4Runner. It is actually possible. The absolute cheapest I could build one was $36,890.

They may list for that $50k. I highly doubt that anyone, except for wealthy corporate types who don't care about overpaying, are actually paying $50k for a 4runner, especially considering that the base models go for much lower, as you pointed out.

You can play around with the options on Toyota's website, as you can for any manufacturer's website, but in reality most 4runners sell for $36k-$45k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier