So it begins

RobertJ

Looks like I may have bit off more then I can chew, but full steam ahead anyways. Picked up a 416 yesterday from a buddy who has been letting it sit,and rot away in his field for the past six years. Floor completely rotted out. Plate painted over several times so I cant read year of manufacture. All rubber bushings rotted out or missing on the shocks and C's. Sorry if I dont know the proper names for some of the components. Hand brake useless,cable rotted. Tires dry rotted and flat spots, but it dose roll :sombrero:
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1242 (1).JPG
IMG_1243.JPG

Just trailered to the workplace... teardown time, and see what else I'm in store for. Please bear with me as I ask lots of Newb questions and learn as I go.

RobertJ

:ugh: Well its worse then I thought. I knew it was bad but now I'm going to have to replace the the front A frame channel, rotted to badly and I was planning to extend it down the road but now that time frame has been moved up.
IMG_2623.jpg
IMG_2624.jpg
IMG_2625.jpg

PB blasted all body bolts and proke several they were so corroded. All zerk fittings destroyed or painted over in so much paint there useless. Looks like a complete hardware replacement as well, what other surprises await?

RobertJ

Got a little tear down done. only had to cut off three bolts so far. the two wheel well bolts at frame on either side and top dead center bolt on wheel well drivers side.IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

Now to weld the new floor in before it totally rusts out as well. All bolts out of tub, time to run to Ace and buy new hardware... will nylocks work or just stay with washers, lock washer, bolt and nut? Still havent decided on new axle or adapters yet.

RagnarD

Adventurer
If it were me, I would pause and consider the cost/time to repair vs. building from scratch. Lots of rust/damage you will have to deal with and probably continue to deal with.

By the time you are done, you will have spent a lot of time money. Might was well start off with a good foundation.

RobertJ

thanks Ragnar... some of it will be kept and some will be fabbed new. Ive bartered some of it out as well... with the industry I'm in.

RobertJ

Well tub is off. A-frame is toast but knew that. Was going to extend any how... now to decide if I will build complete frame or salvage the rest. The axle, bearings, hubs all good. srings seem GTG but the C's are shot as well as shocks and all the bushings. Decided to go with adaptors and keep stock axle. doing this on the cheap and all. After seeing the different M416s at Jeep Beach 2017 and the different states of repair and builds, decided I'm going to take my time with this.

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior