Snorkles

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Deck Plate and Snorkle?

Scott or Chris or anyone with the 5FZ and a snorkel-

I currently an running the deck plate mod, what impacts would that have in conjunction with a snorkel? Do either of you have the deck plate, if so do you run with the plate in or out?

Wil

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I am not a fan of the deck plate mod myself, but I think if you added a snorkel you could continue to use your deckplate as usual. You would need to make sure that it seals relatively well when the plate is in place though. When you install the snorkel you will need to remove the air box to seal the holes in the bottom and the elbow connection, so you could probably test the seal of the deck plate at that point in time.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Does Pangaea Expeditions sell safari snorkel # SS170HF

pangaea said:
I personally have a snorkel on my rig for a couple of reasons. First it does add a bit of safety for water crossings. It certainly doesn't make deep water crossings a good idea, but it adds a certain element of safety. I assume that most people on this forum have petrol engines (myself included) which require more than just a raised intake to deal with more than 20" of water.

The second and more practical reason is dusty environments. I can say from first hand experience that it makes a pretty remarkable difference. A couple of years ago, I went on a trip out to Moab with a few other Land Rovers. My Disco had a freshly cleaned K&N filter, and a raised air intake (Mantec, if it matters), another Disco with us had a K&N filter that we had cleaned at the same time, but was not equipped with a snorkel. When we got back from three days of wheeling out in the desert, the difference between air filters was remarkable. Mine still looked clean and new, while the other Disco owners filter was absolutely filthy. I just wish that I had taken pics of it at the time.

Nathan-
Do you guys at Pangaea Expeditions sell the safari snorkel # SS170HF for my Tacoma? If so what's your price?

Thanks,
Wil

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Nathan

On my Discovery II with a V8 I have a Snorkel and an extended breater tube kit that includes the front and rear axles as well as the transfer case and maybe the center diff, I can't remember.

After reading your post from above, and since you know Rovers well; what other requirements and preparations would you recomend for the petrol V8?

Note that my imediate plans are to double check the entire snorkel set up and maybe caulk some of the seams, especially the seam on the engine bay side of the fender.

What about the dielectric grease I have heard about? Where should I put it?

Thanks
Brian

pangaea

Adventurer
mcvickoffroad said:
On my Discovery II with a V8 I have a Snorkel and an extended breater tube kit that includes the front and rear axles as well as the transfer case and maybe the center diff, I can't remember.

Brian,

I think that I'm going to start a thread on waterproofing your 4x4 in this section... Keep an eye out for it later today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94