Snorkles

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Ok, are snorkles really worth the money?

I can see the benifits, for dusty runs, and water fodging. I also think they add a great look to any rig (but that doesn't matter). Living in AZ and seeing a ton of dust when on any run in a goup makes me think it will be worth the money, but I could put that money into some other mods first. Until I make up my mind I am thankful for my amsoil filter, I just clean it after dusty runs.

My ride is my daily driver, and I am concerned about added noise at 75+ speeds. Any issues there?

EDIT: Forgot to ask my othe question regarding rain. During a heavy Monsoon and driving at freeway speeds doesn't a lot of water get in there?

Last edited:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well all I can say is down here in florida snorkels should be the first mod after pull points. I have never had any noise from the snorkel reguardless of highway speeds.

During heavy rain you will get a bit of water in the snorkel while driving but nothing to worry about. It will evaporate out of the system. I have been on some runs in the dry season to sand pits in ocala, Dust city. Anyway I feel it really doesn't help with the standard scoop. Maybe with the extreme air canister on top it would make a difference but not with the basic head. What I have noticed is tons of dragonflys, moths, bees etc in the air box when I clean the filter.

No matter what you do to your truck, a snorkel will get more attention then anything else from the general public. People are truely enamered by them LOL. If it should be your next mod in arizona is hard to say. I guess it depends on what other mods you have done already. I would think in your neck of the woods that you would be better served by suspension or bumpers/winch then a snorkel but I better defer to the S.W. experts on that.

Scott Brady

Founder
Real world experience:

Water, they work as advertised

IMG_0432.JPG

Dust, no way, without a prefilter. I think it is actually worse, plus you get bugs. If you turn the head around, then you loose HP (vacuum created)

99% of people who buy them is because of appearance. They look cool as hell.

dieck

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
Ok, are snorkles really worth the money?

EDIT: Forgot to ask my othe question regarding rain. During a heavy Monsoon and driving at freeway speeds doesn't a lot of water get in there?

I suspect there is a big difference between sumberging your intake and sucking water in the engine from rain. For instance, there are water injection kits for the superchargers to lower the air charge temp. So it can't be that bad.

Hydrolock is a different story.

Attachments

• 111687973_n_1_240x240.jpg
    111687973_n_1_240x240.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
  • entry_challenger.gif
    entry_challenger.gif
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 32600526.jpg
    32600526.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I spoke directly with ARB about a month ago, I was concerned about the dust issue with my safari snorkel.
They said that a prefilter is not necessary except in extremely dusty conditions. They said that the actual dust intake is not as bad as it seems. Well after sitting in som AZ dust clouds, even spaced up to a mile apart in the line, I would certainly consider getting one. They are easy on and off so you can switc out the heads depending on the conditions you are in.

As for water they said that rain is not a concern, even monsoon at highway speed. The Safari has drainage channels built in for the rain.

And your right, they do look cool as hell. Lifts and tires and other external visual mods look good, aside from their function, but there's something about a snorkel that says this truck will go anywhere you want to go! And it gives you more confidence when dealing with water crossings.

Scott Brady

Founder
dieck said:
I suspect there is a big difference between sumberging your intake and sucking water in the engine from rain. For instance, there are water injection kits for the superchargers to lower the air charge temp. So it can't be that bad.

Hydrolock is a different story.

I agree 100%... Rain will never be an issue. Most of it is channeled out, and the rest collects at the bottom of the air box, soon to be evaporated.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I feel that in Az they are not really all that necessary, but I still want one for the Trooper 'cause like everybody says, they look cool as hell! They make your rig look very purpose built. And what better to add machismo to your Trooper than a ************** looking snorkel.

pangaea

Adventurer
I personally have a snorkel on my rig for a couple of reasons. First it does add a bit of safety for water crossings. It certainly doesn't make deep water crossings a good idea, but it adds a certain element of safety. I assume that most people on this forum have petrol engines (myself included) which require more than just a raised intake to deal with more than 20" of water.

The second and more practical reason is dusty environments. I can say from first hand experience that it makes a pretty remarkable difference. A couple of years ago, I went on a trip out to Moab with a few other Land Rovers. My Disco had a freshly cleaned K&N filter, and a raised air intake (Mantec, if it matters), another Disco with us had a K&N filter that we had cleaned at the same time, but was not equipped with a snorkel. When we got back from three days of wheeling out in the desert, the difference between air filters was remarkable. Mine still looked clean and new, while the other Disco owners filter was absolutely filthy. I just wish that I had taken pics of it at the time.

pangaea

Adventurer
Just because you can... doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.

Attachments

• camelsunk.jpg
    camelsunk.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 202

flyingwil

Cool! I love the feed back. thank you all. :luxhello: It is one of thoose things on the bottom of the to do list.

Scott Brady

Founder
flyingwil said:
Thats a great picture! At what location was it taken at?

It is actually in Prescott. At one of my top secret test locations. I now have two good test locations, but need a moderate trail close, and with little brush encroaching so that I can test new vehicles from the OEM's.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Maybe it's just me but I found another reason. Yes the two mentioned - dust and water, are good, but my throttle response improved. Not significantly but enough to be noticed. The once I removed a resonator in the engine compartment, Stormy sounded nice. Oh, and the sucking sound is pretty interesting as well.

One other nonimportant reason - it looks great and love getting the looks from people driving by.

flyingwil

expeditionswest said:
It is actually in Prescott. At one of my top secret test locations. I now have two good test locations, but need a moderate trail close, and with little brush encroaching so that I can test new vehicles from the OEM's.

Ok not to blow it but I can call it from living up there... it is a road in the dells right? As in head torards the airport and turn right at the flagpole. Coming from downtown if you hit old hwy XX (keeping it top secret) you went too far.

Ha! See I used to live there!

Attachments

• 1467254_549545998461841_28729688_n.jpg
    1467254_549545998461841_28729688_n.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94