Overlanding / Expo Camper Maximum Dimensions and Weights for All International Travel

sideburnie

Please forgive me if this has been covered. I've been searching for the last couple days for an exhaustive list of maximum dimensions and weights for international travel while full-timing in a custom overlander.

In the US (where i live, currently) I see 2.6m max width, and I've found documents saying that 2.6m has become a rough intl standard, but I also see lots of docs for countries that allow a max of 2.5m in width.

In my search, I ran into docs published for regs in Australia and found they have a requirement that the rear of the vehicle (mid-rear-axles to the tail) can be no longer than 60% of the length from front axle to mid-rear-axles. Immediately I thought to myself, well crap, does that include the motorcycle / tire carrier hanging off the back? :) I might not hit that ratio... I wonder what other regs are going to come out and bite me after I've dumped my life savings into building an overlander...

Certainly there are some veterans on here who have been "there and back" and maybe some have compiled an exhaustive list of max allowed dimensions and weights? It'd be nice to build something that I know I can drive everywhere. Many thanks in advance to all those who contribute this kind of info.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
That Aussie's reg only apply to registering it there - not driving a foreign registered vehicle. Its still a very good idea to not have excessive rear overhang though.

Shipping limits are worth considering - Shipping container or RoRo preferable?

sideburnie

Shipping limits are worth considering - Shipping container or RoRo preferable?

Yeah, given I'll be trying to full-time it with my girlfriend (and both trying to work part-time-ish remotely, both trying to not go crazy) I think I'd like to design for a largish box within the platform of an M1083 / MB truck. Shipping container cargo just doesn't seem like it can be in the cards... Maybe if I were solo. I guess I'll just have to carry around window coverings and keep things bolted down / locked up...

sideburnie

Sideburnie,

Read this before you go any further. http://www.silkroute.org.uk/equipment/choosevan.htm

If you find a better site on this topic please let me know.

Safe travels,

Thanks, this was super helpful. I love how really thorough pieces like that always teach you something new--e.g. I've been planning on a dual-circuit espar D5+D5 hydronic heater setup, but was just going to use solenoid valves and a microcontroller--I didn't know that thermostatic valves were a thing and will be looking to include them now... or the stories about Roro vs. container, safes, locking cabinets, windows, through-cab entry (I can't believe they stole your horn!). Really helps add some perspective to my thinking about shipping and safekeeping of important items.

I think my follow-up would be:

1) Assuming I'm ok with not being able to pass under some soviet bridges etc. underpasses, wires, trees, I'm still inclined to push my dimensions out to close to their international legal max. Seems this is 2.5m in width and 4m in height? Can I definitely feel safe in building to those maximum dimensions (as far as the legal aspect--not the technical)? My length is currently about 10m with entry and departure angles of ~35 degrees. It sounds like length is less a concern, but if anybody has any stories re: dimension / weight problems and import / export, i'd love to hear.

2) It seems like your more general advice would be to stick below 7500kg for licensing ease, but I think I'm pretty well set on building something a bit on the larger size. The M1088 is 8,455kg dry, and I'll probably load it up to as much as 15,000kg wet (say 700l diesel, 900l water, 500kg of lead acid batteries, etc.). In the US there's a licensing work-around in which you can license your vehicle as an RV to get around commercial licensing requirements. I've looked into this enough that I feel that I'll have no trouble in the US and Canada (but I want to go elsewhere!). I read that there are international driving permits you can get from your country of origin that gives you license to drive in any countries that accept this international driving permit. However, I've heard some, despite having been licensed in their country of origin, may still seek a more formal commercial permit (called a "CDL" in the US) in their country of origin to drive vehicles of this size (typically considered "commercial" or "oversize") elsewhere. Part of me worries that even that might not be enough with strict import/export or something in some countries? Can anybody shed any light on their experience here? A CDL is ~3-4k USD and 4-6 weeks in the US. I'd like to do anything I can to avoid it, but I'd like to be able to travel to most countries. :)

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Stephen Stewart created that site. I don't think FreedomTraveler is Steven Stewart, I think he was just referring you to Mr. Stewart's site (which a lot of us have practically memorized from years of studying and referring to it).

sideburnie

Stephen Stewart created that site. I don't think FreedomTraveler is Steven Stewart, I think he was just referring you to Mr. Stewart's site (which a lot of us have practically memorized from years of studying and referring to it).

ah, haha, whoops!

Legally you will need a CDL for >7.5 ton in Europe, Asia, Australia and I think S. America; actually, maybe >3.5 tons. But in my travels in Australia, Europe and Russia nobody asked for my drivers' licence. In about 10-15 roadblock stops in Russia all they were interested in was the passport and visa. It cost me very little time and money to get a CDL using my own heavy vehicle.

Charlie

sideburnie

Legally you will need a CDL for >7.5 ton in Europe, Asia, Australia and I think S. America; actually, maybe >3.5 tons. But in my travels in Australia, Europe and Russia nobody asked for my drivers' licence. In about 10-15 roadblock stops in Russia all they were interested in was the passport and visa. It cost me very little time and money to get a CDL using my own heavy vehicle.

Charlie

Ok, thanks that's helpful.

Did you get the impression that your CDL would have covered you adequately in all of the countries that you passed through had they asked? Or do you get the impression that you would have needed a local version of a CDL in any of them?

sideburnie

Sort of frustrating that it looks like it's very different state-to-state. E.g. looks like if I were a resident of Idaho I wouldn't be required to take a class.

sideburnie

LOL, yeah, yeah.... :) WA still requires you take a class from one of the companies on their "list" though (which is 160 hours of "class" time). Would just have to get (show) residency elsewhere. Just debating whether it's worth getting a dif driver's license and finding somebody in Idaho (etc.) for whom i can buy internet or water for a month (to show residency)...

Aaaaaanyway. Maybe I'll just start a globally editable google doc with the various legal limits for different countries and share it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior