Has anyone built a 2wd rig?

Shpook

*coughs* A snorkel is primarily for keeping dirt out of the filter when driving in a line on clay or fine sand. *coughs* It does help in water crossings too but if you dunk 20% of the car in water it's a risky move, at 50% it's can be dangerous. Especially if you are not in a convoy.

Get one if you like the looks. If you need one start planning another route around the obstacles. Save the use for when you are out of options.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense and is flat out wrong. A factory air box and proper filter would do a much better job than a snorkel. The entire purpose of a snorkel is for fording water without risking your engine. I think what you're getting at is that most people who install snorkels don't water proof the rest of the vehicle. Raising breather lines, ensuring bearing and shaft seals are in good order, waterproofing connecters, running positive pressure in diffs/t-case/transmission, lifting any control modules above the water line, and much more should be done to really water proof your vehicle.

And obviously it's better to take the safest line. But a snorkel is another tool that enhances what lines you can take, just like 4wd, a lift, good tires, etc.

TwinStick

Explorer
Full size Dodge/Ram trucks get their air from the inner fender & as a result, MANY PEOPLE have hydro locked their engines. Some have done it in as little as 12" of water, or less, when hitting it at speed. So, I can see the need for a snorkel. It does NOT turn your truck into a submarine. IMHO, it is mostly for those "oh snap" moments, when a mistake is made, &/or gives you a few extra seconds to back out. I think that is an epic fail by the oem's to get air from an area that gets pelted with water everytime you hit a puddle. Only thing that separates the water from the air intake is a plastic fender liner. It is easy to be bombing down a dirt road & hit a puddle. Not sure if they ever changed it but my 2008 Power Wagon gets its air from there as well. I just have not got around to getting a snorkel yet. I have raised the diffs vents though & dielectric greased the low connectors. Trans/t-case/fuel tank vents are on the to-do list.

CowFish

Interested in this as well. I'm contemplating building a '98 F150 2wd long bed for camping / overlanding purposes. So cheap and so much space.
I think, just as stated above, as long as the driver knows the rig's limitations and doesn't get stupid, 2wd can serve you well.
Good tires, locker, ground clearance + airing down, chains, driver skill, possibly a winch.
Am I forgetting something?

Glad this subject came up because I wasn't for sure if I was being stupid wanting to do the same. Have a 2wd 2000 Suburban that I want to make use of. Figured Z71 springs with spacer for the rear and use either spindles or change keys. Just want a couple of extra inches and some Cooper ST Maxx or Duratrac tires on factory wheels. Figure change diff to a Trutrac. Change trans and diff covers. No snorkel for me. I have another vehicle if I want to get farther away.

::Squish::

Observer
I've got a 2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD pre-runner
Factory locker

We haven't "built" it, because well mostly I'd rather spend the money on trips then bumpers and snorkles

We do have a camper shell, and some foam bads for under the therarests

That truck has gotten us where ever we've wanted/needed to go,
save for one time, and a kitted 4X4 with much more agressive tires couldn't make the same snotty hillside.

That said we never really pushed the truck. i don't do crawling, or mudding or other stuff that beats on the chassis and suspension
But i do like challenging roads.

I've thought about adding more recovery gear and working to get the rig stuck and unstuck but, i like driving in the limitations of the rig and I enjoy saving money on insurance, fuel and maintenance cost

Mr. Moore

Observer
I have a 2wd crewcab dually. I go on dirt backroads in the desert, gravel forest roads and even some two track roads and I do just fine. It's all about knowing the limitations of your truck. Is a 2wd dually optimal for off road? No. But I need it for my daily life and it gets the kids and I out into the bush. I've been through some surprising stuff with my giant 2wd. Oh, and mine has a giant diesel anchor in the front lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think the issue with 'building up' a 2wd is that you very quickly reach the point of diminishing returns. That is, if you're on a budget (like I was in 1999 - 2002 when I was a broke college student) and you're in a "run what ya brung" mode, then 2wd makes sense - you compromise where you have to and do what you can. And the vehicle you already have is always the less expensive option (unless it's a total POS but that rarely happens these days.)
OTOH, if you are talking about starting from scratch and sinking some big $$ into a vehicle, then why not go with 4wd? It's not like there's a huge cost or MPG penalty to 4wd these days.
There are lots of 2wd owners who turn around when the trail gets rough, or find themselves stuck in a hole and think "dang I wish I got the 4x4!" but AFAIK no 4x4 owner has ever said to himself "curse this 4wd! I wish I'd gone for 2wd instead!" :sombrero:
Better to have it and not NEED it than to NEED it and not HAVE it. ;)

Pray for an easy trail and hope that you brought enough to get your butt out if you pushed too far. Recovery gear is more a more critical NEED with a 2WD than a 4WD. It is not an if I need it but I have it when I need it because you will need it. A winch some may think silly to put on a 2WD but I think it is mandatory and Traction Tread of some type. Snow Chains? They may not need them for snow but they can be useful is situations to increase traction. Remember you may not have as much ground clearance. High Centering a vehicle in an off camber situation can be nerve racking.

CowFish

^^^ some good advice all.
Lots of recovery gear like MaxTrax, chains, a winch. Airing down, ground clearance, good tires goes without saying. And stay away from mud.
For my 2wd I think I'll get a front bumper with a receiver to mount a winch to when needed. When not needed, the winch can be stored in the back for better weight distribution.
Not that all of that isn't advisable for 4x4 owners as well.
I can't count the times I've gotten stuck in my various Jeeps over the years... lol

Mr. Moore

Observer
In response to what martinjmpr and Hillbilly Heaven have said, it is about recovery gear and traction. I have to disagree about a few points however. Ground clearance can be better in a 2wd as there is no front differential in the way. Also, depending on where you live there can be a big difference in price between a 4x4 and a 2wd. I bought a 2wd version of my truck because there was about a 8k-10k difference in price. The types of terrain the OP stated would be his primary terrain will be fine with a 2wd. Go with what you can afford and build it a bit at a time if need be (like me) and get out there and enjoy the outdoors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CowFish

Yep. Here in the south, 4wd trucks are more rare and about twice as much as their 2wd counterparts.
My 2wd rig will be capable enough to get me to base camp, from where a dirt bike (on a hitch carrier) will take me up and down trails. Sleeping in a 8' box with shell is prime compared to a tent. I'm a tent hater :)

Not sure what side of the state you live on but if it is like here most trails are sand and clay with some that are mostly sand. I see too many times drivers panic and stop. Stop and you sink. Most do not know how to drive two footed so they can apply brake bias to the spinning tire and shifting toque to the wheel with traction. The fire roads here do offer an opportunity to test your driving skills. One area is a sand trap. Two hills back to back with loose sand in the valley. Seen too many times people sunk to the axles in the valley. They didn't carry enough speed down the hill to make it up the other hill. I have made it up the hill in 2wd before but it was a challenge. It was bunny hopping all the way up. The top layer was crunchy. The truck would climb on top of the sand then drop down in a hole in the sand. Key was never back off the throttle, you lose momentum and will not be able to climb on top of the sand crust, just sink into the sand.

Yep. Here in the south, 4wd trucks are more rare and about twice as much as their 2wd counterparts.
My 2wd rig will be capable enough to get me to base camp, from where a dirt bike (on a hitch carrier) will take me up and down trails. Sleeping in a 8' box with shell is prime compared to a tent. I'm a tent hater :)

Weeds

Adventurer
One thing I do not think was mentioned is the low gearing of the transfer case in 4WD especially if loaded. Using low range to go up or down a steep forest service road is a lot safer than in 2WD. If you do not need to use your brakes going down hill is always safer.

We see very few 2WD pickups here in eastern Washington. There are still many older 4WD vehicles on the road.

DaveNay

Adventurer
I have no regrets with my '99 Suburban 2500. The only "upgrade" I have done is to put skinnier tires on. I will be adding a locker soon, but that will be the extent of the modifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94