Has anyone built a 2wd rig?

Just curious if anyone has invested time and effort into a 2wd rig? I've got the chance to pick up a decent 03 extra cab silverado but it's only 2wd. Other than that it fits my families needs. Used mostly for gravel, dirt and forest roads allowing us to get to the trail head or remote camping and fishing.

Here's what I'm thinking.
AT tires
Aux lighting
Bumper with winch
Maybe a leveling or very small lift just to allow a little more ground clearance
Maybe a camper top
Maybe a snorkel

and call it a day.

Now that you know what I'm thinking what are ya'll thinking or what's ya'lls experience. Thanks in advance.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
How's this

IMG_1552_zpsjiwuzqgb.jpg

IMG_1788_zpscj6rnzem.jpg

Does what I need it to do, maintenance is cut by a lot not having to service a 4x4 system. Hauls my 26 ft camper all summer, cruises the back roads, etc. usually have a quad if I'm going in the bush anyhow, or a sled in the winter. I have a 2015 Sierra 1500 4x4, I have to put it in 4wd to go the places this 2wd goes, both have the same pizza cutter winter tires.

I used to have a nice shell on the bed, but then I always have to haul a trailer if I'm bringing something, that doesn't work if we are going camping.

As far as the "mods" go, not too much. CST 4" lift spindles, 2" block in the rear, fox 2.0 shocks, home built rear bumper, some extra lighting, 235/85/16 tires, volant cold air intake and magnaflow cat back, mag hyped deep trans pan and rear inspection cover. I have a winch sitting in the garage which I should probably mount up. Other than that I have a bunch of recovery gear, hi lift jack, shovel, tire chains, etc.

One of these usually is in the bed if I'm going exploring

IMG_2433_zpsjtqmt8ku.jpg

IMG_2407_zpsm1chwylb.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Can't imagine why a 2wd would need a snorkel. I sure wouldn't be thrilled about a deep water crossing with 2wd.
Long before I ever heard of ExPo I used to go on long camping trips in my 2wd Ford Ranger. Mild AT tires, limited slip diff and enough common sense to know where I could safely go with 2wd and where I couldn't worked fine for me.
Also there used to be someone who posted here a lot called Safari Pacific. You can search the forum for his posts. He drove all over North America to include all the way up the Dalton to Prudhoe Bay - in wintertime, IIRC - in a 2wd Ranger.

TwinStick

Explorer
Nothing wrong with a 2wd with a locker/limited slip. Should do 80-90% of what most people need a truck to do & as stated, simpler, easier & less maintenance + better mpg. You just have to know your limitations.

Barb The Yeti

Observer
A rear locker will get you a lot of places that a 4WD would get you, and the advantage of 2WD is you can do lift spindles.

Shpook

Sure did, a 2002 Suburban, with a factory locker, 3" lift, 33" KO2's, Bilstein 5100s. Was a good truck, did better than I expected it to. Just know your limits, bring recovery gear and a shovel, and drive smart.

WdmZEgC.jpg

TripLeader

Explorer
If you want to add all those extra goodies to it, you should pass and buy a 4wd.
-----
Nothing against 2wd trucks (I own one), but either appreciate what it is, or put the money into something that's a more appropriate starting unit. You'll be happier in the long run.

rkj__

Adventurer
It depends. If those forest roads have any hills, that sometimes get wet and slick, 2WD will let you down.

If things are pretty dry and rocky, 2WD (with G80 locker) can get you pretty far.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Shpook

Those are great points. I live in south FL, so it's extremely flat. 2WD took me almost everywhere I wanted to go...unless it was sugar sand or sticky mud. Sugar sand required lots of momentum, and if you lost that momentum, you dug down and were done. Sticky mud was a lost cause. There was no way to get through it in 2WD. My current 4WD Yukon XL on street tires will handle sugar sand and some mud without breaking a sweat, where the 2WD was just barely making it. I did learn a lot about recovery though, so I guess there's that.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I took the 2wd truck initially for the price, when I bought it almost 4 years ago I paid 11k and it had 64k km, similar trucks with 4wd and higher mileage were in the 15-20k+ range. The 4x4s in the same price range had 300k+ or were completely beat work trucks, or needed cab corner and rocker panel replacement. This one was government owned, fleet maintained and pretty clean, not winter driven. It wasn't perfect but for the price that was the compromise I had to make. I do drive this every day, I've been taking it in the bush since I got it but I'm pretty strict with the maintenance. It hasn't cost me much so I spent a bit of money on it this year, it doesn't owe me much. If I'm going somewhere with my family or I know I'm going in a rough spot, I take the 4x4 which is now our main vehicle but I rarely hesitate to take my old 2wd anywhere.

kpredator

Adventurer
2wd

what you need for driving a 2wd and also a 4wd .
is Gray Matter.

use your head with a 2wd and you will be fine.

good luck
kp

bfdiesel

Explorer
Most 4x4's dont need a snorkel, why would a 2wd need one. A 4x4 is going to do better than a 2wd, just the way it works, I am not saying 2wd is terrible just that it has limits. Bed weight and chains can make even an open diff 2wd eat up some country, but a 4x4 will need niether of those to do the same thing.

Shpook

Depends on where he's at. Down here in south Florida, a snorkel is very highly recommended. Lots of trails can be under 2-3 feet of water, with holes that go 4-5 feet. The trail surface will be hard, so you'll get plenty of traction. I've driven lots of those trails in my 2WD Suburban, and dunked it once when I misjudged a 4ft deep hole. Luckily I didn't destroy the engine. 4WD wouldn't have helped at all, but a snorkel would have. And I'd much rather do a snorkel + waterproofing than a 6-10" lift.

Lemur

*coughs* A snorkel is primarily for keeping dirt out of the filter when driving in a line on clay or fine sand. *coughs* It does help in water crossings too but if you dunk 20% of the car in water it's a risky move, at 50% it's can be dangerous. Especially if you are not in a convoy.

Get one if you like the looks. If you need one start planning another route around the obstacles. Save the use for when you are out of options.

Just my 2 cent //Johan

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94