It's done. Finally

Oso

Forest Defecator
Been waiting to post about my rig for awhile. Wanted to finish it first and it's finally done. Well, I still have to figure out what's up with the cruise control but that's for a rainy day. Lots of mods - almost too many to list but I came up with what I could remember after 2 years of wrenching in my not so free time. Gotta say I couldn't have done this without the inexhaustible patience of my friends in the Az crew who have answered every question without laughing or calling me a **************. Here's the list:

1990 Montero LS
Electric fan 2.5k/4.5 cfm w/Bullseye temp sensor
3 row core OEM radiator
Lock up trans
5.29 diff gears
Marks 2.85 transfer case gears
ARB lockers front and rear
Extreme Aire 150 psi 100% duty compressor
2 gal torpedo air tank
Disc brakes rear
Gen 2 rear axles and housing
Gen 2 trailing arms
ADD panhard bar
Rear suspension air bags
SR springs
SR wheels
Aisin Hubs
Timken bearings throughout
Incorporated X 1" body lift
Daystar 1.5" suspension lift
KYB shocks
Gen 2 UCAs
Gen 2 T Bars
Gen 2 Pittman and Idler arm
Gen 2 steering box
ADD idler arm kit
Steering damper
OEM rubber bushings throughout
Cryo treated drag link
Cryo treated CVs
Vents and breathers filtration system
Upgraded Bumpers, sliders, armor
Engine bay retractable light
Bussman relay panel
Incorporated X wiring harness
OSRAM LED lights
Ancor marine grade tinned wire and heat shrink connectors throughout.
Garvin Wilderness rack
Safari snorkel
MileMarker 10.5 hydraulic winch
Gen 2 seats
Dual bouncies
Alpine digital receiver
Rockford Fosgate speakers
Body soundproofing
Monstaliner paint exterior
Al's liner interior
Mercedes E 550 horns

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 71

Oso

Forest Defecator
Nicely done. Extensive parts installed, I bet that was fun.
It was. Lots of junkyard time and a once in a lifetime deal on a thrashed parts rig that was loaded with all the high end goodies. Previous owner didn't believe in maintenance so it was a great deal. Lots of elbow grease and the aforementioned stupid questions at every turn.

you hillbilly!!! . u were funnn me when i asked for the low down on ur rig in a different thread, an you said it "aint much" if that aint much then im a chicken.
i thot my gen 1 was the baddest around, i guess im wrong ....again

Oso

Forest Defecator
you hillbilly!!! . u were funnn me when i asked for the low down on ur rig in a different thread, an you said it "aint much" if that aint much then im a chicken.
i thot my gen 1 was the baddest around, i guess im wrong ....again
It wasn't much when I was running the Baja. T bar crank and an SR rear end was pretty much it besides the gen 2 front end parts. Now it's still not much compared to other rigs I've seen, but for a gen 1 I guess it's pretty well on its way to being better than average.😁

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Wow, that is a well sorted rig, definitely see a lot of "buy once, cry once" effort went into it. One thing though on the fan shroud, having done 3 swaps using the same fan I will say you really want to get rid of that open gap that is a cut-out for the factory Taurus lower radiator section, the trick is to cut and bend a piece of metal strapping to fill the space and then sandwich it between black duck tape. You can also use a curved piece of plastic in the same manner. I wish I had a picture of my old one, but ran it on my Jeep for 3 years without issue.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Some of you may know about the previous owner of the rig he snatched parts off of, the one who didn't follow what we might call a regular maintenance schedule. Let's say it used to be a '90 SWB in red. Oso grabbed the good parts out of it and mercifully had the rest crushed.
Nice summary, Oso!

John B.

Oso

Forest Defecator
Wow, that is a well sorted rig, definitely see a lot of "buy once, cry once" effort went into it. One thing though on the fan shroud, having done 3 swaps using the same fan I will say you really want to get rid of that open gap that is a cut-out for the factory Taurus lower radiator section, the trick is to cut and bend a piece of metal strapping to fill the space and then sandwich it between black duck tape. You can also use a curved piece of plastic in the same manner. I wish I had a picture of my old one, but ran it on my Jeep for 3 years without issue.

Thanks for the fan tip. I've actually been looking at it and pondering, but that's as far as it's gotten

Not a lot of crying or buying. A "once in a lifetime" parts rig came my way. I didn't have room to store it so I cut it up and installed everything. Wow, I just realized that the parts rig arrived a year ago nearly to the day.

Oso

Forest Defecator
well, i finally finished the gen 2 front end swap. upper and lower contol arms, spindles etc... cvs and the sway bar too. quarter panels have been chopped and welded shut. new bumpers, sliders, armor, are done. master cylinder has been upgraded to a larger bore. paint is almost finished. i might get to drive it again soon. at this point, im done with mods. partly because there is nothing left on the list except the inevitable diesel swap, but more so because of another impending project.

im planning some trips to celebrate once im back on the road soon. see you out there.

Killer rig!!
And I feel you on the "stupid questions." Since finding this forum I've gotten excited about having the resource. I've realized I moved to a bit of a Mitsubishi wasteland, so all my help is from endless Google research and what I can find here.
At least you live where Monteros even end up in a junkyard! I recently found one in a yard 3 hours from me and that's been it so far. Just not popular out here at all.

every where is mitsu wasteland.
there are just too few of these fa bulbous rigs rolling .
fewer yet tricked-out. good on ya fer that.

my next planned wave of mods should set me out front, assuming I pull it off.

Oso

Forest Defecator
out front? I have a heavily armored, low HP, geared for torque rig. EVERYTHING gets out in front of me. Aim higher. If this is a contest, then we can hook up a strap sometime and drag for bragging rights. But if it has to come to that, i'll probably drop in a cummins just out of spite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94