Best way to change lug pattern?

RobertJ

I have been looking at many threads but still don't know which way to go.

What is the best way to obtain a 5 on 5 JK bolt pattern retaining the stock axel? Any manufacturer make a new spindle/Hub assembly? Really don't want to go the spacer route if I don't have to nor do I want the expense of a whole axle. But from the looks i dunno

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I presume you are talking about a stock trailer axle. If so, there are standard 5 on 5 hubs available for the 3500 lb axle. All you have to do is a hub swap.

Switching to a 5 on 5 bolt pattern is the easy part, if you want to use stock JK wheels the center hole in the wheel is too small for the axle hub and the wheel will need to spaced outward to accommodate for that. Check the tire and wheel backspacing to make sure you have enough clearance between the hub mounting surface and what ever is behind the wheel, shock, fender, chassis.

Depending on the tire/wheel configuration you may end up having to use adapters in any case.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have been looking at many threads but still don't know which way to go.

What is the best way to obtain a 5 on 5 JK bolt pattern retaining the stock axel? Any manufacturer make a new spindle/Hub assembly? Really don't want to go the spacer route if I don't have to nor do I want the expense of a whole axle. But from the looks i dunno

What are your concerns about spacers? That's a pretty easy way to make it happen.

RobertJ

What are your concerns about spacers? That's a pretty easy way to make it happen.

Backspacing... dont want my tires sticking too far out, I have to order new drums there toast... hubs not looking great either so I was going to replace with 5 on 5 hub but didnt think about the JK hubcentric wheel hole size so it looks like I have some deciding/searching to do on spacers,hubs, now possibly axles. want to try and do it right the first time.

Another question Im running 35" goodyears on 17 inch wheels. How is everyone lifting the trailer other then SOA? just to high looking for me, but may have to go that route. I need new springs, C's, and bushings, shocks. Looks like the trailer was stored in saltwater:smileeek:

RobertJ

Backspacing... dont want my tires sticking too far out, I have to order new drums there toast... hubs not looking great either so I was going to replace with 5 on 5 hub but didnt think about the JK hubcentric wheel hole size so it looks like I have some deciding/searching to do on spacers,hubs, now possibly axles. want to try and do it right the first time.

Another question Im running 35" goodyears on 17 inch wheels. How is everyone lifting the trailer other then SOA? just to high looking for me, but may have to go that route. I need new springs, C's, and bushings, shocks. Looks like the trailer was stored in saltwater:smileeek:

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018

Just for clarity there is a difference between spacers and adapters.

Spacers are discs that you slide over the wheel studs that push the tire/wheel combination outwards. They are usually thin, less than 1", as the spacer uses up available wheel stud length.

Adapters can be anything up to 6" thick. They have recesses and seats that allow them to be attached to the hub using lug nuts. They have studs pressed into them that can be the same bolt pattern or a different pattern. The studs can be the same size and pitch or a different size and pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior