Colorado Duramax thread

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Wife has a plugin 2016 fusion with 40k on the clock. Id be lying if I said 70-86mpg and running EV only is pretty damn cool. Due to stupid high utility rates I put solar on the house last yr. LG panels and Semens micro inverters. 8.2kwh system. Just finished our full yr end of Feb. Finished the yr with $100 electric credits left. This yr I'll fine tune our burn rate to come closer to a net net. ;-) right now were about 2.8yrs till breakeven. Lovin it!

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Very interesting thread. I am super excited to hear more about truck and how it performs.

--------
One thing I would say is that I wish GM redesigned the rear suspension and make it a coil spring suspension.
RAM 2500 has got the best rear suspension system among all pick up trucks across the glob. It would be great if GM introduces a coil spring suspension in this segment too.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Woah, where do you live? In Texas the typical ROI on solar installs is at least a decade.

Bay Area. This winter the rates and tiered rate times were all tweaked. People are freaking out. I have a big pool that solar heats / filters during peak power time. We were starting to see $500-$600 bills from about March 2016. Today a cold month we might have a $80 gas bill. Warm months $10. Zero electric bill. Typical solar company deal is 4-6yr financing / breakeven deal. I went solo bought the gear hired a electrician, filed the permits etc. Half the cost then 30% tax credit on primo equipment vs the complete non name crap the installers bulk purchase. Its been awesome so far.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Running 32s 33s are a PITA to fit in the small wheel wells. About a 2" lift. Shift points were jacked afterwards IMO, some say they don't notice, I did. GM shifts based on TPS and MPH not a load calculation so since your overall diameter tire changed your MPH vs the Speedo is different and trying to drive for the corrected MPH in my head vs where the truck still though it should be shifting based on calculated rotations was no bueno for me.
details are here

Ok, that is super helpful. If that is the case we are probably going to keep the stock size or maybe bump up +1 for the near future with a good set of AT's to give some puncture resistance peace of mind. Hopefully once my busy work travel season is over I can spend more time researching specifics more. I really don't want to mess with the gearing and think this thing is pretty much heavenly as it is with regards to comfort, road noise, handling, and general composure. I also want to keep the pluses of this truck firmly in the plus side of the ledger like fuel economy and towing prowess. I have built enough vehicles in the past to know it is Really easy to ruin the things you like about a vehicle in order to raise capability and livability in the rough stuff. My whole mindset is keep it simple now and use the vehicle with modular kit that I can move from vehicle to vehicle easily and leave things as stock as possible, especially with this thing till it's through warranty period and I get a feel for what it really needs to address the weak areas.

That said, your rig looks amazing, easily the nicest new Colorado I have seen on the inner webs and I have shown my wife pics of it several times over the past few months. So, who knows, I might not be able to resist the urge.... haha.

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The diesel Canyon would be awesome road tripper especially with a tachoma habitat.

Does anyone know if the Tacoma Habitat fits the Colorado?? I assumed it didn't but not going to lie, that would be my dream setup for this truck.

Is that a new design or the Tacoma model? I would assume it would be pretty roomy on the Colorado given the deeper bed. Aw man, you just got me desiring pretty bad.

It is the Tacoma one, they test fit it a while back, that and a couple other pics are in the thread here for it. The roof/overhead gap is too funky for my liking

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
It is the Tacoma one, they test fit it a while back, that and a couple other pics are in the thread here for it. The roof/overhead gap is too funky for my liking

To be any tighter I think would definitely require the removal or modification of the OEM antennae.

I don't think a Habitat is going to be in the near future anyway, I see a soft topper being a necessity soon to keep gear dry and out of the weather. That's probably our next purchase.

To be any tighter I think would definitely require the removal or modification of the OEM antennae.

I don't think a Habitat is going to be in the near future anyway, I see a soft topper being a necessity soon to keep gear dry and out of the weather. That's probably our next purchase.

It's more than that.
Compare the Colorado fit on page 31 to the profile of the Tacoma fit (example on page 21, post 206 )
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...itat-Official-Thread/page31?highlight=habitat
If you look closely at the Colorado it's close but just not right enough. It's more of a "can be made to work" than an alternate option. Check out how the rear corners over hang on the Collie there's likely gonna be sealing issues, the back window fit isn't good either. It just aint right enough for that kinda money.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Small update. First off, having gotten to spend s good amount of time behind the wheel of this truck I can say I really love it. If I had to chose one vehicle to do everything this would be it. My wife did a 700 mile trip in it, all 2 lane roads a couple of weeks ago with the boys. She averaged 31mpg on the trip and even better the kids seem to really enjoy being in it. They were content for the 5.5 hour drive either direction which is huge. With their car seats they have a great view out the back windows and put through the front pretty well as well.

We have had an early spring and a rather weak winter. I have been dewinterizing our camper and hooked it up to the Colorado today to do a little test tow. I tried a quick run without weight distribution and it actually had less squat than I thought it would but I wanted it level. With weight distribution hooked up it was almost perfectly level.

Acceleration wasn't mind blowing but it was pretty close to what our 6 liter equipped Suburban can do but with a lot less fuss and noise. The exhaust brake is pretty seemless and well integrated, though I felt that some of the downshifts while braking were a bit on the aggressive side. There was a strong crosswind on the drive today which is good because that's been my big concern with this truck. Numbers-wise we are comfortably under the towing capacity, tongue weight, etc but being a high profile with a mid size truck I was curious how the stability would be. The stronger gusts were definitely causing me some sway but not bad. Bumps and corners all seemed pretty stable but driving 60mph and getting blasted with a big gust was my only time I felt any sway. Now with that said the truck runs a passenger rated tire inflated at the recommended psi of 35 at all four corners. I have high confidence that if I bump up the tire pressure to 40 or 45 it should address that pretty well. I well post up my results as we are taking the camper out for a few hundred mile outing this coming weekend.

The instant mpg's today while towing were showing between 14 and 16 while holding 60mph on flat road. That is promising and I am curious to see a trip average on this trip. The truck wasn't working hard at all and even seemed to hold the speed on hills with no drama. The interior sound levels are so low, I think a gas Colorado would likely be louder towing the same load since it would be holding higher rpms to be in the meat of the power and torque. This Duramax seems to pull Great from 1,500 then levels off around 3k. Our camper is 23 foot and 4,200lb dry weight, around 5ish when loaded on a trip.

It's also been great for throwing bikes in the back to go hit the local trailhead.

This weekend's trip will help us decide if we are going to use the truck for a 3 week trip pulling the camper to New England this June. If it proves stable it would be a lot easier on the wallet than the Suburban, though the Suburban is a dream to tow this camper with.

Last edited:

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
last comment of highjacking but that's really cool. Sounds like a fun project, would love to something like that at my house but like i said - payback isn't there in Texas. I do similar stuff for a living and we are doing more on the west coast and carribean but i still think it's going to be a while for Texas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior