Colorado Duramax thread

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
What awesome pics mate. That bike looks so rad cruising through the terrain. You got both a cool rig and some cool bikes. Cheers, Chilli...:)

superbuickguy

Explorer
I didn't realize this until quite recently - but a fully-loaded TRD gas-powered Tacoma is more dollars then a fully loaded ZR2 Diesel. It's been true for quite awhile that a Tacoma is more expensive then a Colorado - but how many actually cross shop?

Dalko43

Explorer
I didn't realize this until quite recently - but a fully-loaded TRD gas-powered Tacoma is more dollars then a fully loaded ZR2 Diesel. It's been true for quite awhile that a Tacoma is more expensive then a Colorado - but how many actually cross shop?

Where were you able to price out a fully-loaded ZR2? I haven't seen them on Chevy's website yet.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The reports on the 2.8 so far every one have been similar regarding people being pretty happy with it. The regen thing I think will get tweaked and perfected and be a non issue. Though short trips were temps don't get hot seem to upset all the modern diesel emissions systems. Though it seems if you have a longer trip mixed in with the short trips it helps keep things happy.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient

We cross shopped the Tacoma TRD Offroad with the Colorado DMax. My wife having lived for a d case in Jackson, WY had wanted a Taco for a long time though has been driving an Outback for her outdoor pursuits. I have had a Tundra, an FJ Cruiser, and 3 Land Cruisers so I have always been a Tacoma fan. The diesel was really intriguing and honestly we probably wouldn't have test driven a Colorado had it not been for the compelling case of the Duramax. The build quality, ride, and features of the Colorado impressed us as did its payload, towing, and economy numbers. We both preferred the interior and the more upright seating position. After comparing the Z71 to the LT we felt the LT was a better fit for us as I feel hill descent control is a bit uneeded with the diesel anyway and the LT is a bit less in your face styling wise. Then to top it off we got ours 10k off of the MSRP with 0% for 5 years. It wasn't even a question at that point.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I'm so in love with my Colorado diesel. it's the right size and 25 mpg (real number) of all city driving any my lead foot in Seattle is beyond impressive. I've added a winch and DECKED is coming Wednesday (not in love with DECKED - but maybe when I finally get it I'll change my mind..)

superbuickguy

Explorer
We cross shopped the Tacoma TRD Offroad with the Colorado DMax. My wife having lived for a d case in Jackson, WY had wanted a Taco for a long time though has been driving an Outback for her outdoor pursuits. I have had a Tundra, an FJ Cruiser, and 3 Land Cruisers so I have always been a Tacoma fan. The diesel was really intriguing and honestly we probably wouldn't have test driven a Colorado had it not been for the compelling case of the Duramax. The build quality, ride, and features of the Colorado impressed us as did its payload, towing, and economy numbers. We both preferred the interior and the more upright seating position. After comparing the Z71 to the LT we felt the LT was a better fit for us as I feel hill descent control is a bit uneeded with the diesel anyway and the LT is a bit less in your face styling wise. Then to top it off we got ours 10k off of the MSRP with 0% for 5 years. It wasn't even a question at that point.

I like Toyota, but they burned me and I'll never buy another new Toyota. That said, you'll be getting my FJ40 when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers :D

skyfree

Super happy with my ZR2 DMax. Here are the things I really like:
- Diesel engine is really usable at low RPM's. Torquing up hills in high gears is kind of fun. In 4H it runs at about 1450 rpm at 55 mph. At 80 it's right at 2,000.
- Fuel economy is great for a lifted, widened truck with no air dam. I'm averaging right at 24 mpg in 50/50 mixed driving.
- The Bose audio is great once I added the Kicker subwoofer sold by Chevy as an add-on. Really like the jams on the way to work.
- Ride is really smooth and compliant unloaded or loaded. Those DSSV shocks are magic.
- Transmission programming is spot-on.
- Fantastic performance on snow and ice. I probably drove over 1,500 miles on snow and ice this winter and I feel like the Duratracs are a lot better on ice than the BFG AT K02's I had on another vehicle.
- Tows my 3,500 lb travel trailer easily. Built-in trailer brake controller is really nice.
- Nav/Audio unit works really well with some nice steering wheel controls. It pairs with the iPhone for Car Play much more reliably than the Honda Pilot we have.

Here are the little things that are annoying:
- DEF consumption is a lot higher than I expected. Probably close to 1 gal/1000 miles.
- The seats are SUPER hard. We use gel cushions on long trips. Some people like that, so it won't necessarily be a negative for everyone.
- The engine sounds aren't that pleasing. It's hard to describe, but 4cyl diesel clatter just doesn't sound that great to my ear. I'm coming from a V6 VW 3.0 though, which was super quiet most of the time and sounded pretty good when reved out.
- Shock mounts really need protection. I wish they didn't stick down so far, or were placed farther outboard so it is less of an issue. I put on some Fab 589 shock mount protectors which is cheap/easy insurance.
- More payload would be nice, but it's the nature of the beast and I understand that is counter to the basic design of this model

Srpat

Observer
Do you know if anybody has relocated the bottom rear shock mounts? I cringe every time I see a Colorado. They stick so far down from the axle and they are so far away from the wheels, unlike a Tacoma. Just curious. One of the many questions floating through my head as I figure out if I want to buy a Tacoma or Colorado. And does anybody have any information on adding front/rear lockers? Does ARB make an air locker? How about the need for re-gearing with a 33" tire and how high do you need to lift this to fit a 33" tire in a square hole? I can't believe the premiums being charged for ZR2s on the lots. At best, no discount, at worst, they are going for a $3-5,000 mark up from msrp. I figure for the price of a decently outfitted LT trim model, I have several thousand to upgrade suspension, lockers, tires, bumpers, etc.

Uluax

ZR2 wheels on a Teardrop?? Advise please.
Hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction. I have recently bought this used Lead Dog Hiker Teardrop. The original owner had a Jeep so he had it built with Jeep wheels (5 on 5).
My tow vehicle is a 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 which has a 6 on 5 hole pattern. I went to the local Trailer source store to try and find matching trailer hubs and I was told that trailer hubs are only available in 6 on 5.5". Someone else mentioned that there might be an aluminum adapter available to install an actual Chevy hub on a trailer axle but couldn't help me locate such an animal. Anyone have any ideas how I could match my Chevy wheels on my teardrop ?

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    981.5 KB · Views: 57

Dalko43

Explorer
Super happy with my ZR2 DMax. Here are the things I really like:
- Diesel engine is really usable at low RPM's. Torquing up hills in high gears is kind of fun. In 4H it runs at about 1450 rpm at 55 mph. At 80 it's right at 2,000.
- Fuel economy is great for a lifted, widened truck with no air dam. I'm averaging right at 24 mpg in 50/50 mixed driving.
- The Bose audio is great once I added the Kicker subwoofer sold by Chevy as an add-on. Really like the jams on the way to work.
- Ride is really smooth and compliant unloaded or loaded. Those DSSV shocks are magic.
- Transmission programming is spot-on.
- Fantastic performance on snow and ice. I probably drove over 1,500 miles on snow and ice this winter and I feel like the Duratracs are a lot better on ice than the BFG AT K02's I had on another vehicle.
- Tows my 3,500 lb travel trailer easily. Built-in trailer brake controller is really nice.
- Nav/Audio unit works really well with some nice steering wheel controls. It pairs with the iPhone for Car Play much more reliably than the Honda Pilot we have.

Here are the little things that are annoying:
- DEF consumption is a lot higher than I expected. Probably close to 1 gal/1000 miles.
- The seats are SUPER hard. We use gel cushions on long trips. Some people like that, so it won't necessarily be a negative for everyone.
- The engine sounds aren't that pleasing. It's hard to describe, but 4cyl diesel clatter just doesn't sound that great to my ear. I'm coming from a V6 VW 3.0 though, which was super quiet most of the time and sounded pretty good when reved out.
- Shock mounts really need protection. I wish they didn't stick down so far, or were placed farther outboard so it is less of an issue. I put on some Fab 589 shock mount protectors which is cheap/easy insurance.
- More payload would be nice, but it's the nature of the beast and I understand that is counter to the basic design of this model

Awesome review of the ZR2. Sounds like it is delivering the capabilities that GM advertised. Your report of 24 mpg combined is a truly indicative of how efficient this 2.8l diesel is; if your ZR2 is getting that good of mpg, I'd imagine that the less-modified trims are getting even better.

Payload: The crew cab, short bed Colorado is still rated for ~1.3k-1.4.k lbs isn't it? I'd assume that if you wanted to, you could look at changing out the suspension for slightly more payload. But then again, those OEM shocks seem to make the ZR2 so special in the first place, so I don't know the value added with such a modification.

DEF consumption: 1 gallon of DEF per 1k miles seems pretty standard for most diesels, so I don't think your DEF consumption is anything abnormal. People who frequently tow heavy will actually get less mileage out of their DEF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94