Nothing but problems with my Tepui, advice?

laneyloose

Wheel Every Weekend
Hi everyone! I've been hesitant to post this but i'm at my wits end with my RTT right now. I've had the tent for under a year... used it around a dozen times, and it has been nothing but problems for me. I lurked on the RTT threads for a long time before i got a deal I thought was too good to pass up (rei 20% off and the REI CC discount) on an atuana sky model. I don't want to start a pissing contest about tent brands, I'm just looking for advice and what my options are here. I'm going to try and list the problems in chronological order and ill include a few pictures of them as well.

1. First day i set the tent up the ladder wobbled about 2" back and forth. Found most of the nuts holding the plastic couplings on were stripped, contacted tepui and they sent another one very promptly and were admittedly very easy to deal with.

2. First trip out, woke up sore from the mattress, immediately bought a memory foam pad and some camping pads and cut them to shape to keep them in there (i only mention this because this could be the source of one of my problems)

3. One of the ladder bolts came loose and disappeared, couldnt find nut to hold it on anywhere so had to hold it in with wire for a night. The nylock nut was beginning to disintegrate on the other bolt so i assume that was the issue.

4. The 2 velcro straps that hold the cover down stopped adhering to each other, and would fly around wildly on the freeway within 5 minutes of me stopping to fix them. Replaced them with pull straps. As a side note the velcro straps that hold the 2 tent bases together stopped working within a week of this problem, maybe because I have to keep the memory foam pad in there as well? Here is a picture of the velcro after a few uses. And no i didn't sinch it down very tight at all because i was worried about storing it under compression.
20170326_080950.jpg

5. Noticed the hinges are slightly tweaked which eventually resulted in the alluminum lip not lining up anymore, so i have to shove the tent up and into place as i unfold it. This was my first time dealing with the chineese hardware used. You can see one of the bolts was actually bent which is not something i encounter very often (ever).
20170104_121419 (1).jpg

6. After this i replaced a few of them with real bolts with some bigger washers, but still had problems with the hinge not lining up. You can see the wear marks on the alluminum lip as well. Not sure how the alluminum side rail got bent like that, it was never hit or anything, must be related to the tweaked hinge?
20170310_124653 (1).jpg

7. The screws holding the main hoops into their plastic retainers were all loose, and 2 were missing I assume from backing out (sorry no pic). This was causing the top hoop to pop out a bit as i closed the tent.

A) I had one of the bolts that holds the main rails to the tent base pull through the alluminum bottom, noticed it while on the freeway as the tent was flopping around, fixed that with some massive fender washers on the tent base side and by moving the alluminum rail over a bit to where there was still some alluminum to bite on. I'll try to get a pic of what i mean later.

B) Just this weekend i had a similar problem during my 4 day stay in death valley where 2 of the bolts had backed out from the nylock nuts which had once again began to fall apart. Luckily the nuts stayed in the alluminum rail so i just had to shove them back over and reinstall them with a bit of locktite.
P3250967.jpg
20170325_210718 (1).jpg
This picture is deceptive, the bolt doesnt run down to the tabs, the bolt that is loose is the one that holds the tent base to the alluminum rail.
20170325_210004 (1).jpg

9. As a minor thing i had to re-tie all the knots on the inner bungees, as the bungee material itself is beginning to fall apart.

10. The ladder is beginning to wear a hole in the tent from bouncing around, the top strap can't hold it down tight enough to control its movement while offroading. I'm not speed demon, i only sit at 3.5" of up travel so im not exactly pre-runnering around...

11. The cover is beginning to tear where it slides into the tent base by the end of the zipper, i've had it on and off maybe 5 times total.

Besides these issues i do like the idea, but i just can't get over having to fix my house everytime i sleep in it. We do get some good use out of it though.
IMG_1566.jpg
IMG_1368.jpg

You can imagine how upset all this makes me, especially considering the price of the tent. I camped with a friend this past weekend and he has a smittybuilt thats the same as my atuana (like identical down to the stitching and hardware used except for the ladder and mattress and the fact that he spent 500$ less on it), and he had one of his main hoop bolts back out, so i feel better knowing its not just me. I'm looking for thoughts and advice as to what my options are.

Options:

1. Should i just spend a day replacing every single piece of hardware on the tent with american bolts and real nylock nuts?
2. Could my issues with the hinge be related to storing the 2" memory foam pad in the tent? Which would explain some of my problems but not all the problems with the cheap hardware.
3. Thankfully i did buy this from REI so it carries a 1 year no questions asked warranty... and i think tepui warranty's them for a year which i am well under, should i go through the hassle of returning it and switch to a cot or something else?
4. Has anyone else had all these issues with the hardware in the tents and if so how did you address them?
5. Could these problems be somehow related to how i have it mounted since i have it bolted directly to tabs instead of using the supplied bar straps?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for any advice or wisdom you can share!
TLDR: Chineese hardware issues and poor QA/QC are causing me a massive headache, should i return the tent or try and fix it some more?

Last edited:

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Return- Whats your time invested worth?

Now- You could look at your mounting and pad additions- You could be adding to the problem. At this point I think will just continue to be frustrated with the purchase.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I'd say try the warranty. I'm glad you posted this though as I was just looking at one of these on REI's site yesterday (got the 20% off flyer). This makes me lean to shelling out more and going with the Gordigear RTT or at least just buying the Smittybilt instead.

Kevin108

Explorer
Are you sure you're setting the tent up right? It almost looks like you're not using the ladder to properly support the floating half of the floor. That would put too much pressure on the lip and the hinges, resulting in some of the damage you've described.

Box Rocket

Sorry you've been frustrated with the tent. Where was your tent purchased? Did you purchase it new or used?
Have you tried contacting anyone at Tepui about anything other than the ladder bolts that they replaced?
The bent hinges and tracks is highly unusual and the only time I've seen anything like that was from an impact of some kind. Not saying that's what happened with yours but if the hinge was truly defective, Tepui should have been contacted and it's potentially a warranty item depending on the cause.
Its usually a good idea to contact the company with these issues and find a solution before going public with your frustration. I'm sure that Tepui will work with you to find the appropriate solution.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I had some similar issues with my tepui but they never amounted to any kind of deal breaker. I love my Tepui. I even bought mine "gently" used.

My hook and loop died after a few months but I replaced it with genuine "Velcro". No issues since.

I had some hardware issues when I first got mine (a bit of rust starting) and I ended up replacing most of the bolts I could with stainless. Last year, at the end of the season, I did have to go over the whole tent and "nut and bolt" everything thing (ie: tighten things up) but I do this on all my gear routinely as maintenance.

I could see some issues with the mounting rail to the tent base; Since these are self-tapping screws they do have the potential to be under/over-tightened and work themselves lose. I actually bolt straight through the inner support rails into my rack and use big fender washers on top to spread the force.

I kinda agree with Kevin108 on the hinge/corner issue; Looks like the hinge was over-extended a bit.

I understand your frustrations as the RTTs fall into the "investment" zone for most of us (me included). I researched the h*ll out of tents before I decided on Tepui (Check out my thread here) . And one of the major aspects of going with Tepui was their customer service; that said, reach out to Tepui and REI and see what they'll do for you. Most companies/stores just need the opportunity to make things right (or atleast try).

Box Rocket is a fantastic resource here on ExPo! You'll be in good hands with him guiding you.

jerseyjeeper

If I were in your position I would try to get REI or Tepui to replace the tent. Upon receiving the new one promptly swap out all of the hardware for quality stainless steel. At this point you have learned what the tents weakness' are, what straps / hardware don't hold up, etc. I wouldn't continue to fix the tent in its current condition and potentially miss your 1 year warranty mark. Get a new one, put on quality hardware, and it should last you a long time. Just my 2 cents. As others have stated, Box Rocket is a phenomenal resource here. Good luck!

laneyloose

Wheel Every Weekend
It's true i have invested considerable time into the maintenance of the tent which i wouldnt get a return on. I love the idea, and with a severely ganked up back i need a flat comfortable surface to sleep on or i get really bad nerve pain.

M1078- Id say get the smittybuilt, i can tell you upon up close in person inspection I am 100% positive they are the same tent with different ladders and mattresses... also my friend got his for 714 at the 4WP sale, almost 500 cheaper than mine. And he got a lifetime warranty on it for 75 more which was smart.

Kevin108- The first time i used it i had the ladder way out like almost at a 45 degree angle which didnt feel right, now i have the ladder almost straight up and down as i read online to do it and as you can see in the bottom picture. It does support the floating end. I don't think these problems could be from the one night i used it like that but that is a possibility, and that was when i first owned it.

Box Rocket- I purchased the tent new at REI during one of their 20% off sales. Tepui replaced the whole lader not the bolts, i still have the old ladder and it's crazy wobbly from all the stripped nuts in it. All the hardware I have replaced myself with grade 5 or 8 bolts and nuts. I talked to a brand rep while i was out at KOH and he told me they would be willing to send me replacement parts if i paid shipping which i thought was awesome of them! I wanted one of the reps to look at the tent to see if i was doing something wrong like maybe with how i was mounting it or using it but i got caught up in the races. My problem has more so been with the cheap Chinese fasteners. I did ********** the cover on a branch that had been partially cut off a tree (hard enough to rip a small piece of it, though easily mended) while cruising through a fire road (my own fault 100%). This was almost 2 months after the beginning of my bent bolt problem and the compressed alluminum rail piece according to the date stamp on my phone pictures. The bent bolt and compressed alluminum rail has been progressive, and i actually think it's still getting worse, maybe from my mattress system? Or maybe it was exacerbated by my negligence in breaking off that branch with the cover and wouldn't have progressed this far had i not done that?

When i close it up with the memory foam pad in it i cant leave a pillow or a sleeping bag in it at all, so maybe im exceeding the design? In July when i first had the problem with the ladder and first noticed the hardware issues and began to have the tent not close properly sometimes due to the main hoop screws backing out and the fact that i could tighten the nylock nuts on most of the bolts with my fingers, i contacted REI and they said they have a 1 year return policy on it essentially no questions asked, so i'm more looking for what others have done in similar situations to see if i've done my true diligence as an end consumer to address any issues i'm having. Im not ruling out that these issues could all be my fault for how i mount it or use it, tepui customer service has been very good so far but they don't make the tents they're just an importer.

laneyloose

Wheel Every Weekend
I could see some issues with the mounting rail to the tent base; Since these are self-tapping screws they do have the potential to be under/over-tightened and work themselves lose. I actually bolt straight through the inner support rails into my rack and use big fender washers on top to spread the force.

I kinda agree with Kevin108 on the hinge/corner issue; Looks like the hinge was over-extended a bit.

I'm confused by the first part, i think the only self tapping screws are on the main hoops? The bolts through the inner support rails are not self tapping they have nylock nuts on them. I upgraded to fender washers as well after my first failure with one of the inner bolts that hold the alluminum rail on to the tent base pulling through the metal and making the tent come loose on the freeway, just to be sure.

laneyloose

Wheel Every Weekend
Return it to REI, buy a cot instead

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have been eyeballing the 2 person tent cots on amazon lately as an alternative if i do decide to return it to REI. I love the ease of set up but im sick of wrenching on my house when my 30 year old axles on my 20 year old truck are essentially problem free on trips

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I have been eyeballing the 2 person tent cots on amazon lately as an alternative if i do decide to return it to REI. I love the ease of set up but im sick of wrenching on my house when my 30 year old axles on my 20 year old truck are essentially problem free on trips
2 person cots always have a bar or something in the middle, that's the only downside is they aren't always great for 2 people

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

It's true i have invested considerable time into the maintenance of the tent which i wouldnt get a return on. I love the idea, and with a severely ganked up back i need a flat comfortable surface to sleep on or i get really bad nerve pain.

M1078- Id say get the smittybuilt, i can tell you upon up close in person inspection I am 100% positive they are the same tent with different ladders and mattresses... also my friend got his for 714 at the 4WP sale, almost 500 cheaper than mine. And he got a lifetime warranty on it for 75 more which was smart.

Kevin108- The first time i used it i had the ladder way out like almost at a 45 degree angle which didnt feel right, now i have the ladder almost straight up and down as i read online to do it and as you can see in the bottom picture. It does support the floating end. I don't think these problems could be from the one night i used it like that but that is a possibility, and that was when i first owned it.

Box Rocket- I purchased the tent new at REI during one of their 20% off sales. Tepui replaced the whole lader not the bolts, i still have the old ladder and it's crazy wobbly from all the stripped nuts in it. All the hardware I have replaced myself with grade 5 or 8 bolts and nuts. I talked to a brand rep while i was out at KOH and he told me they would be willing to send me replacement parts if i paid shipping which i thought was awesome of them! I wanted one of the reps to look at the tent to see if i was doing something wrong like maybe with how i was mounting it or using it but i got caught up in the races. My problem has more so been with the cheap Chinese fasteners. I did ********** the cover on a branch that had been partially cut off a tree (hard enough to rip a small piece of it, though easily mended) while cruising through a fire road (my own fault 100%). This was almost 2 months after the beginning of my bent bolt problem and the compressed alluminum rail piece according to the date stamp on my phone pictures. The bent bolt and compressed alluminum rail has been progressive, and i actually think it's still getting worse, maybe from my mattress system? Or maybe it was exacerbated by my negligence in breaking off that branch with the cover and wouldn't have progressed this far had i not done that?

When i close it up with the memory foam pad in it i cant leave a pillow or a sleeping bag in it at all, so maybe im exceeding the design? In July when i first had the problem with the ladder and first noticed the hardware issues and began to have the tent not close properly sometimes due to the main hoop screws backing out and the fact that i could tighten the nylock nuts on most of the bolts with my fingers, i contacted REI and they said they have a 1 year return policy on it essentially no questions asked, so i'm more looking for what others have done in similar situations to see if i've done my true diligence as an end consumer to address any issues i'm having. Im not ruling out that these issues could all be my fault for how i mount it or use it, tepui customer service has been very good so far but they don't make the tents they're just an importer.
Thanks for responding.
First off....I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Smittybuilt is NOT the same tent as the Tepui, even though it may look like it. ;)
Next, any chance you can post a photo of your ladders (old and new)? Just curious if the bad ladder was the old design.
It's difficult to know for certain, but it does sound like the "run-in" with the tree could have contributed to the bent hardware and hinge problem. As for the mattresses, if it takes a decent amount of force to get the tent to collapse fully in order to get the cover in place or the zipper zipped, then you might be putting too much strain on those parts with how much you are leaving inside the tent. Comfort is very subjective and plenty of people sleep great on the standard mattress, and others do not. That's a nearly impossible thing to be perfect for everyone on the mattresses. However, Tepui does have their new Luxury mattress that is a denser foam than the standard mattress and might allow you to not need the memory foam and other pads.
This strain could also contribute to the premature failure of the hook and loop straps if those are under a lot of strain. One solution could be to upgrade to the straps from the Ruggedized models which are a bit wider than the straps on the standard tents with more surface area for the hook and loop to stay connected.
I have seen that overtightening the bolts can strip out the nylon in the nylocks rendering them "not nylocks" (scientific term) any longer, and the vibrations of offroad travel can cause them to get loose over time.
In the end, I think you have a number of unique things going on that are not typical of Tepui products. You're best course of action is to return it to REI since they are where you made the purchase. I would hope you wouldn't give up on Tepui just yet, but get a replacement tent. I'm happy to walk through the mounting and setup with you anytime over the phone. You can always reach my on my cell at 801-710-8110. I'm confident that we can get you feeling satisfied and pleased with your original decision to choose Tepui and to stick with it.
Let me know how I can help.

laneyloose

Wheel Every Weekend
You know i find the whole smittybuilt not being a tepui hard to believe, the patterns, the bolts, the hoops, the stitching... it all seemed identical on close up inspection. Except for the color the mattress and the ladder i couldnt find a difference when parked side by side. So we might have to agree to disagree there. Also the tent looks exactly the same as the one sold on alibaba for 300-600 bucks, which if i could figure out how to fill out customs forms i would have purchased instead https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...6807502.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.zKjjao&s=p

I appreciate your response. I think the bad ladder was actually the new design, both the ladders are identical in every aspect except for the stability once they are set up. When they sent me the new one i torqued every single bolt on it to the same spec (i think like 12 ft lbs). It doesnt take any force to put the cover on, thats why i don't store the sleeping bag or pillow in it, so that specific situation doesn't happen. The cover fits with a little room to spare. Maybe i should try the luxury mattress, as i said in an earlier post i have some pretty severe back problems so i need a flat comfortable surface to sleep on or else i get nerve pain. This is incredibly difficult to find when im camping for days at a time so i feel some loyalty as im not sure id be camping still without this tent! Since the hook and loop side straps became frayed i stopped using them, i just thought maybe that could have contributed to the hinge getting slightly bent. As im offroading the tent could be moving up and down an inch or so and wobbling side to side?

These nuts were not overtightened, the nylock part is literally disintegrating or tearing apart which is something i have not seen. The nylocks that hold my front coilovers have been torqued to 60 ft lbs for at least a year and get brake fluid and power steering fluid on them regularly with no loss in torque or degredation of the material. I kept the nut and bolt from the side of the ladder that didnt back out, and i can tighten the nylock nut by hand the whole way through the bolt. To me this is the #1 inexcuseable failure i have had, cheaping out on hardware.

These problems really dont seem typical but i think i also use the tent and offroad with it on more than most of the end consumers its designed for. I would have purchased a ruggedized in the first place but it never occured to me that offroading with the tent on would be a problem since i thought that was it's whole deal. Does anyone sell a hardware upgrade kit for these tents, with american nuts and bolts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94