budget harbor freight build/2014 wrangler sport

captwoody

Adventurer
Thanks especially for the woody proof arrow on where bolt goes, Gonna start off with 2 pac and 2 rear corners

wagex

Adventurer
I attached 2x2 angle iron to frame and tongue to gusset it for additional strength. but I know what you mean, but I look at it as a start I did not know how far I would go with this plus for me part of the fun is the interaction on the boards and the build itself. Like today went to scrap yard bought a 36" piece of 2x2 square tube stock and made a 2" ball trailer hitch extension ($7.00) for when on hiway. When offroad unplug and put pintle on for trails. longer tows better.Will work on pics tomorrow heading out to sons game

yeah about the same happened with me i didnt really intend to go as far as i did it was orignally going to just be something for fishing, throw fishing gear buckets ect and go with a wrangler i didnt have much room for stuff especially buckets with bait in them. then i was like oh il add this for camping, oh il ad this dang i need more room better build a bigger box. lol.

captwoody

Adventurer
Back to scrapyard today to pick up aluminum angle to rebuild front cooler/propane tank rack will post picks when finished

captwoody

Adventurer
aluminum rack

Here's the aluminum rack and tongue extension, out of play money till payday. still need 3500lb axle , 5x5 hubs. 1.5" wheel spacers and at least 3 jk wheels so this will do for now
full

Outdoorsy

"TRAILER INVENTORY
BOX 2
K-CUP COFFEE PRESS
..."

Ha, gotta have that Keurig for when SHTF!

Nice list, I am going to borrow some of it

captwoody

Adventurer
5 seasons of Wildland firefighting put an end to me roughing it. Now after 38 years in fire service I proudly say I want to be a GLAMPER. I am thinking of a window AC :clapsmile:clapsmile:clapsmile

captwoody

Adventurer
Ordered 3500 lb custom axle, and spring retrofit kit from compact camping concepts. Will order wheel spacers after payday on amazon . And shopping craigslist for some Jeep JK takeoffs for trailer and 2nd spare. Once axle gets installed will order spare 3500 lb hub and bearings. I will take old axle and springs and make a lightweight kayak trailer out of aluminum

rnArmy

Adventurer
I think you will appreciate the spring retrofit kit (and your trailer and its contents will definitely appreciate them!). Keep the pictures coming.

wagex

Adventurer
i need to do that lol mine still has the original springs, those poor guys take a beating, considering trailer weighs about 1300 fully loaded minus axle and wheels and tongue weight its right around the 960lb rating of the original trailer on those springs lol.

Last edited:

captwoody

Adventurer
Picked up 5 17x7.5 jeep jk aluminum rims with no tpms or stems but at least 3 good tires for a 100 bucks off craigslist.I can just put regular valve stems in the 3 I am going to use for trailer correct? Also I ordered my 2" noncentric wheel spacers so rims will fit new axle. so in 3-4 weeks when axle gets here I should be ready to do changeover. once I get wheels and axle installed will probably lower aluminum tent rack a few more inches

captwoody

Adventurer
test run across anza

Gonna take trailer across Anza Borrego to test new tongue setup. Tongue is gusseted with 2- 6' 2"x2" 1/4 angle iron bolted in 8 spots to stock weak harbor freight tongue. My welds will let me know if there is movement on 2" receiver box on tongue 2 bolts on each side of seam. I will switch to short lunnete ring for off road portion
full

And yes my welds stink, will get brother in law to finish later but this will do for now

wagex

Adventurer
Gonna take trailer across Anza Borrego to test new tongue setup. Tongue is gusseted with 2- 6' 2"x2" 1/4 angle iron bolted in 8 spots to stock weak harbor freight tongue. My welds will let me know if there is movement on 2" receiver box on tongue 2 bolts on each side of seam. I will switch to short lunnete ring for off road portion
full

And yes my welds stink, will get brother in law to finish later but this will do for now

please dont tell me you are driving it like that? no offence but that looks like a good way to get someone killed. or atleast tell me theres something more than those welds holding it.

go get yourself a like 8ft long piece of 2.5" diameter 1/4 wall square tubing and run that along the bottom of the trailer to the rear and use that for a tongue. that's how i did mine even with the stock length tongue on these its pretty common for it to just pop the bolts out of the tongue at the center cross member. as its not very thick there.
heres how i attached my tongue to the frame to accomidate for the extra torque from the extended tongue and extra weight on the trailer. what i did to make it extend was put another piece of 5ft long 2x2" square tubing that slides in and out from that bigger piece. can see all that stuff on my build thread. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ffroad-trailer-build-log-move-new-tow-vehicle
004.jpeg

Last edited:

captwoody

Adventurer
There are four grade 8 bolts holding it 2 more than most 2" ball receivers have and four more gusseting 2x2 angle to tongue and 4 more attaching angle to frame. drove 200 miles 30 miles across desert shell reef expressway/crossover trail. none of the tongue attachments had any issues. welded because bolted gussets can flex not to hold tongue on. wanted to stop tongue twisting that these can do when used off road. it did not twist

Last edited:

wagex

Adventurer
There are four grade 8 bolts holding it 2 more than most 2" ball receivers have and four more gusseting 2x2 angle to tongue and 4 more attaching angle to frame. drove 200 miles 30 miles across desert shell reef expressway/crossover trail. none of the tongue attachments had any issues. welded because bolted gussets can flex not to hold tongue on. wanted to stop tongue twisting that these can do when used off road. it did not twist

i gotcha i was just worried that weld was the only thing holding it lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94