budget harbor freight build/2014 wrangler sport

captwoody

Adventurer
I did Beat the crap out of it tacoing it in deep drop off I should have went around. wanted to push it. repairable and valuable lessons learned. now just waiting for parts to arrive and need to add some heavy duty cross members. lightweight harbor freight front frame cross member dented when trailer bottomed out. Was so busy reinforcing tongue forgot cross member might be weak linc now. easy fix though. But hey my welds held just fine:)

captwoody

Adventurer
Trailer good to go, repairs way easier than anticipated. Went to nylocks on nuts as they loosened causing play. Waiting on axle to arrive then install, add gussets, test drive to make sure set up is correct then weld bolted connections and gussets

rnArmy

Adventurer
Yup - it doesn't take much to reinforce these little HF trailers to make them so much better for off-road travel. I've got a piece of 2" angle iron bolted across the front of my front cross member as part of my cooler-tray stet-up. That and the aluminum diamond plate box really adds rigidity to the whole set-up.

captwoody

Adventurer
I made a mistake when I sandwiched my stock tongue with 2x2 angle I used bolts without nylocks to attach to front trailer rail. they worked loose. so lock tite or nylocks plus welds and I will be done.just waiting for axle to arrive and change it out then once fitted I will weld

captwoody

Adventurer
Well my wheel spacers came, spring kit came, bought JK Wheels and tires. Custom 3500lb 5x5 axle was to take 2.5-4 weeks and I ordered April 10 so should be here any time now and can mount everything up. Been at work a bunch so not really a delay just eager to get done. And its been a while since posting so I thought I would update. I axle gets here this week hope to finish SAT/SUN

captwoody

Adventurer
Axle shipped but don't think it will get here in time for weekend install. Especially since Sunday is Mothers day, don't even want to try that one. So next day off is Thursday. If I work hard I may be able to go camping :REOutCampFire03:

captwoody

Adventurer
Axle delivered today will try Thursday when I get off to get installed if I don't have honey do's . Think I have everything I need but the valve stems and balance on the JK wheels. Then need to modify fenders to cover 32" wheel instead of 25" wheel. Then later add electric brakes and a controller. Between tire size and axle diameter picking up an additional 4.5" clearance

captwoody

Adventurer
old axle off will install new spring kit and axle this weekend with 32" tires
full

captwoody

Adventurer
Well I now have 3500lb axle, smooth ride spring kit, 5x5 hubs with 2" spacers(needed to run jk wheels) JK Wheels with 255/75/17 tires. Picked up 5" more clearance and don't have to worry about 1200lb axle and dinky wheel bearings. plus my spares will fit jeep and trailer. and I now have a wide footprint so trailer wont sink or slide around as much. its to hot to work anymore so I will hook lights back up later
full

need new fenders don't think old one are going to cut it

captwoody

Adventurer
well after not finding fenders that were not wide enough ended up making my own out of aluminum. now I am back to road legal and can start using again
full

full

time to go camping

captwoody

Adventurer
First test run camping Blair Valley in Anza Borrego with teenage son did some stargazing, and took pictures of some Nocturnal snakes. 2 patch nose snakes and one glossy sand snake. fridge ran off jeep battery since only one night. used mister in morning. think build is done for now.
full

captwoody

Adventurer
Waiting on pics to be forwarded by my 17 yr old son/photographer. He is in San Diego with Mom I am at work at Fire station so if I am lucky tomorrow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94