Tac pant for men of substantial dimensions?

Lykos

Super Trucker
Check LA Police Gear http://www.lapolicegear.com/pants.html. There are a lot of "larger" EMS personnel and I know many of them buy clothes from there and like them. Their own store brand "LA Police Gear" seems to be popular as they are pretty inexpensive but they carry a lot of different brands; it looks like they have pants up to size 60.

I like the 5.11s myself; as noted they wear well and have the elastic in the waist band making them more comfortable, especially if you sometimes carry things IWB. :ylsmoke:

All that and a G19 with light is hard to fit in a regular pair of pants. LoL

I'll check them out!

Lykos

Super Trucker
Thanks for all the responses.

I'll definately check oit Duluth and 5.11.
I used to be an EMT and our BDU pants had elastic waist bands that made moving around really easy so I'll check a local uniform shop too.

And, I might go jogging and eat some lettuce or some sh@t. :)

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
Anyone have a recommendation for a summer weight water resistant pant? I've got some CQR Lightweight Tactical Pants, which are great by the way, but they are too warm for a hot humid east coast summer.

Any thoughts?

TommyG

Adventurer
Anyone have a recommendation for a summer weight water resistant pant? I've got some CQR Lightweight Tactical Pants, which are great by the way, but they are too warm for a hot humid east coast summer.

Any thoughts?

I picked up a pair of these to try for just that reason. Heavy work/tac pants are too much when it gets steamy. They are not inexpensive but so far they are just what the doctor ordered for lighter/cooler. They are holding up well and shed water:

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-storm-tactical-patrol-pants/pid1265491-290

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Substantial dimensions . . . lol

I'm 6'5" 350ish and have been looking for similar stuff. 5.11 has quite a few pants in a 48 waist that are hem to length. I'll probably order some here soon as they should be able to be hemmed plenty long enough. I find too often that stuff that is labeled Big AND Tall, really should be Big OR Tall.

Oldmancrash

Adventurer
I second the LAPG. I have had 2 pair for about a year now and really find that they fit well. I don't get the restricted feeling with these when kneeling and squatting. Getting in and out of rigs I don’t feel like the crotch is going to rip out. I am 6'2" and about 270. I bought the 38's. I believe I paid like $39 for these and will get more in different colors.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I picked up a pair of these to try for just that reason. Heavy work/tac pants are too much when it gets steamy. They are not inexpensive but so far they are just what the doctor ordered for lighter/cooler. They are holding up well and shed water:

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-storm-tactical-patrol-pants/pid1265491-290

I like those, but I guess under armour doesn't think anyone needs a 36 length? You'd think with all the marketing they do to athletes they would have bigger sizes.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I like those, but I guess under armour doesn't think anyone needs a 36 length? You'd think with all the marketing they do to athletes they would have bigger sizes.

thats what amazes me. at 6'4" i aint **** anymore. some of these 16yo kids have 60 pounds and 3 inches on me. (some more, but theyll be in di'a'beedis' land by 20) i see young guys taller than me everywhere. i was a forward. im point on a middle school team now. where the **** are they getting their pants???? everything stops at 34 until youre fat. i cant find 32x36 anywhere. yea, thats right.... im BELOW my high school weight.

jgaz

Adventurer
I wear 33x36 in. Carhardt brand blue jean

I have found these BDUs to be a good fit for me. I purchased a Med/Long to get a size that works for me. There is a wide selection of sizes available.
http://www.militaryclothing.com/Poly-Cotton-Olive-Drab-OD-BDU-Cargo-Pants.asps

I own two pair and use them extensively to hike and do trail construction and maintance. They've held up well and seem to be a good value for $30 apiece.
They are treated with something and are a bit stiff when purchased. I washed them a few times with a load of bath towels and that helped a lot.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
...where the **** are they getting their pants???? everything stops at 34 until youre fat...

Ain't that the truth. I'm 6'3" around 225. It's like I'm a normal sized person from the belt up, but not from the belt down. If I buy a "Tall" size shirt it looks like I'm wearing a dress but pants barely exist in my length that are not 48 around or some crap.

I was a 36 waist and that made it nearly impossible, now I've gained enough weight I can hold up a 38x36 and be sort of comfortable but on the verge of looking like Jethro Bodine since the inseam is barely adequate at 36. I really need a 38x38 but that's not going to happen. I used to need a 36x38 and that is completely unobtainable.

For the last year or two finding pants has been such a pain I've worn $10 jeans I lucked up on at a local farm supply that fit well enough I cleaned them out of every pair they had and ended up with like 6-7 pair. But here recently I've been getting tired of jeans as I miss the pockets on tac pants and my job is swinging in a direction I think I should be a bit more business casual from time to time. Tac pants usually strike a balance where I'm not so dressed up I look like the facilities token brown-noser, but I can wear a nice shirt with it and be comfortable.

About the best I've come up within tac pants is what has already been mentioned, Tru-Spec 24-7 pants in unhemmed, which come just barely long enough so I can have them hemmed to exactly what I need. I used to get 5.11 stuff but they quit letting me get unhemmed stuff in that size range (I actually called the company directly and asked, and the response was like, oh we stopped doing that, sucks for you), so screw them, and I think I like the Tru-Spec pocket layout better anyway. I actually wore out 5.11 pants to the point they fell apart, have not yet done that to a Tru-Spec pair.

I recently got 3 new pair of Tru-Spec since I outgrew my 36's and this time got both poly blend and a cotton pair and will see which I prefer (which I think will be temperature dependent.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste