building the kitchen -vs- forgo that and use MRE's???

krax

Adventurer
I see MREs as an emergency-only food source. For all of the reasons above, plus the amount of preservatives in them.

Mountain House and similar prep-in-bag meals are a pretty good compromise between an MREs and outdoor gourmet meals and produce much less trash than an MRE.

We do a lot of "Mediterranean" dinners which are usually some sort of cured meats, cheeses, olives, fruits, and breads. Plus this facilitates lounging around the fire, drinking a bit of beer and wine and just relaxing. I usually cut everything up and just leave it on the cutting board and we graze.

Good point. I especially enjoy that sort of no-cook meal even more in the summer when I don't want to stand near a heat source to cook or don't find hot food appetizing.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
OK, first off, there was no such thing as "Vietnam MRE's." MRE's didn't come out until the 1980's (I was in the Army when they switched from C-Rats to MREs).
Second, the first month my unit was in Haiti for OUD we had only MRE's to eat and it was pretty awful. Even if you are OK with MRE's (and I am), they get old really quick.
It got bad enough that the Battalion surgeon had to start admonishing people to eat. They would put a case of MRE's in the common area in the morning and tell everyone in the FOB to take as many as they wanted. By 4pm most of the MRE's were still there. We were glad when we finally got our cooks set up to cook us real food. (Hell, even T-rats were better than MRE's.)
Third, and most importantly, you're creating a false dichotomy. You're saying that the only alternatives are in the extremes, i.e. either build a full kitchen with a sink, stove top, etc, OR eat MRE's.
But in truth there are an infinite number of options between those two extremes. A simple stove, a couple of pans and a way to carry food are all that are needed. Some people are OK living off of canned food and don't even need a cooler or fridge (though a cold drink at the end of a long, hot day on the road can be like heaven.)
When I camp solo, all of my cooking stuff will fit in a medium sized plastic tote. If we're having a campfire, I use paper plates and throw them in the fire along with napkins.
Finally, I would point out that cooking is about more than just stuffing your face and getting calories. It's a great way to socialize with your friends. Have a pot luck and everybody contribute something. Cook pizza and share with the group. Do zip-loc omelets for breakfast, that kind of thing.
MRE's are good if used for what they are intended for: To put calories into people who need calories, fast, and with minimal preparation.
But as someone who has had his share of MRE's over a 23 year military career, I have to say that if my off road camping trips started resembling military field exercises, I would likely just stay home. :sombrero:

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Good To-Go meals are legitimately good. Not just good for packaged dehydrated backpacking food, good in general. They are preservative free and you can taste that they were made with fresh ingredients.
https://goodto-go.com/

I don't like complicated cooking when camping, but you can do much better than an MRE without any effort

dumprat

Adventurer
^ Very well said Martinjumpr and very true. The Canadian IMP's come with a kimtowel because they are so greasy to meet dietary fat requirements they require industrial *** wipe. Great in am emergency not so great everyday.

My complete kitchent fits into a box 3'x10"x10" pretty easy to make that fit anywhere. The giant elaborate chuck boxes are nice, but also not necessary.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
^ Very well said Martinjumpr and very true. The Canadian IMP's come with a kimtowel because they are so greasy to meet dietary fat requirements they require industrial *** wipe. Great in am emergency not so great everyday.

My complete kitchent fits into a box 3'x10"x10" pretty easy to make that fit anywhere. The giant elaborate chuck boxes are nice, but also not necessary.
I camped with a nice metal chuck box for about 4 years and then realized it was too big, too bulky, and too heavy for what we needed. Replaced it with the plastic totes carrying only what I need. Easy, cheap and light weight.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
i have a jetboil that lives in the truck all the time (in my "oh **** i shouldn't have driven down this road alone and now i'm stuck and will be camping here" bag), and my camp kitchen is just a small plastic tote with a couple nesting pots and fry pan and some cheap utensils and basic seasoning and condiments i've collected from fast food and takeout.

but you don't get that overlanding street credibility without a full pull out gourmet kitchen

MOguy

Explorer
MREs are fine but they can be expensive. I live close to a Military Installation and MREs are sold at the Commissary by the case (slightly different accessory pack that the ones issued). Often people buy them by the case prior to Hunting season, eat one of two and sell the rest for cheap.

There are other options for food that doesn't require refrigeration if that is you goal. You can buy all sorts of canned food that is as good as an MRE that cost a fraction of what an MRE costs. There is a certain coolness with MREs esp for kids. One of the problems with MREs is they create ALLOT of trash.

They are great for kayaking because they are waterproof.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Agree with so many in here about the "get together potluck" socializing benefit...... 100% agree.

MRE is a Generic term these days. Yep. it is also the name for the former C-Rats but NO.. in this discussion, am not talking military MRE at all, but the generic "Ready to Eat meals" that are designed for the average joe blows nutritional needs. Not talking military ones designed for those in military conflict.

side note: as to potluck etc. Usually, have to eat my own stuff, no matter what. If I don't my stomach ends up ruining the adventure for more than just me and that's not fair to others in the group. But again... this discussion is intended to be generalized for everyone to learn something and not about how to fit things around my shortcommings.

another_mike

Adventurer
I like to mix dehydrated meals and cooking (usually with an iron skillet or kebab).

I dont purchase my dehydrated meals, I make them myself. I have an Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator and a vacuum sealer. I can control exactly what goes into each meal, and how big a portion it is. For me in Florida, it doubles as possible disaster prep for a Hurricane... or being a single guy, when im too lazy to get to the store or cook something.

rayra

Expedition Leader
False dichotomy. Lots of choices within the range the OP presents. You need water and fire. Lots of variation in those. And unless you are diabetic, you don't "need" a fridge.

And if the OP is really serious about 'bugout', PLANNING to have groceries that require refrigeration is a fail right from the start.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Personally, I hope to never eat another MRE as long as I live. Not that they taste all that bad, but after 9yrs of fighting fire with USFS Forest Service I've had my fill. :)

Retired Tanker

Explorer
But as someone who has had his share of MRE's over a 23 year military career, I have to say that if my off road camping trips started resembling military field exercises, I would likely just stay home. :sombrero:

21 years here. While I agree that MREs are much better than C-Rats, they would not be my first choice for camp food. Emergency uses, sure. Maybe for the coolness factor.

But they have enough calories to sustain a sedentary human (one who is not lugging 70 pounds of gear for 20 hours a day) for a full day. They have been improved over the years, but they still require the consumer to hydrate profusely.

I, too, have no desire to return to my military roots. Especially with regards to my consumption of MREs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOguy

Explorer
Agree with so many in here about the "get together potluck" socializing benefit...... 100% agree.

MRE is a Generic term these days. Yep. it is also the name for the former C-Rats but NO.. in this discussion, am not talking military MRE at all, but the generic "Ready to Eat meals" that are designed for the average joe blows nutritional needs. Not talking military ones designed for those in military conflict.

side note: as to potluck etc. Usually, have to eat my own stuff, no matter what. If I don't my stomach ends up ruining the adventure for more than just me and that's not fair to others in the group. But again... this discussion is intended to be generalized for everyone to learn something and not about how to fit things around my shortcommings.

MRE is pretty specific. If you want to discuss "ready to eat meals" then say ready to eat meals.

Coachgeo

Explorer
MRE is pretty specific. If you want to discuss "ready to eat meals" then say ready to eat meals.
Term MRE is specific only to those in the military. Everyone else calls them the same thing too though. But so not to confuse the military forlk.... I'll edit my first post.

Ps- thanks to those who served!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke