building the kitchen -vs- forgo that and use MRE's???

MOguy

Explorer
Term MRE is specific only to those in the military. Everyone else calls them the same thing too though. But so not to confuse the military forlk.... I'll edit my first post.

Ps- thanks to those who served!!!

I think the vast majority of people,especially here, know what an MRE is. I think this is a good post, but using the term MRE has kind of restricted the conversation.. I am a wrangler guy and have limited space and always take non perishable food because I really don't have much extra space for a cooler or much of a kitchen. I am interested to see what other non kitchen people do

To me, cooking is part of the camping experience that I sometimes have the best memories while doing. I love cooking for other campers that i dont know also when in a camp site.

That being said can anyone suggest a brand of MREs that taste good? id love to try some.

::Squish::

Observer
I like good food to much to survive on MRE, That said we do keep a stash of backpacking meals
Still have to rehydrate/cook compared to MRE but it's another option, to have around in case we need more food.

I'd keep some MRE on hand if I could find some decent flavored one that don't contain meat.

MOguy

Explorer
I like good food to much to survive on MRE, That said we do keep a stash of backpacking meals
Still have to rehydrate/cook compared to MRE but it's another option, to have around in case we need more food.

I'd keep some MRE on hand if I could find some decent flavored one that don't contain meat.

Here are some meat free MREs on EBAY on. As far as decent flavored? I suppose that depends on how picky you are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vegetarian-menu-14-Mre-meal-ready-to-eat-/172021190262

wagex

Adventurer
dont need a kitchen to cook... you do have a camp fire, weve take a dutch oven made a big pot of ham n beans on the fire, ive taken sticks made them into skewers and roasted chicken quarters slowly over the fire, this next trip were gonna bring a very simple spit and roast a couple whole chickens one of the nights.

though i do bring a 2 burner stove and a full dining set, a pot and a pan. to cook normal meals too.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Having said what I said above, I'll walk it back a little and say that I do agree that sometimes (especially when you are solo), you just want to eat, no socializing or "cooking", just food in the belly. At the end of a long day on the trail with your stomach rumbling you may not be in the mood to make a fire, get out the pots and pans, etc. I totally get that.
For those kinds of "meals", my go-to is usually canned food. I mean, think about it: we're not backpacking (most of us, at least on this board.) We have a vehicle to carry our stuff so the penalty that canned food brings (weight and bulk) aren't really an issue for most of us.
I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only one here who's dined on grocery-store chili or Dinty Moore stew that was heated up on the camp stove and eaten straight out of the can with a plastic spoon. And cleanup couldn't be easier - throw the empty can in and the plastic spoon in the trash bag and you're "cleaned up." ;)

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I'm a big fan of Mountain House. I will generally take along what I call "Add-ins", such as chopped steak/ground beef or other proteins, veggies, cheese cubes, etc. Generally stuff that can be prepped ahead of time, can be packed in baggies, is fairly heat-tolerant and meant to enhance the meal. Just toss it in with the water and let it soak. Whiskey, for example, is an important add-in, but I generally save that to help wash down the meal.

Yes, MartinJumper, I will cook a can of pinto beans right on the grill, but I generally will use a paper plate to eat them, mostly because I also have a steak with them.:)

MOguy

Explorer
dont need a kitchen to cook... you do have a camp fire, weve take a dutch oven made a big pot of ham n beans on the fire, ive taken sticks made them into skewers and roasted chicken quarters slowly over the fire, this next trip were gonna bring a very simple spit and roast a couple whole chickens one of the nights.

though i do bring a 2 burner stove and a full dining set, a pot and a pan. to cook normal meals too.

you will still need refrigeration.

MOguy

Explorer
To me, cooking is part of the camping experience that I sometimes have the best memories while doing. I love cooking for other campers that i dont know also when in a camp site.

That being said can anyone suggest a brand of MREs that taste good? id love to try some.

You are driving a Sammy, you have less space than I do in my Wrangler. What all do you bring for cooking and keeping food?

kmlacroix

Explorer
Having said what I said above, I'll walk it back a little and say that I do agree that sometimes (especially when you are solo), you just want to eat, no socializing or "cooking", just food in the belly. At the end of a long day on the trail with your stomach rumbling you may not be in the mood to make a fire, get out the pots and pans, etc. I totally get that.
For those kinds of "meals", my go-to is usually canned food. I mean, think about it: we're not backpacking (most of us, at least on this board.) We have a vehicle to carry our stuff so the penalty that canned food brings (weight and bulk) aren't really an issue for most of us.
I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only one here who's dined on grocery-store chili or Dinty Moore stew that was heated up on the camp stove and eaten straight out of the can with a plastic spoon. And cleanup couldn't be easier - throw the empty can in and the plastic spoon in the trash bag and you're "cleaned up." ;)

I always have a couple of can of Dinty Moore , Mary Kitchen hash and some gluten free soup.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
not MREs, but suits my use, my food list; and examining my gear says I go too far

• I agree with that; my camping, both in my teens and twenties (and a little into my thirties), was impromptu and packing was in a hurry and incomplete. Often, I/we would stop at a convenience store just before arriving at my/our fishing/hunting/camping destination. The only thing I/we always had was beer (a long time ago, in a different time & space, where it was not socially out-of place). And, I always had SPAM (I've been addicted since the 50's) in my trunk or truck. So, I was reading this thread, mentally constructing my list of camp foods I bring along (I've been 18 months at home, now refilling my depleted/expired larder). Here' what I came up with, that I will surely have ready to go next month for my next trip. And I also reflected what I already have packed, either in my 4x8 squareback camper, or in my 2500 HD Std. cab pickup:
  • camping food list 1.jpg
  • camping non-food list 2.jpg
  • Obviously, packing enough supplies is not my problem, nor finding what I can eat that I like; it's my constantly over -packing for emergencies or situations that it seems I'll never encounter, until I get out there.P.S. I was in my truck box, and forgot to list the two come-a-longs, and multiple pry bars. I'm sure there's more.

Last edited:

kmlacroix

Explorer
Part of the reason I bring "real" food, is I have certain food restrictions. I cannot have Wheat or Barley. I am mostly dairy free, but Lactaid takes care of me on the occasion I do have dairy. I also like to cook and prefer freshly prepared meals. I will sometimes supplement with quality dried stuff. What ever fills your stomach in what ever form you like, bring it.

rayra

Expedition Leader

Exactly. Pair of vise grips or channel locks on the hot can, and a spoon.

/used to piss my sergeant major off to no end when I'd stick an MRE spoon in the pen slot of my breast pocket.

eta
here's a $15 titanium spork to assuage the Overlanding Hipster God
https://www.amazon.com/Light-My-Fire-Titanium-Spork/dp/B001E7S5BO

MOguy

Explorer
Exactly. Pair of vise grips or channel locks on the hot can, and a spoon.

/used to piss my sergeant major off to no end when I'd stick an MRE spoon in the pen slot of my breast pocket.

eta
here's a $15 titanium spork to assuage the Overlanding Hipster God
https://www.amazon.com/Light-My-Fire-Titanium-Spork/dp/B001E7S5BO

As the ex NBC guy (now CBRN) it would not really piss me off but always wonder my people thought it was for a pen. That slot was for a dosimeter incase you ended up in radioactive environment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier