SOLD (Sorry) - 2013 Malayan Tiger, 3500 Chevrolet Duramax

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Under 50,000 miles, excellent condition, Washington, DC, $175,000

A unique opportunity to own a unique vehicle. Extremely well equipped both as a motorhome and as a 4x4. This vehicle incorporates nearly everything that my wife and I have learned in forty years of overland travel in Africa and South America. Great in the US as well!

More about the vehicle here: https://diplostrat.org/about/

More pictures here: http://www.pbase.com/diplostrat/ndeke_luka

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Well, for four or five hours at least! ;-)

But yes, real A/C, no genset.

With new Tigers running six to eighteen months out, this is a great opportunity for someone who wants instant gratification.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
It's been great of you to share your build and the knowledge you have. I hope you're selling to provide us with a new vehicle and future travels that are equally interesting, but regardless, good luck with the sale of this special expedition truck.

Mike

Maninga

Adventurer
One of my favorite vehicles from expo a couple of years ago. Heather and I spent 10-15 minutes chatting to your wife about it, really liked how it felt and the livability.

Is there a new camper in the works?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Denise and I deeply appreciate all of the kind words. We are very proud of our Tiger, it has all the features that we wanted some forty years ago, freezing/sweating our tails off in the back of various Blazers and Troopers!

We have been traveling overland for a long time and will be back to it in the coming years.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Shameless Bump of the day: 4x4 Goodies

Unlike many expedition vehicles, Ndeke Luka was designed to be driven on real Third World roads and tracks. And it doesn't do badly on motorways either.

-- Cognito front lift and steering reinforcement: Increases free wheel travel some 25%, greatly increasing speed, control and driving comfort on washboard or potholed roads. This thing is easy to drive on dirt - no white knuckling.

-- Fox external reservoir shock absorbers to reduce the chance of fade even during extended drives off asphalt.

-- Firestone airbags on the rear axle keep the vehicle off the overload springs, even fully loaded. As a bonus, the Firestone "Extreme" air compressor and pump, with wireless remote control make it easy to adjust air pressure, either in total or side to side, while actually driving. And there is an inflation chuck on each side of the vehicle for reinflating tires should you have to reduce pressure. Naturally, there is plenty of air left over for the horns.

-- Heavy duty rear anti-sway bar increases stability in high speed turns and reduces sway when rock crawling.

-- Nitro Terra Grappler tires, sized 295/70x18E, replacing the factory 265/70x18E. Larger footprint, better flotation, and approximately 1,000 lb. extra capacity.

-- Approximately 60 USG fuel tank. Some of us keep obsessing over the 1,000 km gap in the middle of the Sahara and simply won't have a vehicle that can't do at least that on one tank.

-- Eaton automatic locking rear axle. I prefer a manual locker, but can testify that the G80 works as advertised.

-- Aluminess front bumper with tow hooks. (Only had to use them on other vehicles.) I don't believe in winches but you could mount one if desired.

-- Four Maxtrax sand ladders. (Have used these.) and a shovel.

And probably a few other things that I have missed. ;-)

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
This truck requires ULSD, the availability of which is a challenge. Europe and North Africa are easy; Central America, not so much. This truck has never been outside of the United States.

The options are either a gasoline engine (which, depending on where you are going may require removal of the catalytic converter and the carrying of other spares, like 02 sensors) or a pre-2007 diesel. Effectively deleting the DPF and reprogramming a ULSD engine appears to be just about impossible, if only because none of the manufacturers will tell you what you really need to do.

When I specced the truck I had no plans to travel anywhere I could not get ULSD and I really love the torque of a diesel engine.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
To be fair, there is no comparison between a 2006 CX and a 2013 Malayan - which is why, of course, that Tiger introduced the Malayan.

But I do so wish that the 2013 Chevrolet would take high sulphur diesel fuel. ;-(

draaronr

Adventurer
apples and oranges, yours is far nicer, more powerful and has a far steeper price tag new. His has the kinks and depreciation worked out, and his can go anywhere in the world far easier than anything from 08 and newer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94