"The Hoff" 4x4 144" Low Roof Sprinter Build

BajaVan

Observer
Hello everyone! Rob here again from Van Compass. I'm excited once again to share another personal van build we have going on here at the shop. Many of you have seen my old Pita Van build thread here:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/156854-Pita-Van-4x4-Conversion

I am happy to report that the Pita Van isn't going anywhere. So don't worry there, the Pita Van is likely going to stay in the VC fleet for years to come. However, ever since starting out this little business venture of ours, tinkering on the older T1N vans, we've always received a lot of interest regarding parts for both 2wd and 4wd NCV3 vans. So I decided it was time for me to start looking for a newer van that we could use to develop parts off of. Originally I was on the hunt for an 07-08 144” WB 2wd Dually, but when the opportunity presented itself to pick up a low mileage 4x4 nearby and within my price range, I deiced to bite the bullet and commit to the 4x4. A 2015 Jupiter Red 144” 4x4 low top, now known as “The Hoff”

The main goal for this van was to use it to not only develop more parts for the NCV3 platform, but to also refine and continuously improve the products we had already developed using previous customer's test vehicles.
The first mod to the van was to remove the electronic sliding door step the van was equipped with and install our rocker guards. We needed to come up with a revised “Mid Mount” which would be compatible with vans that had the Auxillary diesel heater, which luckily, the Hoff was equipped with. So we were easily able to design a revised mount to make our rocker guards both easier to install and fit a wider range of vehicles even better.

Next came the fun part, and the main reason behind picking up a 4x4. Ever since coming out with our 2wd Striker 2.0” Lift Kit for 2007-Present Sprinter vans, we received several inquiries regarding lifting a 4wd van. We honestly didn't expect people to want to lift their 4x4's but we were up for the challenge of seeing if we could make this a feasible option. Since we weren't sure if the 2.0” lift would be doable, we didn't feel confident in using a customer's vehicle as the guinea pig. Enter The Hoff.

I think it is safe to say that many of us have drooled over the Iglhaut Allrad vans sitting on 35” tires and wished we had that option here. Well now that we had a factory 4x4 to run wild with, I desperately wanted to make that option a reality. We only needed to develop a handful of new components to lift the 4wd vans 2” as many of the lift kit pieces are shared with the 2wd vans. The components we needed to address which differed from the 2wd lift were the following:

• Transmission mount lift bracket
• Rear sway bar end links
• Rear U-bolts
• Rear add-a-leaf pack (instead of an additional lift block)

You can see here the transmission mount bracket used to keep the drive train in the original location.

I'll throw up some detailed photos of the installed lift kit in a few. But here's a few overall shots of the van.

The lift kit does put an angle on the front driveshaft but it is equal at both ends of the driveshaft so there is no induced vibration. That was our main concern with lifting these 4wd vans. 2k miles later the front shaft is not showing any premature signs of wear. Suspension geometry is retained and there is no added angle to CVs or control arms.

The rear is lifted using a new 5 leaf add-a-leaf pack which allows us to not only fine tune ride height, but to also increase the spring rate for heavier built out vans. Combined with longer sway bar links, new U-bolts, lower shock mount extension brackets, and bump stop extension brackets, the rear is very straight forward and nearly identical to our lift kit for the 2wd vans.

The van rides and drives so nice. Much better than stock. The van has no problem turning the 35” tires and the RPM drop at freeway speeds is fantastic. We went with 315/75/16 General AT2 tires mounted on the stock wheels paired with an Agile Offroad 14mm wheel spacer to clear the strut up front. The van only lost maybe 1 mpg on average, truthfully I don't think it even dropped that much.

The rear required no trimming at all to clear the tire. The front did require some trimming of the plastic inner fender liners, front bumper and some slight cutting at the rear of the front fender. All in all though, very minor for a heck of a lot more ground clearance and a really ************** look. I'm a little bias though :D I'll throw up some photos showcasing the trimming in a few.

After the van was lifted, we adapted our skid plate system to it with the addition of a new steel front “bash plate” which was designed to work with the 2” lift. At the same time, we fitted our heavy duty front hitch which we were finally able to bring into production since we had the Hoff to develop off of.

We've been making our rocker guards for a while now. We've had several requests for a side ladder to work in conjunction with the rockers. So we used the Hoff to design an aluminum bolt together high clearance side ladder which used the rocker as the first step of the ladder for no loss of ground clearance.

-Rob

Last edited:

BajaVan

Observer
We are awfully busy developing and making all the suspension and armor for these vans so I don't have much free time to work on the interior. But every now and then on the weekends and after hours, I get to put some hours in on building the interior. Being that The Hoff is a low roof and I can't really stand up in the van outright, I decided to not dedicate the interior build into a full blown camper. I decided instead to build the interior to be more of a dedicated chase / pit support vehicle.

I've been off road racing for years. Truthfully though, I think I get more enjoyment out of helping my friends race than actually racing myself. There's just something more fulfilling to me about pitting and chasing than actually racing. Probably because it is a lot cheaper to pit for someone than to actually race haha. So the dollar to fun factor is much higher. With this in mind, I plan to build the Hoff into a really nice chase / support vehicle. Something that could be driven to the middle of nowhere in Baja or any remote pit location for stateside races and just set up camp and wait for the race car to show up. So that means the interior needs to have a modular layout to be able to carry multiple people, or parts, or tools etc.

I started with sound deadening and insulating the van. I laid down some ducting insulation which I sourced from home depot. I used Frost King foam & foil duct insulation.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/HVAC-INSULATION/DUCT/foam-foil-duct-insulation-1-ftx18x15-ft?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CPrlwMDc-dICFYNGXgodd9YKSQ

After that, I went to town with denim insulation. I used very thick denim for the lower portions of the van. For the upper half, I used several layers of bonded logic and glued it in place since it was relatively light and featured an additional foil layer to help with insulating / cooling. The floor also got a full coating of foam / foil ducting insulation and a full covering of bonded logic.

I retained the original wood floor on top of the insulation and ordered up the pre cut rubber floor mat from American Vans.

https://www.americanvan.com/cargo-area-van-mat-for-chevy-gmc-vans-4370.html

With the floors and walls mostly handled, I started mounting some Mac's Tracks on the walls so I could use my bed. Awhile back I picked up a Cave Van Hammock bed for the Pita Van. Well, the beauty of the Hammock bed is it can easily be switched to another vehicle or just rolled up and strung up between two trees.

https://shop.cavevan.com/collections/sprinter-promaster-transit/products/van-hammock

With the Mac's Tracks up, I could start paneling the walls. I used laminate flooring with a maple pattern / design to correlate with the tool box top which will be used as the galley. I decided that since I don't have a lot of carpentry experience, nor do I have a lot of time to dedicate to the interior build that I was just gonna install a tool box and modify it into a basic kitchen galley. I picked up this Husky toolbox which will be installed behind the driver seat and made to work as a very basic galley. The maple top matches the laminate flooring nicely.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-5-Drawer-and-1-Door-Stainless-Steel-Mobile-Workbench-HOTC4605J0AD/205489698

Photo of one wall almost done and the start of my fender well toolbox.

I'm slowly building some fender well tool boxes for each side. The driver side will be much longer and lower. I'd like to incorporate some form of snow board storage for the driver side box.

Hoping to get the seat mounted in it's final spot this weekend.

Timjim

Observer
Drool........

Excellent work. I have a feeling you are gonna be pretty busy when folks find out you can get 35" tires on a Sprinter 4x4

Last edited:

BajaVan

Observer
Drool........

Excellent work. I have a feeling you are gonna be pretty busy when folks find out you can get 35" tires on a Sprinter 4x4

Haha, Thanks. Yeah, I too think there are a lot of people out there that would like 35s on their Sprinter. They just look so right with a lift and 35s on them.

And just for fun, here's a couple images of the Hoff out in the desert doing what he is built to do. We chased all over the place pitting for a couple buddies out in Johnson Valley racing KOH 2017. Logged a ton of dirt miles on that trip and the Hoff was an absolute joy as a chase and camp vehicle.

Here's something kinda cool and different too. My good friend from college made this really nice collapsible hammock mount for a hitch. After tinkering on it for years and refining the design, he is finally going to bring it to market.

I'm hoping to pick one up from his first production run and have it on display out at Overland Expo West. There should be some information about it on his website soon. https://www.mcleanmetalworksmfg.com/

mgmetalworks

Explorer
How does the van's electronics do with this lift/larger tire? Are you able to change the tire size with the Star/Xentry tool (or any number of other ways)? Any ESP weirdness? I'm curious how sensitive the Sprinter's system is compared to other Mercedes models.

BajaVan

Observer
Zero computer / electronics issues. ESP / ABS is unaffected. I haven't explored speedometer / tire size re-calibration but I may be working with a company down in LA called OE tuning to get a tune on this thing and see if they can change the tire size so the speedo is correct.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
You've made the lift look so easy, well done.

And I have inquired about the hammock mount too.

shouldbeasy

Observer
Can't wait for my parts! Extremely happy to see that you've fit 35" tires on this rig without much hassle as it is my plan as well - I have a set of BFG AT KO's in a 315/70R17 so why not use them!

I'm definitely keeping tabs on this thread! (that being said, I need to update my own...)

BajaVan

Observer
How are these rigs on the highway in the mountains? Plenty of power to get up steep grades?

I wish they had a little more power. 25-50 more hp / tq would be nice. Even before the big tires, I wish it had a little more "umpf" for long uphill pulls. I may be getting a tune for it shortly as I plan to use this thing to tow a single vehicle car trailer.

How did you come up with the name "HOFF" for your great build !!!!!
Choff

Cause when the Hoff was in his prime during his Baywatch and Night Rider days, he was larger than life. Seemed kinda fitting for a big red van. I honestly though of wrapping this thing in a Baywatch themed Van Compass motif.

You've made the lift look so easy, well done.

And I have inquired about the hammock mount too.

Thanks! I'm curious to see where Chris is at with the hammock mount too. I'll follow up with him this week and report back.

Can't wait for my parts! Extremely happy to see that you've fit 35" tires on this rig without much hassle as it is my plan as well - I have a set of BFG AT KO's in a 315/70R17 so why not use them!

I'm definitely keeping tabs on this thread! (that being said, I need to update my own...)

:beer: The 35s are just kinda perfect with the 2" lift. I'm excited to sign off on the kit soon and get the first production run going.

shouldbeasy

Observer
I wish they had a little more power. 25-50 more hp / tq would be nice. Even before the big tires, I wish it had a little more "umpf" for long uphill pulls. I may be getting a tune for it shortly as I plan to use this thing to tow a single vehicle car trailer.

Good info to know! I am also planning on towing a small car on a dolly with the Sprinter so I'm interested to see what you do for a tune too!

:beer: The 35s are just kinda perfect with the 2" lift. I'm excited to sign off on the kit soon and get the first production run going.

I agree! The tires look very proportional with the vehicle. I've been dealing with Mark at Van Compass and he thinks bumpers are a little ways off... What do you think? Are they 'high' on your hit list for this van?
A rear bumper that provides actual protection is key!

BajaVan

Observer
Good info to know! I am also planning on towing a small car on a dolly with the Sprinter so I'm interested to see what you do for a tune too!

I agree! The tires look very proportional with the vehicle. I've been dealing with Mark at Van Compass and he thinks bumpers are a little ways off... What do you think? Are they 'high' on your hit list for this van?
A rear bumper that provides actual protection is key!

Unfortunately full bumpers for this platform are still a ways off for us. We are still just a two man operation and nice bumpers are one of the more in depth items to develop and mfg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94