Modifying Awning Mounts? Help me, ExPo engineers.

jhberria

Adventurer
So I've been using these Fourtreks awning mounts to secure my ARB awning to the Xterra roof rail. My problem is that, when mounted, the awning being this close to the roof rack prevents me from mounting my Yakima cross bars. I mount my RTT, kayak, and the lifeless bodies of my enemies to the Yakima cross bars.....so I have a problem.

Now, looking at this mounting system, does anyone have a suggestion on a way to effectively "extend" the awning another inch away from the roof rack in order to allow me to fit the mounting fastener for the Yakima bars between the awning and roof rack? Much obliged.

colorado matt

Adventurer
ok I would say 1 ich square aluminum stock ... drilled and 1 inch longer T- bolts or whatever you call the mount to awning bolt that appears to side into the awning track ... I think that would do the trick .... Matt

E.J.

Explorer
large_25663_ARB-OS850-Awning-Bracket.jpg

https://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=25663
Not a solution for modding your Fortreks mounts but these mounts work pretty well with a couple of Yakima snap round mounts on Yak cross bars.

jhberria

Adventurer
large_25663_ARB-OS850-Awning-Bracket.jpg

https://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=25663
Not a solution for modding your Fortreks mounts but these mounts work pretty well with a couple of Yakima snap round mounts on Yak cross bars.

Hmmmm do you have a picture showing what you're talking about? I apologize, but I'm a visual learner. I also don't read very well. This looks like an interesting solution, although it would mean I blew some money on the fourtreks mounts (not cheap).

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
My RTT came with some stainless L brackets. Why not rotate your Fortrek mounts 90 degrees, and do something similar?

Not the best pics, but you can see how it's mounted. I used muffler clamps since I didn't want to wait for the Fortrek's to take weeks to come into Canada, but the same process could be easily done on the Fourtreks

wayEpos.jpg

nXVSbRd.jpg

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
ok I would say 1 ich square aluminum stock ... drilled and 1 inch longer T- bolts or whatever you call the mount to awning bolt that appears to side into the awning track ... I think that would do the trick .... Matt

This is going to be the easiest and cheapest solution given what you have in place already.

ray=out

I agree with this. Should be straight forward; 1" block with holes in it and longer bolts. The spacer could be made of solid or square tube aluminum/steel.

Untitled.jpg

E.J.

Explorer
Hmmmm do you have a picture showing what you're talking about? I apologize, but I'm a visual learner. I also don't read very well. This looks like an interesting solution, although it would mean I blew some money on the fourtreks mounts (not cheap).

IMG_20170329_125310797.jpg

Here you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94