F 450 4x4 Ambulance Build

zuke

Adventurer
There's an ambulance camper in Girdwood, Alaska that had a hangboard mounted directly above the back doors. If I can figure out how to cleanly remove my back light bar, I'm mounting mine up there as well.

Just so I can add to peoples confusion when they see an ambulance parked somewhere. This way there will be a random guy working out, hanging from the back of it.

That would definitely get some doubletakes as people walked by!

zuke

Adventurer
Maybe not, but some days I feel like it. At 63 y/o, and 35 years in the Fire Service, my lower back is shot!

View attachment 401311

At times, just going to the mail box and back can be a challenge.

LOL! Love that sign...

I guess being a computer engineer and very occasional volunteer firefighter has had it's advantages in wear and tear on the ole' body...

Quick update.

The ambulance has been performing great, and has been treating us nice on our climbing trips. It draws a ton of attention at trailheads and campsites, which is a blessing and a curse of course.

I decided my EGTs were too high, so I made the impulse decision to straight pipe it. With the 7.3, its now crazy loud. Ill be looking for a better muffler to quiet it down here soon, as Im not usually one to have an exhaust that wakes up the neighborhood.
7HL2PWr.jpg

Unfortunately, after a work trip the other day, the rig wouldnt start. Had a truck full of clients, and had to get out a brass hammer and whack the starter. Started right up, half of them thought I was a wizard. Dropped them off and drove it straight home, where it sits until I can throw a new starter in. Was thinking ill go with an aftermarket high torque unit, as Ive heard dubious things about the OEM remans.

On a side note. Yesterday, I had the great pleasure of meeting some fellow ambulance adventurers in a campsite in South Lake Tahoe. Their rig is amazing, and they definitely gave me some ideas and goals. If you see them around, stop in and say hello, and maybe buy them a beer if youre feeling generous.
kWSw5Dy.jpg

Deshet

Adventurer
Is the receiver custom? Is just a stand receiver with an extension? Have you towed much weight yet?

Thanks,

Is the receiver custom? Is just a stand receiver with an extension? Have you towed much weight yet?

Thanks,

The previous owner had the hitch receiver installed by a local fabricator shop. The receiver is all one piece, not a regular receiver with an extension welded on. So he found someone to custom make him a long one. Its definitely beefy, but I havent towed anything with it yet. Ill be towing my Land Cruiser up to Alaska here soon, so I can give you an update on that in the future.
I really want to cut the bottom aluminum step off, to improve my break over angle any way I can. Unfortunately, the receiver goes right through the middle of that section, and would continue to stick out just as far as the aluminum step did. Considering getting a hold of a torch, cutting it off, and welding it back in shorter. Just dont know how much that would compromise its integrity.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
FYI, removing the muffler does very little, if anything, to EGTs.

Better down-pipe and Cat-delete make a big difference.

FYI, removing the muffler does very little, if anything, to EGTs.

Better down-pipe and Cat-delete make a big difference.

It came from the factory without a cat thankfully.

Whether it's done anything to the EGTs, I can't say because I haven't measured. I was going off experiences provided by other folks on forums. If you can't trust random internet strangers, then who can you trust?

Anyone have any tips on getting the lightbars off?

I got everything ready to take them off today, only to realize that the bolts that hold them on have nuts on the back side. Naturally these nuts are directly behind my rear heat/AC unit, and all the wiring. There is absolutely no way I will be able to get to them with everything back there. The bolts will just continue to spin until I can get something on there to keep the nut in place.

Anyone have any ideas, other than tearing out the entire front half of my cabin to get to them?

patoz

Expedition Leader
A lot of people just leave those brackets and mount a shelf or basket on there to carry small stuff. You can't load them up with a lot of weight, but they should hold 20 - 30 lbs. distributed across both of them.

The only way I can think of to remove them without doing any damage to anything is to grind the bolt heads off, if you have room to get a small grinding wheel in there. I would NOT just start ripping things loose as some have done, and there is a market for any of the emergency equipment that can be salvaged.

Well the front light bar is off. The brackets remain on for now. Until I can get the bolts off that is.
tsPSrdj.jpg

The rear remains on for now. I have two of the bolts off, and now the search for the other two begins.
rWLV3Lb.jpg

Okay, so its been a little while since I have updated this thread.

I leave for a trip up to Alaska in less then a week. Once I get there I will be going full time in the ambulance until it gets too cold to do so. Ive been working on mostly mechanical issues here and there, preparing the truck for the trip.

I also decided very last minute, to change the layout of my bed design. I spent some time in the back, and decided I would rather have the bed permanently set up, running width ways across the back doors. This meant removing / attempting to remove the cabinets from the back corners, and adding a bed platform in the back. In the future the platform will have pull out drawers underneath, that can be accessed by the back doors. Considering I decided to begin ripping things out of the back, a week before I leave, I have left the bed up for the time being in hopes of having it functional if I cant finish the platform build in time. I know its been said before, but damn these things are built solid. It took me an entire day, just to get the wood portion off the back right cabinet, leaving the welded diamond plate to be tackled another day. I am extremely limited by my inability to work on cars in my apartment complex parking lot, so that is killing productivity.

DsC7S3T.jpg

All the lights have been removed / whited out with plastidip that can hopefully be cleanly removed if I want to.

RZ6QTxn.jpg

qjcKY8E.jpg

EKidz5K.jpg

From the looks of it, the insulation is a little on the sparse side, but it is cotton material instead of fiberglass. I may beef it up while I have access to these areas.

xtlM6nG.jpg

The yellow crowbar was the ultimate champion in the fight against this cabinet, as I was only able to use power tools sparingly to avoid drawing the landlords attention.

Ill keep working away at it, and then Ill be on my way North starting Sunday. Ill be stopping along the way to climb in Oregon, Washington, BC, and Central Alaska.

Paddy

Adventurer
During one of my camper builds I actually drove to the local ace hardware and worked on it in their parking lot. It was great because with my inverter and battery system I could power any tools, and with ace there, I had all the supplies I could ask for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94