2018 JL without the camo...

Alphonse

Observer
I'm not a fan of the longer JL hood which I think means longer wheelbase. That post mentioned longer trunk which means longer rear overhang. The front bumper sticks way out but we know we can fix that easy enough.

Now a 2 door with slightly longer wheelbase and more trunk room sounds really good! Meanwhile the 4 door looks to be moving closer to becoming the minivan the Jeep purists always said it was lol...

What I haven't seen much discussion about is that from what I can tell in other spy photos the JL will be using the Chrysler 9.5" rear axle. The current JK rear axle uses a 8.9" ring gear and a Dana 60 is like 9.75", so the JL will practically have a Dana 60 rear axle. That's the only thing I am interested in... and maybe jealous of... on the JL so far is the 9.5" rear ring gear. Maybe I can swap that JL rear into my JK on the cheap, lol

daveh

Adventurer
Other sources have speculated that the heavier duty Dana 44 now available on the Rubicon recon will be the standard front axle on the JL Rubicon. That would be nice to have heavier duty front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I'm not a fan of the longer JL hood which I think means longer wheelbase. That post mentioned longer trunk which means longer rear overhang. The front bumper sticks way out but we know we can fix that easy enough.

Now a 2 door with slightly longer wheelbase and more trunk room sounds really good! Meanwhile the 4 door looks to be moving closer to becoming the minivan the Jeep purists always said it was lol...

What I haven't seen much discussion about is that from what I can tell in other spy photos the JL will be using the Chrysler 9.5" rear axle. The current JK rear axle uses a 8.9" ring gear and a Dana 60 is like 9.75", so the JL will practically have a Dana 60 rear axle. That's the only thing I am interested in... and maybe jealous of... on the JL so far is the 9.5" rear ring gear. Maybe I can swap that JL rear into my JK on the cheap, lol

personally, not a jeep guy and not here to step on toes, but if you look at a good amount of jeeps on the road, sure they're lifted and have serious rims and tires but they aren't being used as much more than a minivan- so I wouldn't be surprised if the wheelbase got stretched to make it more friendly to the majority of the current buyers, and possibly to allow it to share a frame with the jeep pickup (later down the line I believe, but not 100% on when it's supposed to happen)

Alphonse

Observer
FYI, I made a mistake I meant 9.25" not 9.5", lol. FYI here's a pic of the rear axle from earlier spy shots. It's got 12 Bolts instead of the Dana 44's 10 Bolts...

And here's a pic of a Chrysler 9.25" from under a dodge truck...

Not identical but more similar to a 9.25 than to the current Dana 44

Last edited:

AZJim

Observer
The wheelbase/ or overall length is longer on the JL to allow room for the 8 speed automatic.
The majority of buyers of all brands of 4x4s show boat more than off road. Look at all the lifted big tired pick ups that never see dirt.
The up side is more aftermarket equipment is available for the people that truly need and use them.

Jim

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Blah blah

wrangler-2018-front_mangotagged.jpg

https://blog.extremeterrain.com/201...m=social&utm_content=fbpostblogT5_Var3=yellow

I won't need a new Wrangler for at least 6 years. By then the diesel will be getting 40mpg and will tow 10,000 pounds.
I'm good.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Looks great!
8 speed transmission. Possibly more engine options, slightly longer 2 door model, more slope to the windshield, more axle "beef".
I can see a lot of happy JL(U) owners. :beer:

Bobzdar

Observer
If it can tow at least 5000lbs I'll be ordering one as soon as they allow it. I would already have a 4 door JKU if it could tow anything, but the 8 speed and 3.5 v6 combo is really good - I easily towed a 5000lb camper with my Mom's 2015 GW with that combo and it was better than my 1/2 ton v8 truck due to double the number of gears. It was always in the sweet spot for towing and had plenty of power. I was going to wait for the truck but it's another year away so if this can tow, I'll order one and then trade it in in a year or two on a JL truck.

If not, I'll probably keep the truck and my YJ and get some kind of sedan for family duty and see what the truck can do when it comes out.

eternus

Observer
I won't need a new Wrangler for at least 6 years. By then the diesel will be getting 40mpg and will tow 10,000 pounds.
I'm good.

I probably won't need a new one for even longer than that, but am eager to see how the drive train evolves as well. Not interested in a 10k tow capacity... but I am curious to see what the diesel and the electric hybrids they've hinted at will be like. I'd love to see a 500 mile range! (c:

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I've always wanted a two door Rubicon to go with my Power Wagon, but at 6'8'' I just don't fit. Maybe a slightly longer two door would give me the leg room I need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles