LR3/4 Sway Bar disconnects

Okay, this might blow up good or bad, but I'm going to ask anyway because the "Search" did not find my answer.

Toyota guys are running a lot of sway bar disconnects with good results. Some great, some average, and some show no difference, but either way, the topic is worth discussion with an adjustable suspension (EAS) or lift springs, spacers.

Almost every suspension lift I have experienced in my lifetime recommended longer sway bar links due to increased stretch on links, bushings, in a lifted configuration with stock length links. I am assuming that LR figured this into the EAS system as a plus or minus in performance. I understand the sway bar for the road, so I am going to ask we not get into this theory as it makes sense to me completely.

However, is there a potential increase in articulation and suspension stresses reduced with front links removed/disconnected on IFS LRs while off-road? Again, the Tacoma guys are running them and notice good results in the front wheels during off-road conditions. The theory is it completely isolates each wheel from each other with no sway bar force from one side to the other. This, of course, will not matter if one wheel is off the ground at max travel. However, it does matter when both are on the ground, and one is completely compressed as it does transfer to the other side via the sway bar.

I've also see disconnects on some special operations IFS vehicles, so there is a concept there that someone thinks is valid. Limit straps can be an option for the maximum droop angles if completely unloaded.

I could be wrong on this, so I am opening up for dialogue.

Anyone running coils or bigger lift on an LR3/4 that cares to chime in I would like to hear your thoughts.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
For a little while, as an experiment, I removed the sway bars altogether from my LR3, made virtually no difference in amount of articulation in the front, pretty minor improvement in the rear. Caveat: I was a coil springer LR3, not an air ride.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Short answer
I cut the sways out.

I keep snapping the sway bar links. Then they would bend the hight sensor brackets causing a tremendous about of griff. IF you think there is any demand I am sure we could get disconnects made. They would help the on road manners for sure.

zelatore

Explorer
I've broken a couple of front links as well, though not in a while. I've never tried running with them fully removed and can't say what the actual effect was one way or the other.

morrisdl

Adventurer
I cut my rear out. Seems to be very minor improvement offroad, but I noticed it also suffers a little on twisty roads. Feel like TWO spares on the roof now. Wife didn't notice any difference.

PatriotLandyTX

Okay, going to dig up an old thread here, but did any of you trail-blazers ever fit sway bar disconnects to an LR3 or lr4?

Attachments

• 29D0C60A-367B-4A51-B4C9-C1E0BE30152F.jpeg
    29D0C60A-367B-4A51-B4C9-C1E0BE30152F.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Nope, I never did. I removed both, but ultimately left out the front swaybar and reinstalled the rear, but never attempted disconnects.

Last edited:

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Sooo, Out of Curiosity and Am I reading this correct, I would be okay to remove my Front Sway bars? No down side or potential damage from over Flexing? My Links are all mangled and to be honest I done feel like replacing them. I use to drive a TJ without front Links and never felt bad about it, and both my Series 1 Discos had them removed too.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I cannot offer any first hand advice, mine was a springer, and didn't have air suspension. The air suspension system has more down travel than my springer did, but potentially, the air shock could suffer damage easier with excessive downward travel. I would advocate to use limit straps from lower control arm to the frame if you want to go wheeling without the sway bar on the front. Right now, you say your links are trashed, well, they are a cheap fuse in the assembly compared to an air shock.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Right now, you say your links are trashed, well, they are a cheap fuse in the assembly compared to an air shock.
Yeah Just noted that they are only $16 bucks a my Amazon Auto parts store so I guess Ill just order new ones.

morrisdl

Adventurer
I removed my rear sway bay years ago and have never regretted it.
Overall a little better flex from the rear sway bar removal, but reducing my 'lift' from +2" down to +1" made way bigger improvements in keeping all the wheels on the ground.
Need to hire a new photog but you get the idea:

Attachments

• IMG_9486.jpg
    IMG_9486.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior