inexpensive 12v tire inflator

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Since I'm just dreaming about the next off roader at the moment, would one of these little guys be able to blow the leaves and crud out of the trunk and hood crevices, and the goldfish crumbs out of my daughter's car seat? I wouldn't be running anything like the 10 minutes straight you're talking about for big tires, just a couple blasts to keep things tidy.

Its unlikely; that takes, relatively speaking, a lot of cubic feet of air which tiny compressors aren't good at. A surge tank might help but then the concept of portable, tiny, inexpensive and reliable (especially for electric H/F stuff) tends to go away... I would just fire up the old shopvac , or stop and feed some money into a vacuum station. (In my experience vacuuming takes away the debris blowing, mostly, just rearranges them).

X2 on the converted AC compressor...

I've been keeping a little vair 88p in the truck, but will be stepping up to larger/dual compressors that are more permanently fixed sometime this year.

DailyExpedition

I bought a little air inflator by Husky from Home Depot for $25 bucks. I’ve used it once and it’s small, quiet, and works pretty fast. It’s about the same size of the vair 88p and it has a two year warranty if I remember right. I was going to go with something else but since it’s Home Depot and those are everywhere, I figure if I needed support or have to buy another for whatever reason I would have no problem. Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67cj5

Man On a Mission
About 6 months ago I bought a twin Cylinder Britpart 12v Compressor and it is fast, It puts out 150L and goes up to 150psi they claim but I know it will go up to 185psi, It takes my road Tyres from 15psi to 43 psi in 2 minutes and in 2m 30secs it will take it from 15psi to 56psi. and has a 50% Duty cycle, It is an Awesome piece of kit.

A couple of days ago I also ordered the ARB High Output Portable Compressor, And it is about as perfect as a compressor can be. It took my road tyres from 15-to 43psi took only 2 minutes but seeing as I run them at 32psi it will do them in about 1 minute and 3 seconds, My off road tyres are a fair bit bigger and it will put them at 32 psi in about a minute and a half, The build quality of the ARB is first class in every way.

I am now using the Britpart Compressor as my everyday comp and the ARB for when I go Bush.

steelhd

Observer
MV50
MF-1050
Tsunami

All the same and a great value for the guy with needs 12 or less times a year.

If a 12v compressor plugs into a 12 volt outlet its a POS
^ That right there. Anything that connects to the battery with alligator clamps is head and shoulders better than something that uses a power port/cigarette lighter connection. I've been using a MV50 (Mf 1050 - Tsunami) for 2 years regularly airing my play Jeep's 35" tires from ~10 to 25 psi without a hitch. I suspect that I'm a "power user" for that compressor though and it won't last forever. But for the average "overlander" it should last for many years.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I forgot to add that I still have one of those Interdynamics TruckAir 275's still in its box and before I ordered the ARB High Output I tried to use it to blow up one tyre from 0 to 50psi and it took 15 minute, Man that was painful to watch, My Twin piston Compressor and my New ARB are very fast and what they do in 2 and a half minutes the TruckAir does it in 12 minutes, But I bought it back in March 2003 and back then it was the Boss of all Compressors, makes me wonder how on earth we managed before these new ones came out, Even the New Cheap Compressors and way way faster than the TruckAir 275, LOL

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
^ That right there. Anything that connects to the battery with alligator clamps is head and shoulders better than something that uses a power port/cigarette lighter connection. I've been using a MV50 (Mf 1050 - Tsunami) for 2 years regularly airing my play Jeep's 35" tires from ~10 to 25 psi without a hitch. I suspect that I'm a "power user" for that compressor though and it won't last forever. But for the average "overlander" it should last for many years.

Once upon a time about the only portable compressors available had cigarette lighter plugs; Got my first "good" one (Coleman inflate-all 125) about 1977... because at that time many cars came with uninflated "U-Blow-it-up" spare tires and a can of compressed gas (as I recall the replacement cost for the can was around $10). It didn't take long to replace the cigarette light plug with battery clamps...

...still have that compressor and it still works; in semi-retirement due to the Masterflow 1050 and ARB pumps..

In the far past bicycle pumps, and sparkplug hole "Chuffers" were used to inflate tires...So electric cigarette lighter powered pumps were great.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Viair , dont remember the size but works great
Yeah I was checking them out but for some reason they wanted more for one of them than they did for the ARB Portable, Not knowing much about Viair I went with ARB because I have known the brand for over 30 years.

steelhd

Observer
Once upon a time about the only portable compressors available had cigarette lighter plugs;
Yep. Bought my first cigarette plug compressor around 1980. But a cigarette plug/power port just can't push the amps like hard wiring or alligator clamps.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Now note that each compressor has a Duty Cycle! Example; This means that if a tire takes 4 minutes to get to the required pressure you have a 50% duty cycle then you need to wait 4 minutes for it to cool.
4 tires X 4 minutes each = 16 minutes run time.
4 minutes cooling time between tires (we will skip the last cooling time while you burn your fingers putting it away). 4 minutes cooling time X 3 cooling periods = 12 minutes

Total filling time 16 + 12 = 28 minutes

When people have the cheap compressors that have a very low duty cycle. You can stretch this out to 1 hour or more to fill 4 tires.
:

No that is not correct, If a Compressor has a 50% Duty Cycle, Means it can run for 30 minutes "On" and then Needs 30 Minutes "Off"

The Duty cycle is a continuous run time and is worked out from a percentage of minutes from a 60 minute period Per Hour, So 50% = 30 0n/ 30 off, And a 25% Duty cycle is 15 minutes "ON" 45 minutes "Off" and a 30% Duty cycle means 18 "On" , 42 minutes "Off" etc etc.

If you ran it for 4 minutes and had to rest it means it would have a 6.66% Duty Cycle,,, 100% divided by 60 = 1.66r X 4 minutes = 6.66%.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Hi Rezarf <>
I see that you removed the plastic covers round the cylinders. This may improve the cooling.... if the intake air was not being used to pull air around the cylinders for cooling. I have not pulled one apart to check what is under the plastic cylinder covers.

I would like to share some experience and general information with everyone. I am sure some of you already know this but think of this a refresher.

All air compressors get hot, the higher the compression the hotter they get. If it dose not get hot it is not compressing air.

Installing a air tank, positive and negatives;
First the bigger the tire the more air it requires to fill it. By putting a air tank you can; Add to the cubic feet of air required to reach the pressure you want. This requires additional time to reach this pressure. This can be offset if you have a pressure regulator switch wired into the system and it fills while the vehicle is being driven and the tank is filled when you start the filling of the tires. This can be also done by a inside switch that you turn on before you stop giving you a tank with compressed air to begin with. This also requires a pressure relief valve for safety. This will give you a extra shot of air at first. When the tank balances out with the pressure in the tire. Then you have the tank space you have added to the cubic feet of air in the tire, required to get the tire up to the desired pressure. This now takes longer to reach the desired pressure, because of the tank. Depending on the size of the tank, size of the tire and cubic feet of the compressor(s), this will vary the time.

Having a tank can allow you to turn on the compressor and run it while you check your pressure or move between tires. This gives you a little shot of extra air when you first connect the air chuck.

Having the tank takes up space and adds weight and additional plumbing requirements. Yes, I know people use bumpers, roll bars and more to be air tanks. It can be done but if not done correctly it can become a bomb.

Having the extra shot of air is good for seating the bead of a tire.

Now note that each compressor has a Duty Cycle! Example; This means that if a tire takes 4 minutes to get to the required pressure you have a 50% duty cycle then you need to wait 4 minutes for it to cool.
4 tires X 4 minutes each = 16 minutes run time.
4 minutes cooling time between tires (we will skip the last cooling time while you burn your fingers putting it away). 4 minutes cooling time X 3 cooling periods = 12 minutes

Total filling time 16 + 12 = 28 minutes

When people have the cheap compressors that have a very low duty cycle. You can stretch this out to 1 hour or more to fill 4 tires.

Now the people who fill a set of 4 tires with no cooling period between tires you will burn up the compressors. That is why people do not have good luck with cheap compressors. Yes, there are bad compressor made and it may be that you did nothing wrong, it was a piece of "Junk".

You need to have the “correct tool for the job”. Example; You would not want to have a 16 ounce ball-peen hammer and a splitting wedge to split a log. I splitting maul would be better (in my opinion), but I could be wrong also.

Disclaimer; Do not try any of this at home without proper supervision and training. Doing so you may hurt yourself and/or people around you or you may just look stupid.:Wow1:

50% duty cycle means 30mins on and 30mins cool down before you can run it for another 30mins. You don't need to cool off after each tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67cj5

Man On a Mission
This is for real motors what have engineering documents to support.
Who knows how these Tinkertoy tyre inflator DC motors are rated. Full load ? No load?? Throwing a curve in the mix, loading changes as pressure increase.
Probably best bet is good judgement not letting it get too hot, never mind how long its actually run per hour.
Air Compressors have to have a rated Duty Cycle as do Welders and many other Tools we use, But the Duty Cycle is based on a "Time On" "Time Off" bases regardless of the type of tool,

This explains it in brief, https://www.truckspring.com/blog/post/2015/09/25/what-is-compressor-duty-cycle

MOguy

Explorer
Yep. Bought my first cigarette plug compressor around 1980. But a cigarette plug/power port just can't push the amps like hard wiring or alligator clamps.

I have a question about newer car "power ports" vs older car cigarette lighters? Can "power ports" handle the draw of a 12V pump/compressor like the older car cigarette lighters?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have a question about newer car "power ports" vs older car cigarette lighters? Can "power ports" handle the draw of a 12V pump/compressor like the older car cigarette lighters?

Max rating I have seen on a 12v power outlet is 15A aftermarket or factory.

Again any 12v compressor that plugs in to a 12v outlet is a POS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior