inexpensive 12v tire inflator

steelhd

Observer
I finally ordered a Viair 400P so my trusty old MV50/MF1050 will soon be retiring after six years of solid service. The MV50/MF1050 easily airs up four 35x12.5 tires from 10 to 25 lbs its painfully slow compared to everything used by the rest of my wheeling group. The Viair will still be slower, just not painfully slower. :)

steelhd

Observer
Dewalt has a relatively new inflator that runs on 12V, 110V, 20V Max batteries, and lists at $99. Probably also runs on FlexVolt batteries. I might get one as a backup to my Warn SP-I OBA and move the Viair 300P to a different vehicle.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/gea.../20v-max-cordedcordless-air-inflator/dcc020ib
I'd be suspicious of that one. No mention whatsoever about duty cycle, CFM, etc on their page. And with a cigarette lighter/power port plug it is a low amp tool that won't be able to move very much air.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I'd be suspicious of that one. No mention whatsoever about duty cycle, CFM, etc on their page. And with a cigarette lighter/power port plug it is a low amp tool that won't be able to move very much air.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have a lot of Dewalt cordless stuff and it's pretty robust, never burned up any tool, even in continuous high-draw use. As far as the cig plug, it's easy to change to alligator clamps. A big advantage of this Dewalt is that it runs on three different power sources, so lots of flexibility. And for me, it would be a backup to my big, fat, 12 CFM OBA.

FYI, I bought one of the cheapo Ryobi cordless inflators a couple of years ago, just for topping up tires after the truck has been sitting for a while. Runs on 18V L-Ion batteries, lets you preset the inflation pressures, no hoses to get out or drag around, just connect it, set it, and walk away. Slow, but works like a champ if you are not in a hurry and only have to add a few psi.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I have the viair. I've only used it on bike tires so far but it seems like a nice unit. No experience with the mv-50.
Finally worked the viar 88p. I don't like it. I've never used one off these portable units before so maybe I'm expecting too much. To take my travel trailer for a trip i needed to air up my stock sized tires from fifty five to seventy five psi. It took almost an hour after letting it cool back down for a bit. Just to bump up 20 psi on 265/60r20.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
maybe I'm expecting too much. To take my travel trailer for a trip i needed to air up my stock sized tires from fifty five to seventy five psi. It took almost an hour after letting it cool back down for a bit. Just to bump up 20 psi on 265/60r20.

Yep! I have yet to find a reasonably priced (cheap) small, portable compressor that will be happy or quick inflating truck tires above 25-30 psi or so (the size of the tiny cylinder, and motor in these compressors prevent it).
For higher pressure or higher volume performance, off road, I typically convert an AC compressor running from the vehicle engine to compress air (many articles on the web). At idle or just above they can approach medium sized (1-2.5 horse or so) home compressor performance with a surge tank... depends a lot on the AC compressor).

Used this MV 1050 (cheap Masterflow) to inflate a friends (four) 235/75 or 80 15 street (A/T) tires to 25 psi in a few minutes per tire from about 18 psi or so. It was getting warm but this I blame this, in part, on the restrictive, screw on tire valve "chuck". Besides being some what anemic once this type of compressor is over heated they may not work well even at lower pressures; I have, sometimes, been able to somewhat restore lost performance, temporarily, by adding a drop or two of engine oil to the cylinder to improve the piston to cylinder (or perhaps reed valve) seal.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I have the viair. I've only used it on bike tires so far but it seems like a nice unit. No experience with the mv-50.
Finally worked the viar 88p. I don't like it. I've never used one off these portable units before so maybe I'm expecting too much. To take my travel trailer for a trip i needed to air up my stock sized tires from fifty five to seventy five psi. It took almost an hour after letting it cool back down for a bit. Just to bump up 20 psi on 265/60r20.
75psi is not easy for small compressors - hat to say it, but that is totally unrealistic for most alligator clip style (20ish amps) compressors. I've been using an 88p for years (got a great deal -; something like 4 for $50) ... I use two in the jeep to air up from 10-35 psi or so. Works great, but nothing more than 35psi. At pressures greater than 45, forget it. Occasionally used them for my trailer or van... took too long...

jadmt

ignore button user
a viar 88 is way too small for truck tires. I would use that on my daughters honda civic but not on a jeep or truck tire. you need a 400P I use mine all the time pumping 35's up and no issues, but any compressor will get hot that is how they work they are like a car piston.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
a viar 88 is way too small for truck tires. I would use that on my daughters honda civic but not on a jeep or truck tire. you need a 400P I use mine all the time pumping 35's up and no issues, but any compressor will get hot that is how they work they are like a car piston.

Heat is where the PUMA shines with zero duty cycle. After airing up all your tires you can grab the compressor cylinder head with your hand.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
My "generic" Britpart Twin Cylinder compressor will take my 245/70/16's from ZERO to 60+psi in a couple of minutes.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
A 400c has about double the CFM of the 88p and nearly 3x the price. It is a solid choice, but a pair of 88p gives me approx the same CFM, is less expensive and gives some level of redundancy.

The same argument goes for the any of the other cheapies...

Been running a pair of 88p on my Jeep for the last 7ish years...been fine. I thrash them and have learned my lesson (burned fingers). I almost always air down on dirt roads and of course while wheeling...I like speed and smoothness big rubber air springs.

Wouldnt pay full price for what I do with them, but they come up for sale quite often and are handy to move around from vehicle to vehicle. For people running 33s and occasionally wheel, they'll be great...when they hit $45 or so they are a good deal.

I've never had a re-wired 88p ( #10 wire and 30A/50A Anderson) fail, but I've had the clip and factory wire ones fail (one was after an attempt to air up my dump trailer to 65psi, the other - no reason)...they have their place - just like the MV50s.

All of the above notwithstanding, I'm going to run a pair of the 400c or similar under the Jeep with a tank. My van will get a divorce mounted AC compressor - most likely a 3/4 hp from silent and a 3ish gallon tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles