inexpensive 12v tire inflator

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
For our LX470 I divorced a PUMA, built a cage and run it live. Total footprint 18"x6"x10" with no duty cycle

Attachments

• IMG_8741[1].JPG
    IMG_8741[1].JPG
    350.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_8737[1].JPG
    IMG_8737[1].JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 81

rexwang

Observer
update:

I ending up buying a MasterFlow MF1050 from pepboys. I got it from their eBay store and it was right at 50 bucks shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152007420849?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

my driver's front tire was a little low, turns out it was at around 20psi (via my hand gauge not the one mounted to the compressor). It pumped it up in a few minutes to 45psi. 265/70/17 on a stock tundra 5spoke 17x7.5.

It recommends you run the engine while you use the compressor but i didnt. battery puts out like 12.6 volts but when the truck runs (and is charging) itll put out 14.4v. some say that 12.6 is low, but thats totally normal for my truck. only when the truck stops charging (but continues to run) will the voltage display 13.5v.

here is the description from the pepboys website:
The powerful MasterFlow MF-1050 is a sturdy and rugged air compressor specifically manufactured for trucks, SUV, 4X4, and RV tires. The MasterFlow MF-1050 has been met with great success in the off-road, truck, and RV community. MasterFlow MF-1050 is for the specialty customer at a price point the customer knows to be a great deal. There's no longer a need to wait 40 minutes plus to inflate your tire while off-roading or rock crawling, the MF-1050 inflates all 4 tires in 30 minutes. Inflates a full size truck tire in less than 2 minutes (25-35 PSI). Inflates a standard size tire in less than 1 minute (25-35 PSI).
MF-1050 is a Tool Not a Toy!
MF-1050 inflates tires faster than the standard portable air compressor or tire inflator
Direct drive oil less motor versus gear driven motor
Inflates full size truck tire in less than 2 minutes (25-35 PSI)
Inflates standard size tire in less than 1 minute (25-35 PSI)
Type M fitting to change to a longer hose if desired; 16 Ft Coil Hose Included
Anti-vibration feet to prevent the unit from "walking away" while inflating tires
Powered directly from the battery with alligator clips for more power
Amperage30
Flow Rate (CFM)2.54
Height (in,)9.01
Weight (lbs)10.25
Length (in.)11.22
Width (in.)7.87

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
One of our little MV50's was put to good use yet again.

Spent a few days out at some local dunes, and BLM land off road and in the sand.

On the last evening before leaving the next morning, the little MV50 came out to do the deed.

The truck/camper was aired up from 25PSI to 55PSI (front) and 65PSI (rear)
And the Jeep was aired up from 15PSI to 28PSI (front and rear)

Little to no break in between tires, and it performed just as flawlessly as ever.

18121615_1930372057208474_6115432567626125438_o.jpg

SnowedIn

Observer
My MV-50 gave me almost 4 years of use - now it's mostly a spare.

I don't much care for how it attaches to the valve stem and the pressure gauge is worthless, but it works and appears to be easy enough to fix and maintain. Fuse holder melted on a ~100 deg. F day after airing back up 4 32" tires. Otherwise, no issues. Before using it I disassembled it, cleaned out the factory grease, and put in good quality grease which I presume helps it run cooler. No other mods to it.

Never got stuck without air due to a failure.

I use the ARB single compressor in their gray plastic box now; much easier to use and a bit faster, but of course costs several times as much.

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
I went to 4Wheel parts and picked up the smallest compressor (Viair 74P) to keep in my vehicle at all times. This allows me to be able to pump up a flat tire after fixing.

It also allows me to air back up after deflation from an unplanned off pavement trip.

I also picked up a larger Viair model for planned trips (especially when wheeling with others). This allows me to air up quicker, and I still have the little pump if the big one fails. (Belt and suspenders philosophy).

Cheers, TR

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
To keep the space used small I modified a Masterflow MF-1050 to fit in a 7.62/.30 caliber ammo can (storage/stowage volume is always short in a Jeep).
Since wire (12ga.) stores better/more compactly than hose I went with a long wire rather than a long hose.
compressor out of the can 50 croppedDSCF0302.jpgcompressor in a can 50 croppedDSCF0301.jpg

Enjoy!

Rezarf <><

Explorer
image.jpegimage.jpgI've been working on a dual-twin cylinder compressor. I bought two Bonaire compressors at my local Costco for $29/each. They're well made and work great. Mine filled up my 35's from trail pressure to street pressure in about 4.5 minutes. Combining two of the should get me in the sub 3 minute range. One would be plenty for your use but I had a pic so....

I've added separate check valves and air filters for each cylinder and a 3 gallon air tank... This system should really fly.

I've had good luck with the Smittybuilt inflator. It's $150 I think. It has worked when I needed it, though it gets DAMN hot!

-M

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Viair 350P. Awesome customer service, and a quality product. More than the MV-50, but hey, buy once, cry once.

300P here. Dependable performance,alligator clips with quality tubing and inflator. 33% duty cycle but it will inflate four 35's from 30-50psi in 20 minutes which is within the operation parameters.
A 100% duty cycle though if I were to do it again.
There much cheaper than they used to also.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Has anyone tried one of these Air Armor M240 units (link below along with a couple related YouTube videos)? I've got a CO2 tank mounted in the back of my Jeep TJ, but when I do the tailgate drop-down conversion on the TJ, I'm thinking of putting the CO2 tank in my other Jeep (CJ2A), and getting one of these M240 units so I can also swap it between my TJ and truck (and throw it in the back of my wife's Subaru when we take it on long trips). I like how the M240 is all inside an ammo can (although I know not an original idea). FWIW I've considered the MV-50 for the portability factor (and the fact there's an unused ABS tray under the hood of my TJ where I could possibly hard mount it).
-
My CO2 tank is extremely fast at filling up tires, but takes up a lot of room, and one time I ran out of CO2 after filling up 3 out of four Jeep tires (and fortunately someone had a little electric portable air compressor to bail me out - might have even been an MV-50 - I don't remember). I think I've refilled the tank twice over the years (I don't go four wheeling near as much as I'd like).
-
https://www.specialopstools.com/air-armor-m240-portable-12-volt-tactical-air-compressor-kit/ $139.99 (the price on the picture says $229.99, but if you click on the link it is $139.99)
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBgxfNYoXVk
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efnMpQyrahs
-
air armor.JPG

Last edited:

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
I've had a harbor freight compressor for about 8 years, it's gone through 4 different rigs with me. I use it to inflate the 37s on my dodge from 12-25psi. It's slow, but cheap and it works. I had a viair hard mounted in my Tacoma and the harbor freight is just as fast and way less money. I've even re seated beads with it. For an air tank fill your spare (mines a 37 so quite a bit of volume) to max pressure and build a house with air Chuck's on both ends. I like the locking ones on one end. Then you can use that to transfer air when you need a lot of volume, like re seating a difficult tire. The best cheap compressor is a converted a/c pump. I converted the pump on my 4runner and it would pump as much air as a shop compressor. Just make sure you use an inline oiler to keep it lubricated.

hg1027

Since I'm just dreaming about the next off roader at the moment, would one of these little guys be able to blow the leaves and crud out of the trunk and hood crevices, and the goldfish crumbs out of my daughter's car seat? I wouldn't be running anything like the 10 minutes straight you're talking about for big tires, just a couple blasts to keep things tidy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier