inexpensive 12v tire inflator

rexwang

Observer
looking to get a tire inflator (air compressor) for the very few time i go offroad. unfortunately, it seems like ive been going once a year. so i dont really need anything that will be permanently mounted, just a compressor that will air me back up. im running 265/70/17 BFG KOs. not a huge tire, but certianly not a passenger size.

hard to not consider harbor freight for my needs and budget. any suggestions?

Airmapper

Inactive Member
You can sometimes find these MV-50 units for at or around $50, it's a pretty common unit sold on various websites, sometimes under different model numbers.

Here it is on Amazon, but the price it has now is higher than I paid: http://a.co/3gtfMaF

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
looking to get a tire inflator (air compressor) for the very few time i go offroad. unfortunately, it seems like ive been going once a year. so i dont really need anything that will be permanently mounted, just a compressor that will air me back up. im running 265/70/17 BFG KOs. not a huge tire, but certianly not a passenger size.
hard to not consider harbor freight for my needs and budget. any suggestions?
For what you're talking about I would think HF would be fine.
This one is $65.00: http://www.harborfreight.com/12volt-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-69285.html
I presume it's probably made in the same Chinese factory as the MV-50. ;) Certainly the "accessory packet" looks identical.

Choff

Adventurer
Walgreens -just got one for $20.00, needed it on a Sunday to fill up wife's car low tire.
Now going in camping equip. to carry when needed
Not to often !!!

rexwang

Observer
for what its worth, the MV-50 (aka MF-1050) has some decent reviews from the offroad community. Id probably give this thing a chance before harbor freight.

what about the viair 88P? any info/review?
https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B005ASY23I

also, it appears that my price range is going to end up being around 50-65bucks. sound right? obvisouly id like to go cheaper, but based on the quality of components im not sure i can go less.

so far, it looks like superflow MV-50 vs viair 88p...

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Do you think tires with air are going to go away in your lifetime? Who knows but you can bet that cheap China compressor will go away. But a good one and enjoy having a real compressor for life.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
MV50
MF-1050
Tsunami

All the same and a great value for the guy with needs 12 or less times a year.

If a 12v compressor plugs into a 12 volt outlet its a POS

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
for what its worth, the MV-50 (aka MF-1050) has some decent reviews from the offroad community. Id probably give this thing a chance before harbor freight.
Pretty sure the HF unit is the Exact. Same. Thing. ;)
I have a ViAir 90p that I've been using for years.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...vtargid=kwd-4937417985&ref=pd_sl_25y9q1h43s_e
Works great, even on 33's. One thing I like about the ViAir over the MV50 is that the ViAir has an ez-on (clamp) valve attachment, whereas the MV-50 has an annoying screw-on unit.
Important thing is to make sure it connects directly to the battery with alligator clips. The smaller compressors (the ones that plug into the 12v power outlet) don't have enough "grunt" to inflate a big off road tire and those are more suited for passenger car use.

MOguy

Explorer
MV50
MF-1050
Tsunami

All the same and a great value for the guy with needs 12 or less times a year.

If a 12v compressor plugs into a 12 volt outlet its a POS

This is something to consider. If it plugs into the cig lighter as opposed to clipping onto the battery it because it is because it is designed draw less power and will run much slower.

I am sure I run my MV50 more than 12 times a year. The MV50 is surprisingly reliable for as inexpensive as it is. It isn't comparable to higher dollar compressor but if you aren't in a big hurry it does just fine.

craig333

Expedition Leader
If you buy an MV-50 take it apart and tighten all the screws they didn't bother to tighten and it'll be a good little unit.

MOguy

Explorer
Pretty sure the HF unit is the Exact. Same. Thing. ;)

I have a ViAir 90p that I've been using for years.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...vtargid=kwd-4937417985&ref=pd_sl_25y9q1h43s_e
Works great, even on 33's. One thing I like about the ViAir over the MV50 is that the ViAir has an ez-on (clamp) valve attachment, whereas the MV-50 has an annoying screw-on unit.
Important thing is to make sure it connects directly to the battery with alligator clips. The smaller compressors (the ones that plug into the 12v power outlet) don't have enough "grunt" to inflate a big off road tire and those are more suited for passenger car use.

If HF is harbor freight then they are not the same unless HF changed their compressor in the last couple years. I had a couple HF ones and they didn't last long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles