Vario 814d rear springs

docka

Adventurer
MOT time today, it passed ok.

However after not driving my rig for quite some time I was amazed again by how "live" the rear end is and how you feel every bump and pothole especially when there's not much load in the back, it's ok on A roads but on the Bs it's a helluva bone shaker.

Anyone else experience this and done something about it other than add weight?

Airbags? 614D leaf springs?
Cheers

Ullie

Adventurer
New shock-adsorbers. Ours past also every time without any problem MOT, but we've experienced the same as what you discribe. After chainging the shock-adsorbers, the problem was solved.
Also the persons traveling in the back said the comfort was a lot better.

docka

Adventurer
Thanks Ullie, I was hoping there might be an easy (ish) fix. Did you change them yourself, is it a big job and did you get the new ones from the Merc dealer or elsewhere?

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I replaced mine with adjustable Konis and I then set them pretty stiff after some experimenting. It made a big difference in the front and some difference in the back. The rear springs ARE setup up for full 5500Kg load though.

Ullie

Adventurer
Thanks Ullie, I was hoping there might be an easy (ish) fix. Did you change them yourself, is it a big job and did you get the new ones from the Merc dealer or elsewhere?

Easy to do yourself. 2 bolts to losen for the adsorber, but you might also losen your torsion bar at the back. 8 small bolts to losen as well. Be carefull with fastening the small bolts that you don't break them.
Bought them at the Merc dealer. Not cheap, 250 €/piece, reenforced chock adsorbers.

docka

Adventurer
Thanks. I've had a look under the van and you're right it doesn't look too bad a job. However the dealer price seems very high when theyre on ebay for about £60 each?

docka

Adventurer
Thanks Ian.

Got some delivered today, Sabo brand, never heard of them but was desperate as going to Scotland on Friday. Hope they're up to the job...

docka

Adventurer
Highlands of Scotland trip went mostly well. Weather was a bit breezy and the Fiamma wind out and safari room was not really up to the job, something stronger required methinks.

Re the shock absorbers, there was a definite improvement with the new ones but I still reckon something else needs to be done. Anyone had any success with changing anti roll bar bushes or any other rubber components that may have deteriorated?

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hi Docka,

I changed all the rubbers at the front end a couple of years ago. Pretty easy to do, cheap, and i'm sure would notice and improvement.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Yep we just sold ours....and on Friday picked up our new base vehicle....check back later tonight for the intro thread!

olafboswijk

Observer
I've always found my Vario to be bumpy. I do think new shocks could be helpful, but was also recently told by another Vario 818 owner here in Chile that they found theirs because the Chilean government had recently sold off about 5 off them previously used as ambulances in remote areas. apparently they were so bumpy that the patients were falling of the bed in the back and sueing the Chilean government :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles