Tundra 1.5" Spacers Requires Longer Studs?

PHeller

Adventurer
Anybody know the verdict on whether the 05-06 Tundras need longer wheel studs to safety install 1.5" spacers/adapters?

I'm thinking of getting a set. Seems like nobody produces steel adapters for a reasonable price for these trucks, so we're left with aluminum. People have also run into all sorts of varying degrees of issues with the length of the stock studs being too short for some bigger spacers.

Some retailers list their spacers as being both hub-centric and wheel-centric, while most just say hub-centric.

Additionally, do stock lug nuts just have a cover over the end preventing the stud from passing through? As-in, you could remove the chrome cover and get pass through lug nuts for longer studs?

Last edited:

summerprophet

Adventurer
1.5 inch spacers should come with studs attached, with a depression for a nut for the stock studs.

I have 1.25" spidertrax spacers on my 4Runner. Same model as the tundra.
image.jpeg

PHeller

Adventurer
No no, I mean the original studs, do they need to be longer in order for the nuts included with the spacer to get full engagement of the threads of the original studs?

Some people have found that many wider spacers don't have full engagement of the threads on inside of the spacer.

They look like this when installed:

img_6354-jpg.1408855

PHeller

Adventurer
No I know how they mount and work.

You take the adapter, you take the nuts included, and you attach it to your original hub, then attach you wheel the adapter with stock lugnuts. It's simple. I've worked in multiple tire shops and see them a bunch of times.

What I'm asking is, how many of you have ORIGINAL studs that are TOO SHORT for the adapter. As in, when you go to bolt it up the hub, the studs aren't long enough to go completely through the supplied nuts.

It was mentioned before, some people solve this with ET (Extended Thread) Lug Nuts.

Some people install longer ORIGINAL studs in their hubs so the adapters nuts get proper engagement.

Some people are comfortable running the adapter nuts without the original studs actually going through the aftermarket nuts.

Some Tundra, Land Cruiser, and other owners encounter this problem with thicker spacers.

It looks like this:

IMG_0839.jpg

3488ecf0.jpg

24359d1414867656-people-wheel-spacers-help-image.jpg

comanche035.jpg

Notice all of these have the STOCK studs on the ORIGINAL hub not coming completely through the supplied nuts of the adapter/spacer? This apparently is quite common on some Tundra, and effected some BORA spacers.

In the end, it doesn't matter. I bought spacers from a reputable manufacturer. If I need longer studs, I'll buy longer studs. If I don't, great.

scheefdog

Observer
The way you were asking your question made it seem like you didn't understand how a spacer works.The stock studs are long enough for all the popular spacers. Here is a picture of my 06 Tundra DC with a spidertrax spacer on the front.

IMG_9197.jpg

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Looks like they didn't bore out the hole deep enough? Are they using lug nuts with the 60 degree bevel on them? or some type of flat "mag" type nuts? How long are the stock studs? I have spacers on a vehicle which only has 1 inch of exposed threads and they completely fill the supplied lug nuts - although they are special "short" lug nuts which are only 0.650" tall including the beveled section.

Sorry about my comment previously, BTW - you do understand what is going on - just seemed like you didn't some how.

PHeller

Adventurer
Interesting. I wonder if it's just a case of some manufacturers of spacers messing up the milling of the spacer holes not being deep enough.

I've got some coming from Supreme Suspensions via Amazon. Supreme seems like a legit suspension manufacturer, so we'll see how these look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier