Best Cruiser for a global expo vehicle?

Not sure your reason of 25 yrs or older, but if you for go that criteria, with U.S. Residence, 1fzj (80 series). Easy to find parts, comfortable, affordable, reliable roomy. I travel with my wife and 2 labradors
25 years old criteria is so that i can import the vehicle to the USA
maybe i'm biased but i still say the 80 series is the best all around cruiser ever.
If I dont figure a way to get a 75 then an 80 series is on the list of vehicles available in the USA that I would consider. The reason I would like a hzj75 is the simple diesel engine, long production run, and global availability. My next build will be one that i invest a lot more time into and will hopfully keep for a long time and travel with through south america, asia, and africa. Or at least that's the idea :)

Andosan

Hi guys, just joined the forum as I'm about to take delivery of a VDJ200, which will be my third cruiser.

For absolute reliability I'd look at first and foremost at anything with 1HZ power. I owned a HZJ80 and did plenty of remote area overland type travel with zero issues. There are thousands of 70/75/80 series here in Oz that are setup for expedition/overland travel. Not as much power or torque as the turbo models or later direct injection units, but enough to go wherever you want if you are sensible and know how to drive off-road.

If you really need it they can powered up with turbos. Done well and carefully they are excellent, just stick to mild boost and ensure the donor engine is in proper condition.

My 80 would consistently get 18-19 mpg regardless of load when travelling on highway or trails. Heavy off-roading would see that increase.

Troop carriers or single cab utes are often preferred for the simple reason you can fit more gear in them.

Thanks Andosan, and welcome to the forum.
I've been running into quite a few issues trying to buy one, but am still intending to get a 1hz powered land cruiser. I might just end up waiting till my current trip is over and pursuing it after I am back home.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
T2J: what country are you in now, Nica? If so, do you reside there with residencia? What nationality are you?

I ask because all of the above directly effects grobal range of use.

J70 series trucks are readily available in CR, I have buddy there who has a 2012 VDJ79 for sale right now.

J70 series cannot be registered in US unless >25 years old. But, IMO, you dont want to to take on the overhaul challenege of >25 developing world truck. Its a big and costly effort to get reliable. I have looked at over 3 dozen J70 series truck in CR over the past 5 years but have walked away from all of them, they are pretty tired.

If yo are a US citzen, I would highly recoemnd you look into an HDJ80, they are only restrictd by 21 years for EPA restriction not NTSA. And, most imporatnty, not used as ambulance or police vehicles. Easily procured in CR or NIca for $15K to 20K with a 100K kilometers on the clock. VX version come with OEM winch, roof rack, ambi doors, plus the coveted 1HDT engine.

nosedive

Observer
Since you mentioned all the Swiss/German travelers with Diesel troopys. I'm Swiss and often reading in the Buschtaxi forum, probably the biggest German speaking Toyota community.
Many threads start with "HELP parts needed in South America". If I remember right, most Land Cruisers in South America are petrol and not diesel, such as FZJ79/FZJ88 or the newer ones GRJ79/78/76 with the 4.0l petrol engine. It seems to be difficult to source parts down there, even just the diesel filters.

The 1-HZ may be bulletproof, but it's also way underpowered. Especially if you want to cross the andes. The non turbo engine suffers in higher elevation especially when your vehicle is loaded with all your gear. A huge power loss is the result of it.

My coice would be the newer generation with the 4.0 1-GR-FE petrol engine over the old 1-HZ. More power, better gearbox, timing chaing and no belt and it runs "smoother".

Oh and remember, the HZJ78/79/76 came with a weak gearbox that tends to fail on you. There're many threads of travelers with broken gearboxes along the PanAm.

But since you're stucked with the 25 years rule, I would go with a HDJ80.
Or import a HZJ78/79 and swap the engine to a 1-HD-T, that would give you an awesome truck!

Cheers, Neil

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Since you mentioned all the Swiss/German travelers with Diesel troopys. I'm Swiss and often reading in the Buschtaxi forum, probably the biggest German speaking Toyota community.
Many threads start with "HELP parts needed in South America". If I remember right, most Land Cruisers in South America are petrol and not diesel, such as FZJ79/FZJ88 or the newer ones GRJ79/78/76 with the 4.0l petrol engine. It seems to be difficult to source parts down there, even just the diesel filters.

The 1-HZ may be bulletproof, but it's also way underpowered. Especially if you want to cross the andes. The non turbo engine suffers in higher elevation especially when your vehicle is loaded with all your gear. A huge power loss is the result of it.

My coice would be the newer generation with the 4.0 1-GR-FE petrol engine over the old 1-HZ. More power, better gearbox, timing chaing and no belt and it runs "smoother".

Oh and remember, the HZJ78/79/76 came with a weak gearbox that tends to fail on you. There're many threads of travelers with broken gearboxes along the PanAm.

But since you're stucked with the 25 years rule, I would go with a HDJ80.
Or import a HZJ78/79 and swap the engine to a 1-HD-T, that would give you an awesome truck!

Cheers, Neil

Neil,

You have some good points to consider. I just stumbled across this thread as I'm potentially moving to Chile in a year (or for future travel) and I was going to start researching the petrol vs. diesel availability. I like my current BJ73 a lot, but I need more space with 3 children. I'm leaning towards an HDJ80 as well, also to being able to take it back to the States eventually is a plus.

umpqua

Observer
What do you think of this as a S American exped truck. It's an '88 FJ62, manual transmission with a '92 1HDT. It's in good mechanical order. Would you be hesitant taking a rig this old on the drive South?

Attachments

• Painted Hills.jpg
    Painted Hills.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 14

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
What do you think of this as a S American exped truck. It's an '88 FJ62, manual transmission with a '92 1HDT. It's in good mechanical order. Would you be hesitant taking a rig this old on the drive South?

Could work well. Replace all chassis and driveline wear parts before heading south and bring spares for engine.

hottahue

Hi, we are german travellers and currently in the US with our HZJ78 Troopy...I had a lot to do with Landcruiser in my job and here are some suggestions for you.
A Troopy is and will ever be the perfect traveling vehicle if you need 4wd, reliability and clearance. But the space inside is limited and troopys are mostly pretty heavy after a full conversion.
If you can live with "some" power that gets you everywhere (but not fast) the 1HZ is the best option. But drive one before you buy it. For Americans it's mostly unbelievable to drive a vehicle with 130hp and 7500-9000 pounds...:)
If you do an engine-swap (no matter what engine but the hd-t is a nice choice) you are looking at about 30-50k for an empty (but fully inspected and ready to go) vehicle.
What's about an FZJ78...yes, it's not as fuel efficient as an 1HZ or hd-t but it has a lot of power, a nice gearbox and it's available from stock. And really reliable.
If you plan to travel only in hot or warm climates an 80 might be the best option as an American. Get a cheap FZJ80, convert it, travel with it and if you feel like you'll need a new engine in a few years, just convert it to whatever you like best (there are so many options).
80s have very limited space but with some nice drawers, a rooftop tent, Pop-Top or trailer you'll be fine most of the time. And you have a very reliable all-day vehicle.
And believe me, if you're a bad (or no) mechanic, you could spend thousands of dollars looking for parts and finding someone installing them for you. In that case a common vehicle (like the 80, depending on your destination) might be the better choice for you...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles