Best Cruiser for a global expo vehicle?

I am currently traveling through Central America with my wife and dog in our T100 with a small, homemade camper. We have been on the road for nearly a year and planning to keep going for one more year before returning home to the USA. We have really enjoyed this kind of travel and would like to keep going all over the world (after a few years of saving up $ again).

I have seen many swiss and german driving 79 or 78 series land cruisers with camper conversions on the back. I really like these vehicles and have them as a top choice for a global expo build, but am new to the land cruiser market and would like your opinions. I know that 70 series cruisers aren't available in the states, but I am considering importing one for the project.

If you were going to pick a land cruiser to build a global expedition vehicle, which land cruiser would you pick?
- It must be at least 24 years old
-It will be a full-time home for 2 people and a dog.
- I will be doing some kind of camper conversion to provide us with indoor living space so the body from cab-back will be completely redesigned
-It will be used to explore for surf, hikes, and cool camping spots. I would like something a bit more 4x4 capable than our stock T100, but we're also not out looking for the most challenging routs posable.
-Reliability is key since we are generally traveling on our own and often in remote areas.

I am currently looking at hdj78 or hdj79 cruisers as my top picks.

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Considering all the models available for import into the U.S., I'd go with a 75 series single cab. If money is tight for the build, I'd try adapting an older FWC to the fit the truck bed. Otherwise, a bare bones custom unit from Phoenix shouldn't be too prohibitively priced.

Happy trails and good luck.

Nice. I had a feeling land cruiser enthusiast would be happy to offer opinions:)
Keep em coming! and let me know what you think about engine options. I would think the HD-t, but I see a lot of people have gone with the Hz

Upland80, I have been getting mixed info on this. If the vehicle is 25 years old, what is it that makes it unregisterable?

NM-Frontier

Explorer
HZJ75 Troopy will fit the bill quite nicely. The 1HZ is a non turbo but parts availability is just about would wide, even here in North America you can source most parts. (But Toyota seems to be on us and cutting some availability). Though non turbo in stock form, it takes on one very well if you really need the extra boost. These trucks were in introduced in 1991 so are eligible for import. Patience and deep pockets can get you one in good condition(no rust) and relatively lowish miles. The troop carrier is an excellent platform for a camper.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
You want the vehicle on the right but like others have said its very costly and difficult to obtain in the USA.

Just buy one outside of the USA and store it in Mexico/Canada when stateside. Just a thought dont know if or how that could works.

Attachments

• IMG_6016.jpg
    IMG_6016.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 72

Dusty Grin

Observer
I agree that 1HZ 75 series is the best, or one of the best you could ask for. I have had no troubles getting parts for mine so far. I have a pop a top from 1990 but even without the lifting top, there is plenty of headroom to put a bench in and sit upright in back. It's huge inside. Averaging 20 miles per gallon is not bad at all with a full load of gear on board as well. Turns out driving on the right-hand side is not only easy, it's kind of cool in a way.
I'm selling my other 1HZ 75 series (rust free) very soon in case you go that direction.

AndyIMG_1714.jpg

Older with a robust motor is better since you will have varying fuel quality. The newer motors whether diesel or gas will be harder to source parts for or fix in case you pick up some less than stellar fuel.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The brand new troopy we spent 2 weeks in the Serengeti was a cool rig. Imported directly from Japan as a 2 door. Then stretched and custom 9 pass body put on it in Tanzania. Duel 10ply spairs on heavy pipe racks on the rear, crazy heavy custom body built like a bank vault. It sat on a set of leaf springs that looked like they came off a 10ton dump truck. Bad *** rig! 25mpg US average on the 2006 strait 6 TD 6spd manual. Fully locked etc. We only ran 4x4 vs 2wd once and were fully locked up also climbing outa the crater. Our driver /owner had a 4 person LC and a range rover in his fleet.

The troopy was his favorite in dry season and hard pack. It was so heavy he said they have lost many troopys on beaches and soft ground given they sink like a 10ton dump truck in quicksand. His winter rig used to support research teams is the Range Rover. Very light and nearly impossible to stop. His complaint about the rover. He said it was the biggest piece of ******** on the plains regarding the engine.

Where you headed? Soft un packed dirt roads? F250 7L diesel set up to run on the worst diesel possible. With nice locking contractors cap on the bed. Nice sized tires that keep you from sinking. No really its been done and that rig seems to thrive on epic trips like that.

Troopy was awesome.. I want one but I have no illusions of one doing loose track muddy trails without a tracked military grade tow truck tagging along to drag it out of earth like its a ships anchor.

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
I will Add another vote to the HZJ75! Very Reliable, Simple to work on, and the Troopy body is fantastic for Expeditions. I have to say Im a fan of the toyota Turbo engines for the extra power but through the years I have read many times that the reliability of the HZJ is simply unbeatable, not to mention of not having to deal with the possibility of a turbo failure somewhere in the middle of who knows where...

Your choice of the HDJ78 is great too, but if memory serves me right, the 78 wasn't introduced until 2000-2001, so you would have to wait a few years (6-7 years by my count) to import one.

Last edited:

lugueto

Adventurer
Good on you for choosing the 70 series, I'd choose an HZJ7X, be it a 5,6 or 8. The 1HZ is a slow engine, but it will run forever and parts are readily available in most countries where Toyota

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
It's been said before, but the time I've spent in 1HZ powered Troopies in Oz has me convinced. They are awesome! A turbo would be nice if you're doing much higher altitude driving (anything much beyond 5,000' ASL). The 70 series ute with a camper body is great, but for true "expedition" (I'm really starting to hate that word) travel, the ability to access the drivers seat from your sleeping quarters would be near the top of my list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles