Best Cruiser for a global expo vehicle?

Thanks for all the input guys. I will continue to learn about the 1hz and the 75 series.

I'm also learning about my ability to purchase and export vehicles from various Central American countries and what it takes to get it imported to the USA. The current idea is to purchase one in Guatemala and drive it back. Then register it in South Dakota. I'm just having a tough time getting solid information on basicaly any step of this process. Depending on what I read its either simple paperwork and a small fee or extremly expencive if not impossable.

Same here, if I were a rich man. But I'm not, so I'd stick with the T-100
I'm not rich either, but no kids and a wife that's onboard with the idea has me looking into it. If I can't get it figured out, I will probably stick with the T100. It's worked well through central america. I'm just not sure about the 3.4L 's availability outside the Americas. More stuff to look into I guess.

altaboy

Observer
check out the 70 series and import forums on Ih8tmud site. Probably the go-to site for usa or usa bound rigs.

BulletHead

Adventurer
The 2h (hj60) Toyota diesel isn't as well regarded as the 1hz or hj61 (12ht-turbo) or even the 3b. The BJ75 (3b-4cyl diesel) would be a wise choice as well, they come in Troopy versions.

The NA engines are well suited for reliability purposes for expeditionary travel vehicles, I would lean towards the 1hz or 3b equipped variants.

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like the HZJ75 has come to the top of my list.
So far in my research, it is possible to purchase and export a vehicle from Guatemala, but it is complicated, involves lawyers and a 1-3 month waiting period. So, Panama is looking like a better/easier place to purchase from. If anyone has any expeirience/ input on this process, please share!
I will continue to post my experience as things develop further.

zimm

Expedition Leader
the 1hz has a power curve that rivals that of a 2f... barely. (7 main bearings tho!) it was slow in 25 years ago traffic, and the world is now paved. The troopy is a van on a medium pickup body so it ought to be a great platform, but i think youre better off getting a newer truck you can buy right here. in the past 25 years, dealer networks are worldwide, and shipping is no longer by boat.

unless youre intimately familiar with the platform, i'd try not to fight the next war, with the last wars tank. get an AEV dodge, upgrade the filter, and go. you can finance that, deferred charges can be useful to startups. why be cash poor from fronting everything at the start?

think of the Turtle. its the size you want. its a success story.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input zimm.
the 1hz has a power curve that rivals that of a 2f... barely. (7 main bearings tho!) it was slow in 25 years ago traffic, and the world is now paved.

The lack of power is the one thing I'm not thrilled about when it comes to the land cruisers. I'm fine with not driving fast. I rarely use 5th gear in central America. But I would like to pass the overloaded trucks driving 10mph down the highway with out needing a 5 mile gap in the oncoming trafic to do it. :)

i think youre better off getting a newer truck you can buy right here. in the past 25 years, dealer networks are worldwide, and shipping is no longer by boat.

Good point. I don't have anything against driving a USA vehicle, but I like the idea of a quality desiel engine with good torque at low rpms and a straight axle front end. Those are the main reasons I would switch to a land cruiser instead of sticking to the T100 platform.
I considered a dodge with a Cummins for my current trip, but they are just so big. I am currently in a T100 and relly don't want to be any wider/longer. Many situations in Mexico/Central America have shown me that a T100 is as big as I want to go. Parkinglots, backroads, city streets, basicaly anywhere other then main highways and avenues and the T100 starts feeling pretty big. Did they ever offer the Dakota with a quality desiel engine?

think of the Turtle. it's the size you want. its a success story.
If your referring to the Turtle Expedition vehicle I think its a bit bigger than I'm looking for. If I'm wrong I would love to hear about it.

I'm not hung up on a land cruiser or even sticking with Toyota. I just can't seem to find a better option for a durable 4x4 to haul me, my wife and a ton of junk around the globe while still fitting on the "roads" that are often found outside the USA. Open to suggestions!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The HZJ 75 isn't likely to knock your socks off with its power, but I drove a 3B powered 60 series (90 hp) loaded to and probably beyond the max 15,000 miles through some crazy country in Mexico and the US. I lived to very happily tell the tale. I'd suggest you drive a HZJ before you cross it off your list.

esh

Explorer
It is not that difficult to add ~10psi turbo boost and wake the 1HZ up significantly. At that low pressure, you don't have to worry about hurting anything and the rewards are significant. It is very easy to pass with a 1HZ-turbo'd loaded down cruiser. :D

The 1HZ may be Toyota's longest production run engine. I see 2016 HZJ79s for sale so I'm not sure if it is still produced or if everything uses the VDJ motor now. Regardless, that is a run from at least 1990 - 2016 which implies very available parts. Consider that the legendary 12H-T had just a 5-year production run. The factory turbo 1HD-T and 1HD-FT(/E) variants are beastly motors but they also mean higher initial and parts costs. The 1HD-T shares the same block with the 1HZ but is direct injected with a different head and has larger/stronger components with higher fuel flow. It is a better solution if you can swing it as Toyota did all the work for you.

Another thing about the 1HZ is how smooth it runs. It is much different than the 2H/3B/12H-T era tractor-rattle motors as well as the Isuzu and the Cummins 4BTs that usually get swapped in. I get a lot of "that is too quiet for a diesel" comments. So for me, the torque of an I6 diesel, the turbo that brings it along nicely for cruising, and the livability of the excellent design makes it a good all-around choice. I have owned and driven many B/H/HZ/HD configurations and would say skip 4-cylinders. Under weight they are fine for slow torquey situations, but are slow on the road.

How are you finding 70 series availability in Central America? I always hear they are put to hard use like you might see in Africa, and hard to come by in good shape.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input esh.

I'm sure I'll be happy most of the time with the Hz. I drove a pickup with 22re for many years. Not too fast, but it kept rolling and that's more important.

I have seen a lot of 70 series in Nicaragua, but I can't purchase here because I am not a citizen. There were a few in Guatemala and that is an option, but it sounds like it will be a headache and take at least a month to complete purchasse and registration in that country. I am hoping to find a hzj75 in Panama in OK shape. I wont be there for another month though, so we will see. I have seen a few advertised down there online, but haven't had the oportunity to see them in person yet.

T4R@DNA

Observer
Not sure your reason of 25 yrs or older, but if you for go that criteria, with U.S. Residence, 1fzj (80 series). Easy to find parts, comfortable, affordable, reliable roomy. I travel with my wife and 2 labradors. Death Valley : Lippencott Rd.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles