GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth K370 chassis

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Good Point Keyne

I'll be dead before I see everything I want to in North America alone. Having a rig that allows me to get where I want to be, bring the things I want with me and be able to stay for a while is appealing - even if I never left the USA. For most people the FUSO based rigs are perfect for that (as evidenced by the number of people doing it) but something more substantial and road worthy is a welcomed choice.

Keyne

Adventurer
Good Point Keyne

I'll be dead before I see everything I want to in North America alone. Having a rig that allows me to get where I want to be, bring the things I want with me and be able to stay for a while is appealing - even if I never left the USA. For most people the FUSO based rigs are perfect for that (as evidenced by the number of people doing it) but something more substantial and road worthy is a welcomed choice.

My whole outlook on these vehicles changed when I decided to buy one. I lusted after so many expedition rigs but realized, for now anyway, there is no way we would use the capability given our work schedules, health, and where we live (east coast). We spent a lot of time figuring out how WE wanted to use it, our budget, and other factors before deciding. In the end for us many of these features would be fun to talk about at cocktail parties but wouldn't really be used by us for quite some time. Therefore we bought what worked for us (Sprinter based RV & only 4x2) and just picked it up a week ago. It has all the features we wanted and will allow us to enjoy the great outdoors (hiking, fly fishing, road trips, and relaxing) for hopefully many years. However, if we lived out West (which could happen in the future) we would possibly choose a different solution, options, etc. because the use case would change. Anyway, IMO people should buy what works for them.

"We are in our 11th month overlanding through Mexico and Central America. We have met all kinds of overlanders from all over the world. All (of course) had pre-emissions standards rigs if they were diesel. Not only can you not take a modern diesel vehicle outside the US or Europe, nobody in their right mind would try."

So far my electronic U500 engine seems reliable. It is 2005 so no emission hardware (EGR fell off) such as DPF, SCR...it can use high sulfur diesel like 350ppm GOST diesel in Russia, 3000ppm Mongolian diesel. But NOT with CJ4 low ash lube oil; I use nice high ash Delvac 1 SHC.
I think the electronics are very reliable, the post 2005 emissions hardware not very much so.
The problems I hear about are mostly EGR leaks, plugged DPFs and resultant secondary problems; only rarely dead electronics. Having a spare ECU and other control units and Star computer minimizes risks of the latter.

Charlie

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
We are in our 11th month overlanding through Mexico and Central America. We have met all kinds of overlanders from all over the world. All (of course) had pre-emissions standards rigs if they were diesel. Not only can you not take a modern diesel vehicle outside the US or Europe, nobody in their right mind would try. If you can't fix all the problems you must have a rig that can be fixed by a local mechanic. No dealerships around to diagnose with their custom computers. Also, you can't easily source def down south. I wouldn't even buy a modern diesel rig to use in the US or Europe because I don't want to have to limp to the dealership every time the check engine light comes on.

This hasn't been my experience in Mexico.

Campgrounds in Mexico are full of Americans and Canadians running later model diesels. Including myself.

DEF has been spotted on shelves at AutoZones. I forgot to check at the Walmart in Guaymas when I was there.

The only emission related problem, I have first hand knowledge of, was with a Swiss couple running a Land Rover Defender. They were searching out a dealer to reprogram the ECU after a DPF delete. A shop cut open the DPF, removed the filter media and welded it back up. The DPF was packed full of ash. When asked if he was running low ash engine oil, his response was "Good quality, top, top." He wasn't sure if the oil he had been using met API CJ-4 or European low ash oil specifications.

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
Many want to remove their DPFs, while some want to make sure theirs doesn't disappear; DPF Security

What's needed is a DPF that's serviceable, remove the filter media, clean it, bake it dry and reinstall. If one does remove emission related components, they should consider retaining the parts. On some vehicles the DPF functions as the silencer or muffler, which makes replacing it with a straight pipe problematic.

Because of the increase in fuel sulfur content one will observe an increase in DEF consumption in a system that has SCR technology, (2010 diesels and later). It could double. The emission system is attempting to reduce the NOx output by increasing the application of urea. There's a limit though, if the system doesn't sense a reduction in the NOx, it can fault out with a DEF quality fault, thinking the DEF is bad. RV forums report the fix to clear the fault is to perform a manual DPF regeneration cycle. Some vehicles have this ability, some do not.

UNEP changed their servers, the below link was harder to find this time. It's a great reference.
UNEP Low Sulphur Diesel World Map

Last edited:

waveslider

Outdoorsman
My whole outlook on these vehicles changed when I decided to buy one. I lusted after so many expedition rigs but realized, for now anyway, there is no way we would use the capability given our work schedules, health, and where we live (east coast). We spent a lot of time figuring out how WE wanted to use it, our budget, and other factors before deciding. In the end for us many of these features would be fun to talk about at cocktail parties but wouldn't really be used by us for quite some time. Therefore we bought what worked for us (Sprinter based RV & only 4x2) and just picked it up a week ago. It has all the features we wanted and will allow us to enjoy the great outdoors (hiking, fly fishing, road trips, and relaxing) for hopefully many years. However, if we lived out West (which could happen in the future) we would possibly choose a different solution, options, etc. because the use case would change. Anyway, IMO people should buy what works for them.

Good points Keyne. I suspect a lot of people that go from having nothing to having a truck with the "bells and whistles" that are fun to talk about at cocktail parties find they don't use half the features that they obsessed over while trying to decide what they thought they might want or need.

We have been running a 4x4 SMB EB for 10 years now and have spent well over 1,500 nights in ours so we know EXACTLY what features we need and those we don't. I think people obsess over the bits and baubles, which are certainly important, but you can put the best box in the world on a turd of a chassis and your experience is diminished.

If we never step foot in Mexico again I'll consider it a goal achieved so a lot of the fuel and travel problems aren't a consideration for us, which is why we want a more capable chassis than something like a FUSO or a DOG ahem MOG. The one picture that absolutely intrigued us from the OP is the size of the pass-thru on the Kenworth- its HUGE!

The biggest problem we have coming from the SMB to these expedition trucks is the lack of visibility most of them have. They feel so claustrophobic and we know that having a big pass-thru opens up a lot of light and window space and the one on the GXV Kenworth is really a game changer in my opinion.

Being able to tow something is a must-have for us so the choice of chassis is simply critical but we have enjoyed being able to "tuck in" on some fairly remote trails in the van and know how nice that is. Everything is a trade off.....good luck with your new rig, you'll enjoy it and figure out what trade offs you will be willing to make on your next vehicle.

gregmchugh

Observer
The pass through on the GXV Kenworth is large compared to many other vehicles. There is a good view out the front from the rear. We have seat belts on the rear bench seat for passengers and they will have a good view when traveling. The pass through is offset to the driver's side due to the engine air snorkel attached to the rear of the cab on the passenger side.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Good Point Keyne

I see you are from Idaho, but just for the record, Mexico is in North America. And so is Canada for that matter. Just south of mx is an area called Central American. And south of there is , you guessed it, South America.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
The pass through on the GXV Kenworth is large compared to many other vehicles. There is a good view out the front from the rear. We have seat belts on the rear bench seat for passengers and they will have a good view when traveling. The pass through is offset to the driver's side due to the engine air snorkel attached to the rear of the cab on the passenger side.

Hey Greg, we are going to run down to MO this summer to (hopefully) sit in one. But can you compare how roomy the KW cab is compared to a FUSO? Have you been in both? Meaning, driver/passenger headroom and legroom and overall ergonomics? Bigger, smaller or the same? The FUSO seems cramped, but admittedly that's completely due to my size. Just wondering how different the KW is.

gregmchugh

Observer
I have never been in a Fuso so I can't make a comparison. It seems roomy enough to me and the steering wheel is adjustable so I had no trouble when I took the first Kenworth for a test drive. I am only 5'10" but pretty heavy and had no trouble. You might want to see if any local Kenworth dealers have one in stock and try it out. GXV keeps the standard driver's seat which is suspended and uses the optional passenger suspension seat which leaves a large center opening for access to the pass through from the passenger side. You can get a center console option for that area also but that might make getting to the pass through more difficult. Access to the pass through from the driver's side is blocked somewhat by the side console with the shift buttons and the parking brake release lever. Might require some gymnastics to get over it. The legroom seems adequate but not much more than that. The displays are very nice and there are steering wheel controls for most things including the engine braking. There is a nice series of videos on the UK DAF website with good overviews of the truck for drivers, covers all the aspects of operation but there are differences in the DAF version in Europe and the Kenworth version over here. Plenty of power on the highway and a very nice ride. Rear air suspension option is used. Ours will have the same 20' cabin but not have the raised rear roof and will have the standard height for the bed. We stayed with the north-south queen bed as in the first Kenworth.

The 4x4 conversion is done after the truck is delivered to GXV, suggest anyone who is interested in the details of the conversion contact GXV directly...

Here is the brochure for the truck...

http://www.kenworth.com/media/47343/K270 K370 June 2014.pdf

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Thanks Greg, I hadn't seen the UK videos, that's a nice resource. Its helpful to get insights from other folks that have kicked the tires so-to-speak. We already have a call into a Wyoming KW dealer to see if we can sit in one. Appreciate your willingness to answer questions. Next step is getting a custom elk catcher bolted to the front.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles