Got something from UPS today

BigBamBoo

Observer
"Back in the day" when I was heavy into CB, we use to stuff Leece Neville alternators under the hood to run BIG linears (read 3000+ watts).
Then it evolved into removing the rectifiers and running HV A/C amplifiers (tube finals) with power levels in the tens of thousands of watts.

CRazy stuff.

Check out the alternator setups in this video....all just to run big CB amplifiers.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QrD4-GTN2uo[/video]

bigskypylot

Explorer
Getting alternator in now but found that my 5yr old Griffin radiator is leaking from the bottom tank. Calling Griffin to see what they have to say about it.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Well that's a bummer. Always something......

Yes, sure is.

**Update**

Found a shop that does aluminum tank repairs with a good reputation. Looks like they'll be able to fix the radiator. Will be taking it in either tomorrow or the next day.

It's weeping from one area and pooling on top of the tank. Not as bad as I had suspected and it's repairable.

FB_IMG_1491252639802.jpg

FB_IMG_1491252651101.jpg

FB_IMG_1491252657070.jpg

bigskypylot

Explorer
Well, radiator is junk due to the way it's manufactured. They use epoxy to attach the headers on the tube at the bottom. A lot of manufacturers are not doing that any longer as its a terrible way to build a radiator. I called Griffin and they said they still manufacture using the same process. They offered me a radiator for $647 rather than the $800 they normally go for. No thanks! I got mine for 547 in a group buy back in 2012. I'll be going with a CSF for $349 and a much better reputation from what I've been told. At this point, I can no longer recommend Griffin Thermal Products

bigskypylot

Explorer
This is going in tomorrow to replace my Griffin. Man, I am still miffed at the fact that Griffin builds that radiator the way they did with the expoy on the top of the bottom tank.
This one is built much better at less than half the price...

17807626_1608795805814996_7022267183216404031_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior