The Pilate - My DIY pop-up truck camper

mrbrefast

So after doing another offroad-focused mod for my new Nissan Titan XD I picked up in December, this Rough Country LED bar...

(a picture will eventually be linked here when I can post links!)

... I continued to speak with Ian, a gentleman whose Youtube video of his DIY truck camper is the basic inspiration for the build I will record here. I am currently unable to post links, likely due to not having enough posts on the forums - that shall change eventually and I will edit in the video.

So, for my inaugural post here, I give you the Mark I *very* rough sketch done in MS Paint, of the layout of the truck camper I plan to build over this spring and summer:

camper layout.jpg

A lot more to come, and soon: this coming weekend I plan to build the storage cart I will use to build the camper upon as well in the garage. I may even force myself to spend the time learning Google Sketchup to get a proper CAD type of drawing to replace my very artful MS Paint graphic above :D

mkish

Adventurer
This should be good! So many more interesting options when you don't have to include 2 kids, a dog, and a spouse!

(I don't think there are any link posting restrictions. Maybe someone who pays more attention can confirm? Try again!)

mrbrefast

An outline and an outlook on the project

So I am sitting through a graduate course that isn't interesting, and I wanted to try and lay out my thoughts on this project, not necessarily in full but I will try and hit the full breadth of what is to be considered here.

1) Basic intention: I plan to do a year-long trip to all 50 states (driving to/in Alaska; fly to Hawaii so I can complete the whole set) and a good portion of Canada. I purchased my 2016 Nissan Titan XD to have the best fuel efficiency and reliability I can get while still being able to carry a truck camper of some sort. This truck can tow 12,000 lbs easily so I could save a lot of trouble by just getting a used camper trailer of some sort, or even building my own off-road trailer. But, in short, I don't want the hassle - I want to be able to camp offroad and easily park my camping in a national park or museum or any other parking lot. In short: I want a truck camper customized for my use to do this trip solo, keeping the weight down (well under the ~1750 lbs payload limit on the truck) and reduce aerodynamic drag to allow for the best possible fuel efficiency for such a long trip. I also love the notion of rolling up to a site; turning off the truck; and after pushing/ratcheting up the roof, I am able to sleep or cook or otherwise... vacate instantly.

2) DIY as outlook: there are many great products out there (here's looking at you, Four Wheel Campers). But besides the fact that I greatly enjoy and prefer do it yourself projects... I am simply unwilling to pay $17,000 or more for what is functionally a box possessing cleverness and refinement. Even still, there are obviously things I cannot make myself or would be silly to try and do - so I will pay the money for an expensive ARB-style fridge that runs on super low amperage; I may even shell out for a 270 degree awning because the developed product is just a clean and elegant solution to "easy to store and use awning that looks decent." But for as much of the project as possible, I will do the work and so forth myself.

3) Major focuses for the build:eek:bviously there will be other items implied or later added to this list, but for now:
-solar power and battery setup capable of running a few simple internal and external LEDs; the fridge setup; and 2 roof vent fans + 2 internal fans for the whole evening on battery and then the fridge alone while driving (100 watts?)
-externally-accessible storage for transit-related tools and items - so immediately behind the cab, lockable storage with an internal ~20 gallon diesel tank; storage for two of the 2.5 gallon DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) containers so I am not stuck in the middle of no where going 5mph; an oil change and fuel filters for when I hit 10,000 miles on the trip; jack stands; and the accessories for my Hi-Lift Jack.
-a slide mechanism that operates in two axes: while internal to the camper, the bed platform folds up and linear motion bearings allow me to lift the kitchen to be comfortably used at my standing height (6'4"). Then, and likely to see a LOT more use, a rear access door to allow the kitchen to slide out behind the truck and under the awning; so I can do my cooking outside and leave all that waste heat there :)
-a compound hard side/soft side pop-up: by this, I intend to do a rigid rear wall for the pop-up including a top portion to the door so I can more comfortably get into and out of the rig. The sides and front pop-up walls will be fabric of some sort with significant numbers of screened windows so I can get maximum airflow whenever I want it.
-a photography rig: I am toying with the notion of making the roof reinforced and with a simple system for an awning up there, to use the not-popped-up roof as a platform for photography and safety if wildlife is about; I certainly want to include an internal mount for a monitor and laptop I can use off the solar for a bit to post the photos I like to sites like this one; a cellular range-extending antenna; and probably a ham radio for emergency purposes
-trying to maximize fuel efficiency with careful choices about design and mounting on the truck

4) A genuine learning experience in lightweight, strong design: I have a background in carpentry and (more recently) automotive mechanics; I have done some simple metal fabrication and generally thoroughly enjoy projects where I get to build something. My hope here is to use cedar for the water resistance for the frame along with a few pieces of plywood for structural rigidity/strength. There will be the good old Home Depot 1.5" (or so) pink insulation foam inside all the walls and then the camper will be sheathed in aluminum with gasketed fasteners and corner trim. More specifics to come but I will certainly strive to keep costs as low as I can will keeping the camper's weight low, as well.

5) Next step... I will need to figure out how I will build the storage cart for this monster. My hope is to build atop the cart inside the garage and then eventually use it for storing the camper more stably than just jacks at the four corners. But I am not sure I conceptually have determined how to make the cart low to the ground (for both fitting inside the garage as I build it up; and for stability when it is sitting on the ground) while also capable of safely lifting the camper high enough to attach the jack stands for it to get it high enough to sit on the truck bed. Any and all ideas are welcome, but currently I am thinking of electric actuators (from work for cheap!) to raise it a few feet up from the cart when I want to load it.

That is all I will get down in writing for tonight. I greatly look forward to (soon) reaching the point where I can begin to post photos here. :sombrero:

mrbrefast

So it has continued to be a very busy year; but I have spent my free time trying to further search and research into this issue, and I have come to a basic realization:

The rather slim 1750 lb carrying limit on my truck + the fact that I would like to do a very lengthy trip to hit all the states in a row plus a goodly portion of Canada and therefore need a lot of gear and tools with me for fun and safety + (Between my desk job; owning a small business on the side for computer and car repair; doing another master's degree; and then having a zillion hobbies) = I do not know if I have the time or inclination to really dive into a DIY truck camper at this time.

It also helps that the cost of having an extremely-durable trailer can be so cheap thanks to surplus auctions (like this one I am eying carefully). There are also a slew of fantastic builds out there which inspire me to really want to dive in to the pretty straightfoward work of building a paradise on the trailer base; rather than some complicated engineering to balance weight/strength/costs for the truck camper shell even before considering what I must have/only sort of want to have on the insides.

Can anyone talk me back into building a truck camper? Because the more I have thought about it, the more I am thinking the significantly increased versatility of the trailer is worth the high difficulties parking and also the presumably lowered fuel efficiency.

But towing means I can put a diesel 4x4 ATV into the bed of my truck and use the fuel bowser I will add to the trailer for extended day trips to sight-see. And pay for said used 4x4 with savings from the easier offroad trailer and its lower costs to build because weight is a non-issue. Which is oh-so-tempting. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94