New to me 99 Suburban: 5.7 vortec repairs

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
Any idea what year axle is bolt in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any 9.5” from an 88-98 4x4 will bolt right in.
8 lug axles would need the 6 lug axle shafts.

Some 2500 4x4’s had 6 lugs and those are going to have the 9.5”
Some 1/2 tons had the 9.5” 6 lug

If you are having issues finding one converting an 8 lug axle to 6 lug is an option.

To help in finding one watch for ads “parting out”. Not only will you be more likely to find one but it’ll be less expensive as well.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Shop test drove it, says the rear noise is brake related. Says the front diff has some bearing problems. They are going to put it on the rack tomorrow to make sure. Ballpark is $1000 for reman front diff installed.

Is there any way to disconnect the front and drive 2wd?

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Nevermind! Shop thinks it's a rear bearing of some sort. Wants $850 to replace all the bearings. Yeeeeahhhh, no.

Anyone know a good rebuild kit? Not going to have time to get a 14 by the time we need this.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer

The link wasn't working properly. But I found what you were doing me to.

However, in order to get a kit before this weekend, my choices were limited. Local gear shop only carried motive kits, and they are seriously acting like snobs. So I'm going to pick up https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/...tall-kit-with-koyo-bearings-r10rmk/19640234-P with a 25% off coupon. It's motive kit #r10rmk with koyo bearings. They didn't carry the timken kit. I'm still hoping for a 14 bolt down the road, so I'll worry about getting better bearings another time.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
Do these gears have too much play in them?

One thing I definitely notice in that short clip is that top spider gear should not be walking up/down
Where you will get play that requires a rebuild is in the pinion.
How much the yoke moves vs how much the ring gear moves is what you are checking

I feel you on the time crunch. I just had a 4.10 geared 9.5” stolen (along with a bunch of other stuff) from some rural property we have. I needed that axle for our trip to Alabama (we leave today)

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Do these gears have too much play in them?

One thing I definitely notice in that short clip is that top spider gear should not be walking up/down
Where you will get play that requires a rebuild is in the pinion.
How much the yoke moves vs how much the ring gear moves is what you are checking

I feel you on the time crunch. I just had a 4.10 geared 9.5” stolen (along with a bunch of other stuff) from some rural property we have. I needed that axle for our trip to Alabama (we leave today)

Do you think I should get new spider gears as well?

Ppl can't leave things that aren't theirs alone.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Well there's yer problem right there... I said from the start of believed it was a pinion bearing.

Everything else seemed ok. Gears look good, spiders I'm not 100%, but no obvious chunks out. I'll hold off on spiders till I replace with a posi or locker. Either way I could change them without pulling the carrier later.

5511c046ee77e988357eb776659316c8.jpg
8a1fd16f3ccf972df6b80bd0354a090a.jpg
1fc2d1da80783d846bb372da8d0102e0.jpg

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
153901934541af3c0a0c4c5ef4a044e0.jpg
Oh man. Bought some new leaf springs, but can't get them installed. These bolts holding the old leaf in are a pain. Couldn't even get it with a bfh. All I did was dent the end of the rebar I was using to hit the end of the bolt with. Tried to cut them out with reciprocating saw. Ruined the blade in .02 seconds. Tried a bit of heat, but since it's the fuel line side of the frame I didn't want to use too much. Already dealt with a fuel leak last week...

I'm just going to take the new spring packs apart and put all the supporting leafs under the old top leaf...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles