New to me 99 Suburban: 5.7 vortec repairs

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Those old shocks were disgusting. They even had green mold on them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like something you'd find at an archaeological site. :archaeolo
(English accent) "And here we see the remnants of an ancient civilisation. Nobody knows what these tubes were used for, but they always seemed to be found in sets of 4."

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Looks like something you'd find at an archaeological site. :archaeolo
(English accent) "And here we see the remnants of an ancient civilisation. Nobody knows what these tubes were used for, but they always seemed to be found in sets of 4."

By the amount of dirt and rust that came off while removing them, it did look like an archeological dig.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Meanwhile on my Jeep...
e5a73c1a97581f222f5339aadd130fc2.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's amazing. And ridiculous. How big of a cheater bar or hammer were you using?

/soak in penetrating oil for a night or three and try using an impact gun next time. Less chance of getting hurt that way, too.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
That's amazing. And ridiculous. How big of a cheater bar or hammer were you using?

/soak in penetrating oil for a night or three and try using an impact gun next time. Less chance of getting hurt that way, too.

Yeah. That was a pain. Took awhile too. Used pb blaster, spent two weekends working on it. Impact broke one bolt. Couldn't get the others to budge with impact. The wrench was on top while I used a three foot cheater on the bottom. Snapped it. Ended up cutting them. These were the bolts holding the skid plate and hitch. Needed to drop them in order to drop the tank that had a line leaking. I think something bit it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's about the only thing I'm going to miss about the desert southwest. No rust / corrosion.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
It's been awhile.

We're moving this weekend and using a heavy trailer, so I figured it would be a good time to install the procomp add a leaf.

Yeah. That wasn't such a great idea. I worked through the driver's side, cutting off the u bolts and center pin because the aforementioned rust on this thing is substantial. Took a sledge to get the u bolts loose from the plate. Figured everything out, installed the pack, good to go.

And then I looked at the passenger side...
05686f7341a5dd306831f2cd4a20a72d.jpg

Well that doesn't look own...

Closest spring manufacturer was 40 min away, and closed in 45 min. Well crap, now what? I figured what the heck. I pulled the broken leaf and installed the aal.

Here's the carnage:
a33d66eb47ed925b23066821b73411ee.jpg

My hb impact bit the dust when putting the last wheel back on.

Pass side sits 3/4" lower than driver's side. Plan is to go to pick and pull to get another leaf to replace the broken one.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
Installed some rs5000 shocks. All four were $140 after discounts, with an additional $30 in rebates. When I installed the fronts, I noticed the old shocks had dents in them. I then realized that when installed, the bump stop put a scrape and dent on the new shocks. I believe these are monotube shocks. Any advice? The dent is probably 1/8" at deepest, about three inches from bottom.

Here are the old shocks.
ed66e4eecc1c9ed06a563660595b46bc.jpg
94248439b798bbd85f544fac6a37a039.jpg
3f6e8e7d74b6fe449e13d814995aa7e5.jpg

Those old shocks were disgusting. They even had green mold on them!

Those Rancho’s are twin tube not monotube.
You’ll be fine.

Orion1985

Just read through the entire thread,and I can definitely understand ones frustration with things braking down. I bought a 1996 gmc K1500 with 154,000 km on it. it had the typical gmc/Chevy rear engine seal leak and weeping oil cooler lines. I took it home and went to start it the next day and it just turned over and sputtered and stalled, long story short it was the first of a few fuel pumps I would have to put in it as well as a host of other parts from radiator to intake manifold gaskets, diff seals, shocks and leaf springs etc. But at the end of it all, it's is still far cheaper then a new vehicle and you learn an important skill set, that has gotten me out of a pickle once or twice. Keep up the work and you will hopefully have a solid vehicle that you know well.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Weeeeellllll,I has me a problem.

Couple days ago I turned down the heater, because it was no longer 7* outside. I then turned off the radio because I was sick of political talk radio for the week. Then I heard it. I slight scuffing noise. I thought it sounded like a brake pad getting to thin and beginning to scuff the rotor.

Yesterday I was driving with the door open. Realized the sound was coming from under the truck, middle area. Rut row.

This morning I jacked the rear wheels off the ground to see if I could get the sound to come out of hiding. Turned driver's wheel, which turned the pass wheel opposite direction, same speed. Good. I know I have an open diff. Slight noise, hard to pinpoint. Could just be gears moving without lube yet. Then turned the driver's wheel opposite direction, and the pass wheel would barely move. Same issue when I switched sides.

Question: should opposite side wheels be moving at same speed no matter which direction I move a wheel?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Sometimes.

My money is on the known transfer case rub-thru. Up high on the top front face.

rayra

Expedition Leader
You're not gonna like it, so don't look into it until you are sure your 4wd solenoids are all working as they should. Probably ought to look at them all anyway.

I'm not sure it affects your year anyway, but I recall reading an article listing a couple of transfer cases that have been in use for many years / across both generations.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/48648-hole-in-my-transfer-case/?page=5

There's also been a discussion here at expo about it, but I don't have it bookmarked. It might have involved either BurbOne or Stryder106. Maybe some searches here on the transfer case model numbers will turn it up - NP236, NP246, NP261, NP263

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Yikes. I have np8, which would be np246. I haven't noticed any issues with 4wd. Been using Auto 4wd last couple weeks with slush and snow. I did see that the output shaft seal looked a little greasy, but nothing all over the underside. My 98 Grand Cherokee had a failing output shaft seal. Now that was a mess. I'll take a look at it again tonight though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94