94 SR with engine issues throwing codes 22 and 23

smokeymtn

Several years ago I bought a 1994 Montero SR that had some issues passing emissions in Arizona with about 150k miles on it. I replaced the Valve Stem Seals, replaced the timing gear, spark plugs, plug wires and pretty much anything else that was on the maintenance schedule for >90k miles. I was able to get it to pass emissions and used it as my daily driver for several months without any issues.

That is until I tried to drive it across country to NC, whereupon it died about halfway and left me stuck on the side of I-40. A buddy towed it back to his house and it sat there for several years before I finally just recently had it sent to me in NC to try again.

Symptoms are that it dies when it gets warm, especially if it's under load. Generally it will run for about 15-20 minutes until it starts to misfire so bad that it won't stay running. Since I have EvoScan I was able to pull off a bunch of data on my last test run and most importantly got the diagnostic codes when the check engine light finally came on and it wouldn't run any more. Those codes were code 22 (crankshaft position sensor) and code 23 (camshaft position sensor).

It seems a little bit odd that both the crankshaft and the camshaft position sensor would throw codes at the same time, so I was hoping to see if anyone here had any ideas on how to best troubleshoot and isolate my issue because I'd really like to get this truck out of my yard and onto a trail. I've already put more in parts into this thing than I paid for it and I'd prefer not to continue throwing money at it blindly.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Given the age of the vehicle, unless you have maintenance history on those sensors, it wouldn't be a total loss to me to replace them. Before that though I'd check coolant temp sensor since it's cheaper and much easier to replace, since your problems seem temperature related.

Bottomfeeder

Observer
I had the same issue in my 95 SR
I have replaced my crank sensor 4 times. (do not use anything except genuine Mitsu for replacement, they don't work)

Down load this manual. Go to page 321 and follow the procedure.

http://mitsubishilinks.com/fsm/montero_fsm_1992-1995_enginechassisbody.pdf

The following part was the culprit of part of my issues. The spacer was worn and caused the sensor ring to contact the sensor. The other part of my issue is, the ground wire to the sensor has too much voltage. We are in the process of locating the short by testing the harness all the way back to the ECM. Hope this helps narrow your problem. Thank you to Fasteddy for pointing me in the right direction on this issue.

http://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...gine/engine-cat/engine-scat/?part_name=spacer

smokeymtn

Is this the sensor you are referring to Salonika: MD149338?

Thanks for the link Bottomfeeder, I'll give that procedure a try tomorrow.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Yep that looks like it. I'm not sure about your specific part #, but that is what I was talking about.

smokeymtn

Well, had to wait for a few of my wife's projects to get evicted from the garage, but finally had a chance to take everything off and replace the sensors. This is what I found behind the crankshaft pully...
20170527_205944.jpg

So, I'm hoping that's what it is, will find out tomorrow when I put it all back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier