Anyone tried using an Explorer?

Paul B.

Adventurer
NO. I was not commenting on your comment...Just the OP. I do believe that you can do a 2" with little trouble. I remember looking at one a couple of years ago.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. My pertinent contribution to this subject is 3rd gen and previous Explorers are definitely better than 4th gen for modification options. Basically look under the rear end. If it has a solid rear end, you can work with that, if it's independently sprung, you would need to be a custom fabricator to do something with it.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
not really a couple of spring spacers just to lift it a couple of inches wont do anthing adverse. same as lifting my patriot. 2"...over that it gets really wonky..but 2" on an independent rig is not a big deal.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
My $0.02....
Downside items. MPG was horrible. Loaded or unloaded, never more than 12-14 max.
I think this is the Achilles heel of many mid-size SUVs and trucks. By the time you get a decent set of off road tires and recovery equipment, you're back to getting < 15 mpg, sometimes WAY less.
Back when I had my 2wd Ranger I was on a bunch of Ranger boards and the 4x4 section was full of people b!tching about the terrible MPG they got. Even if they ordered a 3.0 V6 (vs. 4.0) and a 5 speed (vs. auto), 15 seemed to be the best they could do and if they went up even one size in tires, it would plummet to 12 - 13. Lots of guys on there saying "if I wanted to get 12mpg I would have gotten an F-150 with a V8." And to make matters worse, the 3.0 was a pretty underpowered engine - the joke on the forums was "the power of a 4 cylinder with the fuel economy of a V8!"
If you're going to get crap MPG anyway, why not just get a full size? You get a bigger engine, bigger fuel tank, bigger and more comfortable interior and the overall package isn't all that much larger than a "compact" or "mid sized."

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
Actually the Explorer Market, is getting alot better. First and Second Gen, the LT and Midtravel setups are readily available.
I beleive even for the 3rd gen/explorer trac, you can get front upper arms, and midtravel for them.
The suspension game has come along way.
I know several 1-3 gen explorers that are done up nicely. the 2gen with the awd and v8, is great truck, you can also put a manual t-case in it from the f-150 or expedition i believe. My buddy just converted a 2000 Merc Mountaineer, with the 5.0 to a TTB LT truck, also made it 4wd. OUt of the box, with some decent tires it would serve you well.
Some of them come with Limited slips, and are dime a dozen. Around these parts, you can find them with low miles, and in the 3k range, in mint condition.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
i have a 2004 Explorer XLT. V6. It has 7 Seats, leather everywhere, DVD in the back for the kids, sunroof, ac, 12V plugs in the front and back, 6' sleeping area, etc.

We now live in BC, but we bought it 10 years ago in NY when we lived there. It has been back and forth across the country a few times, up north, down every logging road in the rockies, done thousands of miles of washboard, and pretty much been unkillable.

We've slept in the back, camped out of it, and when we did our last trip to PA and back last year I installed a $300 Class 4 hitch, put a basket on the back, and loaded it with all our stuff (we have three teen boys so they have a fair amount of stuff).

When I lived in the mountains I put a bigger set of BFG ATs on it, (235/85R16 IIRC) no need to lift, they fit ok and I could still run cable chains in the winter. They were an E rated tire so they took abuse with no complaints.

The standard roof rack carries my canoe, skis, kayaks, bikes, etc. The rear hitch has carried a 250 CC dirt bike. The traction control is not as good as a Land Rover, but not bad.

It does have independent suspension front and rear, but so far we've had no issues it, beyond new CV joints at about 200K miles.

I appreciate the proper low range transfer case (I think this was the last generation to have that) and the solid frame. I've towed a camping trailer up logging roads without issue.

FYI - this is not the only arrow in our quiver, we have a Defender 110 (200 tdi), a half dozen other rovers, and I had a Suburban before which I sold. Yet we often take the Explorer on longer trips.

The Explorer is not a perfect truck, it's not a rock crawler, you won't tow an airstream over the rockies, and you need more than a crescent wrench to fix it, but honestly, for 99.9% of what someone needs to do when they are looking for an "overlander" (not a rock crawler) then the price/comfort/availability-of-spares for these trucks is pretty hard to beat. There are not many places it won't go in low range with a set of maxtrax and a good spotter.

If you buy one, go for the V8, the V6 we have has plastic timing chain guides and they are a pain to change when the mileage gets high.

Just my $0.02

ExplorerTom

Explorer
If you're going to get crap MPG anyway, why not just get a full size? You get a bigger engine, bigger fuel tank, bigger and more comfortable interior and the overall package isn't all that much larger than a "compact" or "mid sized."

Which is EXACTLY why I bought my Expedition. Initially I was looking for a 3rd or 4th gen Explorer (wanted 3rd row seating for the rare occasion we need it). But for the same price I got my Expedition.

SGNellett

Adventurer
Which is EXACTLY why I bought my Expedition. Initially I was looking for a 3rd or 4th gen Explorer (wanted 3rd row seating for the rare occasion we need it). But for the same price I got my Expedition.

This was something I noticed when shopping for my last DD. I was looking at Explorers, Durangos, etc.. and it turned out there was no real saving in cost or mileage over most of the similar fullsize maybe 2 years older....

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
There really is no gas saving going to a mid size from a full size. But there is a lot more space!

Watt maker

There's a 3rd gen Explorer (red and grey) by my mother in laws in Albuquerque that is lifted a little with bigger tires and at least a different rear bumper. It actually doesn't look half bad and it could probably go to some places without any issues. I believe the owner tows a small pop-up camper with it.

We also have a 3rd gen Ex at work. It has a V6 with the full time 4x4 t-case in it. It does have high miles but I wouldn't consider it reliable enough to go into remote territory. Even when it was newer, it just seems like there was always something broke or going out in it. We do take it off-road to check wells and other things but if the roads are muddy at all, you will probably end up stuck as the traction control system doesn't help off-road at all. That and there's very little suspension articulation, as soon as you lift a wheel, you're done.

Now I have seen a few built 1st and 2nd gens on the trails and they seem to do pretty well.

IMHO, Ford screwed up with the latest gen. They should've gave us something to compete with the 4runner, Xterra, and even the Wrangler. Ford already had a few different CUVs as it was.

SlinginIron

We have a 2007 ford explorer and I have often thought about modding that into an overland vehicle. (I'm just on the fence on whether I want to put my dollars into the Exploder or the Bronco) It has been well taken care of and has not had any mechanical issues. It just rolled 100,000 miles and I don't think another hundy would be an issue at all. It has been difficult to find lifts/mods for it but, they are out there e.g. https://autoplicity.com/9013795-ran...2-susp-systm?gclid=CL2xvuqv49MCFUNcfgody9IKQQ. The lifts only allow for 1.5-2 inches but, that easily allows for 33" tires. I have 32" BFG ATs on now with no rub. Looking at explorer forums, you can find that some have been modded for rock crawling and overlanding applications and some of them are done quite well. The thing that always held me back from pursuing adventure mods was the "advance trac" traction control system which is disabled in 4-low but only stays disabled in 4-hi until about 15 mph. You can't really disable it because it is controled in part by the ABS system which obviously applies braking to the slipping wheel to keep your power going to a wheel with traction. The system works fine to keep you moving but, I hate the fact that it would cut engine rpm when I wanted a little juice. I have learned however, that if you install e or air lockers that there is no reason for the advance trac to engage and you also will not loose any systems by doing a shoddy disable of the traction control. The next issue I had with it was that it flexes like a brick so the full independent suspension advantage is lost. If there was a disengageable sway bar like the Rubicon there wouldn't be any issues. So for now, one would have to choose between on road stability (which is fantastic) or off-road flex. It is a body on frame and the towing capacity is as much or more than most half-ton pickups of the same time frame (with the class 4 tow package and the 4.6L V8). It also has a Ford 8.8 rear-end which is plenty tough. I think it would really be a good adventure vehicle but, as previously mentioned, you will have to calculate what you want to spend on mods. For most overlanders, you really don't need any mods except for some decent tires and knowing how to use the traction control. They aren't too wide, and ground clearance is adequate for most logging raods and light/moderate trails. I've actually been impressed at how capable the rig has been. Like anything, it just takes time and money to get what you want.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
...as I am currently doing a re-think on the explorer; at this point I would recommend that anyone that wants to do anything but very easy off roading to stay away from any except possibly the twin traction beam models.
The post twin traction beam IFS models have very weak axle/CV shafts and very little/abysmal front wheel travel.
Especially avoid the 4.0 SOHC v-6... It is a major engineering faux pas..(read; MISTAKE), due to the excessive number and length of timing chains not to mention the plastic on the timing chain tensioners).
I recently (last weekend) got 23 to 24 MPG on the interstate @ 75 mph so the mileage is not all that bad for a 4wd SUV.

My current quandary is whether to trade it on a Jeep TJ (actual on/off road vehicle) or to drop an ARB (air locker) and gears into it in an effort to make it capable of doing moderate trails well enough just to get to some better campsites; not for wheeling...

Enjoy!

Mike.rider

Observer
The 96-2001 explorer SLA suspension can be made very durable with a few mods and is plenty durable with a good pair of quality shocks. Plus Parts are plentiful and cheap.

My ranger runs the same suspension and has not been any more problematic than any other rig I have owned.

Mine is a little more on the custom side now but I have run just about every variant of lift or mod the the front end of these rigs.

934b6e351e8b8e409e5d638c6aae3146.jpg

92ba849e0944d3ae2a1bc6275144bc42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Sounds great!
Do you have any measurements of before and after front wheel travel?
Do you take it on any of the harder trails? (We use Moab Rim trail for a warm-up when we go to Moab but I will be (relatively) happy if I can just get it out of Metberry Gulch near Divide Co. under its own power without winching/towing (rated as an easy 4 out of 10 level trail)...
...so far, in stock form, mine fails miserably on our "try out the mods" hill (stock/near stock; flatties, CJ's, TJ's, XJ's, Grand Cherokees, old Wagoneers and Cherokees, old Blazers, all manner of Toyotas (except RAV4's and their ilk) and TTB Rangers do it pretty easily) tire lifting, classic (close tread block) all terrains and open diffs are this Explorer's biggest problems thus far.
Trying to keep this one civilized so I will likely not go with tires bigger than 32" (measured) in diameter (partially compensated for with 4.10 gears) they will be mud tires though, and no lift...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I did Hacket Gulch with mine before the SAS. Did fine. 33" tires and 4.56 gears helped. Open diffs and torsion bar suspension though.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
That's relatively impressive for a near stock IFS explorer, have met folks on Hackett that couldn't even get to the rock (and not just in Exporers), let alone over it (hope fully you didn't have to take the bypass)... did you go clear to the river?
Took mine out yesterday to see how much snow there is at altitude; managed to lift a front tire over a water bar (purposefully took a less than optimal line, just to see if it would; and it did).
The transfer case shift motor quit working (not related to tire lifting), jamming it in low range (slow trip home)... I am developing a dislike for modern/"civilized" vehicles. (Need to investigate retrofitting front manual lockouts/hubs, now... perhaps bronco 2 or early Ranger parts).
...Give me, Reliable, old timey levers, and pedals on/through the floor, anytime!

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles