Hiker Trailer 5x9 Off-Road Build

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Nice! I'm glad you started this thread. I plan to get one ordered soon. I like the under floor storage. What do you use the propane for - cooking? Anything else? I was thinking maybe a heater - if there's such an animal for this small of a cabin. Why did you get the spare option if your wheels & tires match your tow rig? Was the solar panel included as part of the solar package? Excellent place to store it, under the floor! Also noticed in the rear where you store your "Rtic", is that just a cooler or is it a 12v fridge? You might want to install a slide out tray for that as it doesn't look to be accessible without pulling it out everytime you want something out of it. Great pics, though!!! Thanks for posting! I'll be tuned in to your progress, as I imagine a lot of folks will. The lead time for Hiker/Lead Dog to get one of these 4x4 Extremes is like 6 months!

Nice! I'm glad you started this thread. I plan to get one ordered soon. I like the under floor storage. What do you use the propane for - cooking? Anything else? I was thinking maybe a heater - if there's such an animal for this small of a cabin. Why did you get the spare option if your wheels & tires match your tow rig? Was the solar panel included as part of the solar package? Excellent place to store it, under the floor! Also noticed in the rear where you store your "Rtic", is that just a cooler or is it a 12v fridge? You might want to install a slide out tray for that as it doesn't look to be accessible without pulling it out everytime you want something out of it. Great pics, though!!! Thanks for posting! I'll be tuned in to your progress, as I imagine a lot of folks will. The lead time for Hiker/Lead Dog to get one of these 4x4 Extremes is like 6 months!

Thanks for checking it out!

Propane will be for the stove and eventually hot water.

We got the spare for two reasons: We sometimes pull with my lady's Jeep which has different wheels/tires, and if we happen to blow a tire 1000 miles from home, we won't need to worry about getting it repaired or replaced until we get back.

The in floor storage is awesome! Perfect size for the panel, tent/awning accessories, camp chairs, etc. The solar panel comes with the top level solar package which includes the charge controller, and inverter as well. We purchased through Hiker as the price was pretty close to what we could find on our own and everything was able to be wrapped into financing that way.

Yeah, we're having a tough time coming up with a perfect design/layout for the galley. The Rtic is just a 45qt cooler. We had originally planned on installing a fridge w/a slider back there, we even have a 12v cigarette lighter plug installed for it. But, the space isn't deep enough to have the cooler, or any decent size fridge, go in longways unless you shorten the sleeper by a few inches. And if you turn it sideways it takes up most of the bottom shelf, leaving an awkwardly small gap leftover. I think we're leaning towards building a slideout on the left for the stove and a drawer and putting a couple more drawers on the right.

Something like this might work too:

Overland_Kitchen_Camping_1_grande.jpg

Overland_Kitchen_Camping_Overall_grande.jpg

I know those front door fridges aren't as durable or efficient as an ARB/Engel style, but it would fit the space a lot better. A couple of guys running this trailer have built an enclosed box with a slider for fridge on the front where the open deck is on mine. Or, we could just strap the cooler on the front deck for transport. Or, we've also considered putting a fridge w/slider in the back of the Jeep so it's w/us even if we leave the trailer at camp. One other big consideration for us here are bears. The Rtic is is bear proof when locked and can be left outside on the ground so if a bear decides he wants your snacks, he won't be clawing at the trailer or the rig to get at them.

So many options. Just need to figure out what's going to work best for us. Definitely open to suggestions though!

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider

We got the spare for two reasons: We sometimes pull with my lady's Jeep which has different wheels/tires, and if we happen to blow a tire 1000 miles from home, we won't need to worry about getting it repaired or replaced until we get back.

The in floor storage is awesome! Perfect size for the panel, tent/awning accessories, camp chairs, etc. The solar panel comes with the top level solar package which includes the charge controller, and inverter as well. We purchased through Hiker as the price was pretty close to what we could find on our own and everything was able to be wrapped into financing that way.

Yeah, we're having a tough time coming up with a perfect design/layout for the galley. The Rtic is just a 45qt cooler. We had originally planned on installing a fridge w/a slider back there, we even have a 12v cigarette lighter plug installed for it. But, the space isn't deep enough to have the cooler, or any decent size fridge, go in longways unless you shorten the sleeper by a few inches. And if you turn it sideways it takes up most of the bottom shelf, leaving an awkwardly small gap leftover. I think we're leaning towards building a slideout on the left for the stove and a drawer and putting a couple more drawers on the right......I know those front door fridges aren't as durable or efficient as an ARB/Engel style, but it would fit the space a lot better. A couple of guys running this trailer have built an enclosed box with a slider for fridge on the front where the open deck is on mine. Or, we could just strap the cooler on the front deck for transport. Or, we've also considered putting a fridge w/slider in the back of the Jeep so it's w/us even if we leave the trailer at camp. One other big consideration for us here are bears. The Rtic is is bear proof when locked and can be left outside on the ground so if a bear decides he wants your snacks, he won't be clawing at the trailer or the rig to get at them.

So many options. Just need to figure out what's going to work best for us. Definitely open to suggestions though!
Yeah, the kitchen concerns me, also. I'm trying to imagine & plan ahead of time how to set it up. I already have a National Luna 50L Weekender fridge/freezer in the back of my Land Cruiser. Like you suggested - it might be a good idea to just leave it there for trips away from camp. Also, it is so convenient for like, grocery trips around home. If you get delayed, you can just pop the items needed to keep cold or frozen in it (if they fit...lol). And it's a 2-3 hour trip to a Walmart or Costco, so it's handy on supply runs, for me. One things for sure, I'm getting an awning like the Foxwing. I like the idea of the 270 degree cover. The Foxwing is a too fragile for the wind, for me. Winds get kinda ferocious at times. I've heard of and seen write ups on an awning called Ostridge Wing that is sturdier than the Foxwing. Trouble is I've yet to find a source here in the U.S.A. for it - or a price in USD.

And it's a 2-3 hour trip to a Walmart or Costco, so it's handy on supply runs, for me. One things for sure, I'm getting an awning like the Foxwing. I like the idea of the 270 degree cover. The Foxwing is a too fragile for the wind, for me. Winds get kinda ferocious at times. I've heard of and seen write ups on an awning called Ostridge Wing that is sturdier than the Foxwing. Trouble is I've yet to find a source here in the U.S.A. for it - or a price in USD.

We are you located? I thought we were out there but it only takes an 1.5 hrs for us to get to Walmart/Costco ��. And yeah, we basically wrap the awnings up as soon as we feel a breeze. We may be a little over cautious now but we had an incident a few years back with the Sunseeker. We had it mounted on the rig and were just setting it up at camp and hadn't yet staked it down, when a gust snatched it, flipped it over the roof of the Jeep, and broke one of the poles. We were out in the desert for a week in July with no shade. Either way, the wing style awning is key on these types of trailers, or at least a rear awning like the Rhino Rack Dome. We end up hanging out on the back of the trailer mostly.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
We are you located? I thought we were out there but it only takes an 1.5 hrs for us to get to Walmart/Costco . And yeah, we basically wrap the awnings up as soon as we feel a breeze. We may be a little over cautious now but we had an incident a few years back with the Sunseeker. We had it mounted on the rig and were just setting it up at camp and hadn't yet staked it down, when a gust snatched it, flipped it over the roof of the Jeep, and broke one of the poles. We were out in the desert for a week in July with no shade. Either way, the wing style awning is key on these types of trailers, or at least a rear awning like the Rhino Rack Dome. We end up hanging out on the back of the trailer mostly.
You must be using your phone for EP (Expedion Portal). Yeah, it's convenient, but there's so much that is missed - like locations (if they're posted). I'm in Eastern Oregon. John Day would show up on a map, which is in Grant County. Canyon City is the county seat and that's where I live. It's actually right next to John Day - could be considered a suburb (city speak...lol). It's 3 hrs to Bend (West), 3 hrs to Ontario, (East), 2 hrs to Pendleton, (North) and really nothing South - 'cept Burns which is not much bigger than John Day.

Yeah, wind is a big consideration in my experience. Baja will send you packing if you're not prepared, seriously! I do more Desert-like camping, than Forest camping. Currently I use a CVT hardshell RTT. It's held up pretty well, but for extended overlanding I've found that my Land Cruiser is just "packed to the gills" and too much of a hassle or expensive to get organized like I'd like it to be. Plus, It's getting up on the miles (275k). I thought about a utility and move my RTT to it, but in traveling with the ROF group in Baja (2 yrs in a row, now), the leader of my group had a hardside trailer and it is so much better in wind and incliment weather than the trailer mounted RTTs. Getting a trailer, for me is the answer for room and organization, plus make the transition easier for a new rig, when the time comes. (And I would have room to haul a hardshell kayak instead of my inflatable!) Don't get me wrong - I love my '94 80 series Land Cruiser. But, only I work on my rigs and I'm 63...both of us are getting old...lol!

Last edited:

JCDriller

Adventurer

Yeah, we're having a tough time coming up with a perfect design/layout for the galley. The Rtic is just a 45qt cooler. We had originally planned on installing a fridge w/a slider back there, we even have a 12v cigarette lighter plug installed for it. But, the space isn't deep enough to have the cooler, or any decent size fridge, go in longways unless you shorten the sleeper by a few inches. And if you turn it sideways it takes up most of the bottom shelf, leaving an awkwardly small gap leftover. I think we're leaning towards building a slideout on the left for the stove and a drawer and putting a couple more drawers on the right.

Something like this might work too:

Overland_Kitchen_Camping_1_grande.jpg

Overland_Kitchen_Camping_Overall_grande.jpg

I know those front door fridges aren't as durable or efficient as an ARB/Engel style, but it would fit the space a lot better. A couple of guys running this trailer have built an enclosed box with a slider for fridge on the front where the open deck is on mine. Or, we could just strap the cooler on the front deck for transport. Or, we've also considered putting a fridge w/slider in the back of the Jeep so it's w/us even if we leave the trailer at camp. One other big consideration for us here are bears. The Rtic is is bear proof when locked and can be left outside on the ground so if a bear decides he wants your snacks, he won't be clawing at the trailer or the rig to get at them.

My wife and I are searching for the perfect trailer for us. We love the SOCAL teardrops, but this will be our first trailer and we aren't 100% sure a teardrop is for us due to our future plans for more another kid. I think this trailer offers a lot for the price range. The only thing I don't care for is the galley, they really are wasting so much potential back there with that small door.

Their best option may be a barn door set up like the intech max flyers but wider if possible, something that can minimize loss of space on the sides of a already narrow trailer. Make it a 5x10 and you could likely do nice pull outs, cabinets, etc. like the Scout you showed since you'd have 36" of depth.

My wife and I are searching for the perfect trailer for us. We love the SOCAL teardrops, but this will be our first trailer and we aren't 100% sure a teardrop is for us due to our future plans for more another kid. I think this trailer offers a lot for the price range. The only thing I don't care for is the galley, they really are wasting so much potential back there with that small door.

Their best option may be a barn door set up like the intech max flyers but wider if possible, something that can minimize loss of space on the sides of a already narrow trailer. Make it a 5x10 and you could likely do nice pull outs, cabinets, etc. like the Scout you showed since you'd have 36" of depth.

I agree, the galley on these trailers is a little tricky to work with. If they had a wider door, you could easily fit a decent size fridge in there sideways and still have room to one side of it for a stove/drawer slide out.

They do sell a 5x10 trailer in the medium duty format, but that thing looks like it would be an unwieldy beast in tight spaces.

Can they not just put the other door on the offroad model?

They only have one size for the full size door. There is a smaller 3/4 height upswing offered on the light and medium duty models.

I wonder if anyone even makes a similar door that same height but 1' wider????

aguyfromhawaii

Hey guys I'm so so so interesting in buying one of these trailers. a lot of my camping trips include just me and my 6 year old daughter so having a hard enclosure is very appealing to me. We had an "experience" with a curious moose a couple years back and ever since I've been keeping my eyes open for a safer alternative to ten camping.

My question is about financing. Without getting into any personal details, what's the available terms? Are we able to finance these trailers as a "rv"?? Pushing the term out 10 to 15 years? What are your monthly payments?

I'd love so much to get one of these. Especially with summer right around the corner!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier