Hiker Trailer 5x9 Off-Road Build

needsmoresalt

Financing goes through One Main financial if you use the hiker site. That said, it is like a personal loan and will need collateral. I just ordered mine last week and delivery is October 1st, so keep that in mind if you are going new or not already built.

Capercrew02

Observer
Jcdriller, I have a 5x10 delux with a flipped axle and 32's. It's a great size, and I'm also tossing Around the idea of a side slide out system. Currently my fridge is in the tow vehicle, and the galley still affords itself plenty of storage options for the rest of camping gear. The side cut outs actually offer nice storage solutions, for instance my battery, electrical, and water system are all walled in on the back corner. Flush with the door molding, and on the other side I'm toying with closing it in for bedding.

Hey guys I'm so so so interesting in buying one of these trailers. a lot of my camping trips include just me and my 6 year old daughter so having a hard enclosure is very appealing to me. We had an "experience" with a curious moose a couple years back and ever since I've been keeping my eyes open for a safer alternative to ten camping.

My question is about financing. Without getting into any personal details, what's the available terms? Are we able to finance these trailers as a "rv"?? Pushing the term out 10 to 15 years? What are your monthly payments?

I'd love so much to get one of these. Especially with summer right around the corner!!!

We had cash to use for a down payment from selling our last trailer. The rest we put on a 60 month loan at ~2%. We looked into the financing linked on Hiker's site but they didn't have nearly as good terms. Ended up using a credit union in Idaho that handles a lot of loans for a couple of the big box RV stores in that area like Camping World.

paddlequest

Adventurer
I wanted to write and say thank you for your post...it helped me alot to get the confidence to put a down payment and reserve a build date with Lead Dog Motorsports in Las Vegas. I am a west coast Canada liver, so LV was the easist for me. I have a mid-November build date!! Hmmm....might have to drag it down into Baja for its maiden voyage!! I see a surf trip forming!

aguyfromhawaii

Hey guys. What's the difference between leaddog and hiker trailers?? They seem like the exact same trailer. Any difference in going one over the other?

aguyfromhawaii

Oh and also I'm in Washington and the trails I like to get lost in up here are pretty darn tight. Definitely pin stripping my jeep on occasion. Also there are some gnarly switch backs that you have to go through to get to killer views of the cascades. Knowing this do you guys think I will see much of an improvement in turning capability or the trailer being able to track behind the jeep if I went with a 5x8 rather than the 5x9 off-road?

Pros and cons between the two? 1 foot seems negligible.

Thanks!!

I wanted to write and say thank you for your post...it helped me alot to get the confidence to put a down payment and reserve a build date with Lead Dog Motorsports in Las Vegas. I am a west coast Canada liver, so LV was the easist for me. I have a mid-November build date!! Hmmm....might have to drag it down into Baja for its maiden voyage!! I see a surf trip forming!

Right on!

Hey guys. What's the difference between leaddog and hiker trailers?? They seem like the exact same trailer. Any difference in going one over the other?

Lead Dog is a dealer of Hiker Trailers. They're based out of Las Vegas, NV. Randy Clary, a member on the forum here (username is Lead Dog), is the guy to talk to if you want to pick one up in the far west/southwest.

Oh and also I'm in Washington and the trails I like to get lost in up here are pretty darn tight. Definitely pin stripping my jeep on occasion. Also there are some gnarly switch backs that you have to go through to get to killer views of the cascades. Knowing this do you guys think I will see much of an improvement in turning capability or the trailer being able to track behind the jeep if I went with a 5x8 rather than the 5x9 off-road?

Thanks!!

The 5x9 turns just as tight as my truck will go. Drug it up a few tight roads in Southern Utah recently and had no issues. I can't see how the extra foot makes that much of a difference. If you can't get the 9' in there, you probably can't take an 8' either. Can't see any cons really other than costing a bit more and weighing a few more lbs. Only other difference is another foot of space in the galley area and longer decking behind the fenders.

Last edited:

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader

Thanks!!

When in doubt keep it short!

As a lot of people on forums all over the interwebs are discovering this week, Photobucket sucks. They now want $400/yr to share photos from them to other sites. ******?!

Anyway, I got the important photos moved over to another host so this thread still has something to look at. There's probably a few broken links in here still though.

I also have a couple from a trip earlier this spring on the Greys River Rd near Alpine, WY:

35464725252_88a39966bf_c.jpg

34791554314_833ef30c18_c.jpg

We recently spent two weeks travelling around southern Utah and visiting Zion, Bryce Canyon, and my new favorite NP, Capitol Reef. Still sorting through those pics but will get them uploaded soon.

clcsteve

Thanks for this thread. Lots of good information in it. How long is the trailer overall? Do you keep it in a garage? How does the Lock and Roll hitch feel on the road? Does it tow the same as a fixed tongue?
Thanks again

aguyfromhawaii

Lexus. Do you have any pictures of your trailer? I just heard about them. What are your thoughts? I love how they finally took into consideration departure angle!! I would love to see some pictures of your trailer!

Thanks for this thread. Lots of good information in it. How long is the trailer overall? Do you keep it in a garage? How does the Lock and Roll hitch feel on the road? Does it tow the same as a fixed tongue?
Thanks again

Steve, glad to help. I'll get a tip to tail measurement this evening. I wish we were able to keep it in the garage, currently both bays are filled. Anyone on here looking for an old Jeep???? This old girl is looking for a new home:

Jeep CJ-5A Tuxedo Park Mark IV

The Lock-n-Roll feels solid on or off road. The one thing you'll notice right away is: quiet. These things don't clunk around like a ball hitch or pintle. Obviously, the wider range of articulation makes a huge difference off road. Otherwise, they don't tow any different than a standard hitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz